Mark

Default Electrical Sockets

Hi, I am about to install a fitted kitchen, but would like to do all the 1st
fix electrics myself.

What I would like to know is, what is the ideal height within the kitchen to
chase the walls for wiring and back boxes for the sockets?

The current sockets fitted by the previous owner are all at different
heights, believe me no two sockets are the same height!

So any help would be appreciated.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mark wrote:
Hi, I am about to install a fitted kitchen, but would like to do all the
1st fix electrics myself.

What I would like to know is, what is the ideal height within the
kitchen to chase the walls for wiring and back boxes for the sockets?

The current sockets fitted by the previous owner are all at different
heights, believe me no two sockets are the same height!

If you're going to tile, I'd make sure they are in the middle of a tile
run at least 4" above the worktops to the bottom of a socket.

--
*A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Mark" writes:
Hi, I am about to install a fitted kitchen, but would like to do all the 1st
fix electrics myself.

What I would like to know is, what is the ideal height within the kitchen to
chase the walls for wiring and back boxes for the sockets?

The current sockets fitted by the previous owner are all at different
heights, believe me no two sockets are the same height!

So any help would be appreciated.

You need to decide what height above the worktop you want them.
A typical figure an electrician would use in the absence of any
other info is 105cm from the floor surface to the bottom of the
back box. Don't forget to add on the thickness of any flooring
which isn't yet fitted though.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Stuart Noble

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Mark wrote:

Hi, I am about to install a fitted kitchen, but would like to do all the
1st fix electrics myself.

What I would like to know is, what is the ideal height within the
kitchen to chase the walls for wiring and back boxes for the sockets?

The current sockets fitted by the previous owner are all at different
heights, believe me no two sockets are the same height!

If you're going to tile, I'd make sure they are in the middle of a tile
run at least 4" above the worktops to the bottom of a socket.

I like 6" to the bottom of the box so the first tile sits nicely under
the socket, then 18" above that to the wall units. Can leave you with a
couple of L shaped tiles to cut in the 2nd row though.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
If you're going to tile, I'd make sure they are in the middle of a tile
run at least 4" above the worktops to the bottom of a socket.

I like 6" to the bottom of the box so the first tile sits nicely under
the socket, then 18" above that to the wall units.

That would also be fine, but of course depends on the size of the tiles.

Can leave you with a couple of L shaped tiles to cut in the 2nd row
though.

No problem with an electric tile cutter. ;-)

--
*Some days you're the dog, some days the hydrant.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

chris French

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
If you're going to tile, I'd make sure they are in the middle of a tile
run at least 4" above the worktops to the bottom of a socket.

I like 6" to the bottom of the box so the first tile sits nicely under
the socket, then 18" above that to the wall units.

That would also be fine, but of course depends on the size of the tiles.

Personally I prefer them higher than that, so they are up out of the way
of worktop clutter. but as long as the person using them is happy I
don't think it matters
--
Chris French

Stuart Noble

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:

If you're going to tile, I'd make sure they are in the middle of a tile
run at least 4" above the worktops to the bottom of a socket.

I like 6" to the bottom of the box so the first tile sits nicely under
the socket, then 18" above that to the wall units.

That would also be fine, but of course depends on the size of the tiles.

Can leave you with a couple of L shaped tiles to cut in the 2nd row
though.

No problem with an electric tile cutter. ;-)

I might just agree with you there, but I'll still do the other 99% of
the cuts without :-)
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
Can leave you with a couple of L shaped tiles to cut in the 2nd row
though.

No problem with an electric tile cutter. ;-)

I might just agree with you there, but I'll still do the other 99% of
the cuts without :-)

I prefer a perfect edge on all my cut tiles regardless of the time
taken. ;-)

--
*Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Bob Martin

in 434951 20050806 124052 "Mark" wrote:
Hi, I am about to install a fitted kitchen, but would like to do all the 1st
fix electrics myself.

What I would like to know is, what is the ideal height within the kitchen to
chase the walls for wiring and back boxes for the sockets?

The current sockets fitted by the previous owner are all at different
heights, believe me no two sockets are the same height!

So any help would be appreciated.

Aren't we forbidden to do our own electrics under recent legislation?
dave stanton

Aren't we forbidden to do our own electrics under recent legislation?

Part P police are on the way as we speak......

Dave

Frank Erskine

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 08:10:34 GMT, Bob Martin
wrote:

Aren't we forbidden to do our own electrics under recent legislation?

No.
--
Frank Erskine
Stuart Noble

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:

Can leave you with a couple of L shaped tiles to cut in the 2nd row

though.

No problem with an electric tile cutter. ;-)

I might just agree with you there, but I'll still do the other 99% of
the cuts without :-)

I prefer a perfect edge on all my cut tiles regardless of the time
taken. ;-)

therin lies madness :-)

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
I might just agree with you there, but I'll still do the other 99% of
the cuts without :-)

I prefer a perfect edge on all my cut tiles regardless of the time
taken. ;-)

therin lies madness :-)

Heh heh. I actually like to take my time when tiling, as with much else
DIY. Madness, probably. But then I don't feel inclined to need to do a
makeover every couple of years. ;-) Never one to follow fashion.

