Part P Avoider Part P Avoider is offline
Junior Member

Talking

[quote=Set Square]In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
Bob Martin wrote:

Aren't we forbidden to do our own electrics under recent
legislation?

Yes, but that never stop any competent DIY doing it! After all, how
the hell are they going to catch you? And say they did catch you
(hypothetically) how can they prove that you did it? Just blame the
previous owners of your house!

That won't work, I've been here 40 years!

The important question is whether they can prove that you did it *after* the
introduction of Part P. Prior to that, it was perfectly legal to DIY without
having it inspected.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Exactly - quite simple really isnt it Set Square! All these people ranting and moaning about Part P and doing DIY illegally, when really they should just crack on and not worry about it!

Like the building control man is going to come down and start investigating exactly when you extended your ring main by 1m (for example) to put another socket in! He would have no idea where to start or who to ask! Even if things did get hairy, you can just say you had no idea about Part P and that you had a local builder/sparky/spanner monkey do it for you, whose name or contact number you dont recall. Worst case you pay a pro to check out your work if it got to that stage, but being competant you will have no worries!!

Why the hell would you invite the council man round in the first place!

And if you are worried about house insurances and claims - again how would they investigate it (assuming it was no fault of your dodgy DIY work in the first place - in which case I wholly agree incompetant people should not even be doing that sort of stuff!!)

Competant DIYers crack dudes and dont forget: 'deny everything!!!'