--
*Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
ARWadsworth

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
I might just agree with you there, but I'll still do the other 99% of
the cuts without :-)

I prefer a perfect edge on all my cut tiles regardless of the time
taken. ;-)

therin lies madness :-)

Heh heh. I actually like to take my time when tiling, as with much else
DIY. Madness, probably. But then I don't feel inclined to need to do a
makeover every couple of years. ;-)

Never one to follow fashion.

That should not be a problem. If you do nothing drastic or rash to the house
decorations (especially an older property) then every so often you will be
back in fashion.

I do believe that wall papering ceilings is now coming back into fashion. I
wonder if people will paper straight over the holes they made last year in
an attempt to have fashionable spot lighting in their lounge.

Adam

Chip

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 21:18:32 GMT,it is alleged that "ARWadsworth"
spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

Stuart Noble wrote:
[...]

Shouldn't have had to make holes last year, the ones from the 70s
would have been good enough g

--
There are three things which I consider excellent advice. First, don't
smoke to excess. Second, don't drink to excess.
Paul

raden wrote:
In message , Bob Martin
writes

in 434951 20050806 124052 "Mark" wrote:

Hi, I am about to install a fitted kitchen, but would like to do all
the 1st
fix electrics myself.

What I would like to know is, what is the ideal height within the
kitchen to
chase the walls for wiring and back boxes for the sockets?

The current sockets fitted by the previous owner are all at different
heights, believe me no two sockets are the same height!

So any help would be appreciated.

Aren't we forbidden to do our own electrics under recent legislation?

Who cares ?

1st fix is the cutting and chasing isn't it. Whats electrical about hole
s and channels?

Paul
Ed Sirett

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 15:48:44 +0100, Paul wrote:

raden wrote:
In message , Bob Martin
writes

in 434951 20050806 124052 "Mark" wrote:

Hi, I am about to install a fitted kitchen, but would like to do all
the 1st
fix electrics myself.

What I would like to know is, what is the ideal height within the
kitchen to
chase the walls for wiring and back boxes for the sockets?

The current sockets fitted by the previous owner are all at different
heights, believe me no two sockets are the same height!

So any help would be appreciated.

Aren't we forbidden to do our own electrics under recent legislation?

Who cares ?

1st fix is the cutting and chasing isn't it. Whats electrical about hole
s and channels?

Where they go.

Junior Member

Yes, but that never stop any competent DIY doing it! After all, how the hell are they going to catch you? And say they did catch you (hypothetically) how can they prove that you did it? Just blame the previous owners of your house!
Set Square

Bob Martin wrote:

Aren't we forbidden to do our own electrics under recent
legislation?

Yes, but that never stop any competent DIY doing it! After all, how
the hell are they going to catch you? And say they did catch you
(hypothetically) how can they prove that you did it? Just blame the
previous owners of your house!

That won't work, I've been here 40 years!

The important question is whether they can prove that you did it *after* the
introduction of Part P. Prior to that, it was perfectly legal to DIY without
having it inspected.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Bob Martin

in 440860 20050824 174343 "Set Square" wrote:
Bob Martin wrote:

Aren't we forbidden to do our own electrics under recent
legislation?

Yes, but that never stop any competent DIY doing it! After all, how
the hell are they going to catch you? And say they did catch you
(hypothetically) how can they prove that you did it? Just blame the
previous owners of your house!

That won't work, I've been here 40 years!

The important question is whether they can prove that you did it *after* the
introduction of Part P. Prior to that, it was perfectly legal to DIY without
having it inspected.

Knowing my luck the parts I used probably have some hidden date code.
Junior Member

Talking

[quote=Set Square]In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
Bob Martin wrote:

Aren't we forbidden to do our own electrics under recent
legislation?

Yes, but that never stop any competent DIY doing it! After all, how
the hell are they going to catch you? And say they did catch you
(hypothetically) how can they prove that you did it? Just blame the
previous owners of your house!

That won't work, I've been here 40 years!

The important question is whether they can prove that you did it *after* the
introduction of Part P. Prior to that, it was perfectly legal to DIY without
having it inspected.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Exactly - quite simple really isnt it Set Square! All these people ranting and moaning about Part P and doing DIY illegally, when really they should just crack on and not worry about it!

Like the building control man is going to come down and start investigating exactly when you extended your ring main by 1m (for example) to put another socket in! He would have no idea where to start or who to ask! Even if things did get hairy, you can just say you had no idea about Part P and that you had a local builder/sparky/spanner monkey do it for you, whose name or contact number you dont recall. Worst case you pay a pro to check out your work if it got to that stage, but being competant you will have no worries!!

Why the hell would you invite the council man round in the first place!

And if you are worried about house insurances and claims - again how would they investigate it (assuming it was no fault of your dodgy DIY work in the first place - in which case I wholly agree incompetant people should not even be doing that sort of stuff!!)

Competant DIYers crack dudes and dont forget: 'deny everything!!!'
Set Square

Bob Martin wrote:

Aren't we forbidden to do our own electrics under recent
legislation?

Yes, but that never stop any competent DIY doing it! After all, how
the hell are they going to catch you? And say they did catch you
(hypothetically) how can they prove that you did it? Just blame the
previous owners of your house!

That won't work, I've been here 40 years!

The important question is whether they can prove that you did it
*after* the introduction of Part P. Prior to that, it was perfectly
legal to DIY without having it inspected.

Knowing my luck the parts I used probably have some hidden date code.

Ah well, I've got a fairly good stock of old parts and 'old colour' cable!
--
Cheers,
Set Square