Default Large black Beetles

Over the last couple of weeks, I've found 5 beetles wandering about in
my house. 4 on the 2nd floor and one in the first floor bathroom,
suprisingly, none on the ground floor.

They're quite big. 1/2" in size and black. I really don't like sharing
my bed with these critters and I can't think where they might be coming
from. They can't have all flown in through the window can they?

Has anyone got any ideas of where I should be looking or what might be
attracting them?

BigWallop

wrote in message
ups.com...
Over the last couple of weeks, I've found 5 beetles wandering about in
my house. 4 on the 2nd floor and one in the first floor bathroom,
suprisingly, none on the ground floor.

They're quite big. 1/2" in size and black. I really don't like sharing
my bed with these critters and I can't think where they might be coming
from. They can't have all flown in through the window can they?

Has anyone got any ideas of where I should be looking or what might be
attracting them?

Your roof void could be harbouring them. Did you have birds nesting in your
eaves or on the roof itself?

Your roof void could be harbouring them. Did you have birds nesting in your
eaves or on the roof itself?

Ugh, don't tell me I'm going to have to venture in to the loft? It's
dark up there!

I have to say, I don't look up there much. I haven't noticed any
accumulated droppings on the floor (that's a sign of a nest, right?)

Last year, a pidgeon kept fluttering past the bedroom windows, I
wondered if it was nesting. Is that too long ago to be significant?

BigWallop

wrote in message
oups.com...
Your roof void could be harbouring them. Did you have birds nesting in

your
eaves or on the roof itself?

Ugh, don't tell me I'm going to have to venture in to the loft? It's
dark up there!

I have to say, I don't look up there much. I haven't noticed any
accumulated droppings on the floor (that's a sign of a nest, right?)

Last year, a pidgeon kept fluttering past the bedroom windows, I
wondered if it was nesting. Is that too long ago to be significant?

Pigeons last year would be a bit to long ago I'd have thought, so something
more recent than that really. Have the pigeons returns? Maybe not to the
same spot in the roof space though. It may even be bats or other types of
bird nesting that could be somewhere in the loft space or another void that
is open to them.

Beetles are the types of things you also find around rotting wood, depending
on their type of course, so it might be a sign of a small yet un-noticed
leak or dry mould somewhere.

Not knowing what type of beetle they are for sure, so the diagnosis is only
coming from things that it could be that attract beetles.

Not knowing what type of beetle they are for sure, so the diagnosis is only
coming from things that it could be that attract beetles.

I've had a look around the web, and the beetles I've seen look
frightningly similar to these critters...

http://www.the-piedpiper.co.uk/th7h.htm

The beetles are probably feeding on a corpse

If you're trying to make me feel better about this infestation, it
isn't working.

Besides, I keep all my dead bodies in the freezer and that's in the
basement.

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , AlexW
wrote:

You might want to see what your local council's pest control dept has to
say about them (have you kept a specimen?). They usually provide
reasonably cost effective eradication services too.

It's a black beetle for heaven's sake. They don't pose any harm at all to
humans. Leave them alone and marvel at the beauty of nature.

AlexW

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:
In article , AlexW
wrote:

You might want to see what your local council's pest control dept has to
say about them (have you kept a specimen?). They usually provide
reasonably cost effective eradication services too.

It's a black beetle for heaven's sake. They don't pose any harm at all to
humans. Leave them alone and marvel at the beauty of nature.

IMO its worth finding out more if they are bothering the OP (which is
seems they are). At least then you might have an idea why they are
appearing in the house on the 1st & 2nd floors.

There are five so far, which is no problem to anyone, if there were more
on the way then they might become a nuisance, hence eradication info
might be desirable.

Its a question of scale really and of the location of the marvels of nature.

Alex

wrote:

IMO its worth finding out more if they are bothering the OP (which is
seems they are).

Oh dear what a shame. Some strange nature phobia perhaps?

There are five so far, which is no problem to anyone, if there were more
on the way then they might become a nuisance, hence eradication info
might be desirable.

No, not desirable at all. If there is a real problem, then you prevent them
getting in, not kill them.

Mary Fisher

"AlexW" wrote in message

IMO its worth finding out more if they are bothering the OP (which is
seems they are).

I've asked in what way they're bothering him - no reply as yet.

Mary

John

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

IMO its worth finding out more if they are bothering the OP (which is
seems they are).

I've asked in what way they're bothering him - no reply as yet.

Yes - we noticed! Bloody hell, you've done it now ....

For chrissake Mary -- I wish I were half as effing perfect as you a
3 of every 4 posts you make (here and elsewhere) are full of smug
little lectures to people on how they ought to improve themselves, and
how 'this', 'that' or 'the other' has never bothered _you_, or how
_you_ have been doing it for years, or how people might like to emulate
your own perfect little life in some way or another.

Did it ever occur to you that the Original Poster might have a phobia
for insects, beetles, or whatever?

Did it ever occur to you that he might actually love beetles, but not in
those numbers, and not in his flipping bedroom?

Do you have no phobias? (i.e. unreasoning horror of a particular
thing)? Ah yes you do: you can't stand people not coming up to your own
standards, can you. What did you do before you retired? Headmistress
in a private Girls' Finishing School?

"Hope this helps"

John

p.s. to the OP: check that page where you found your beetle pictu
http://www.the-piedpiper.co.uk/th7h.htm ... you may not have
sufficient night light discipline!

Mary Fisher

"John" wrote in message
In article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

[...]

There there, calm down ... it's not good for you to get hot and bothered you
know :-)

And have you replied like this to Andy by the way? Sauce for the goose ...

VBG

Mary

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , John
wrote:

For chrissake Mary -- I wish I were half as effing perfect as you a

Mary asked a simple question. "In what way are they bothering S/He/it?"

How is that offensive in any way?

Did it ever occur to you that the Original Poster might have a phobia
for insects, beetles, or whatever?

I have a phobia of criminals, but I don't advocate killing every
one on sight.

Did it ever occur to you that he might actually love beetles, but not in
those numbers, and not in his flipping bedroom?

FIVE?

AlexW

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:
In article , AlexW
wrote:

snip

No, not desirable at all. If there is a real problem, then you prevent them
getting in, not kill them.

Hmm ... OK agree with that if feasible, and assuming they are coming
from outside. But...

What if the source of the of the beetles is something within the
building or fabric of the building, rotten timber or something else for
example. If removal of habitat is no feasible then eradication /might/
be the answer.

We have some very old beams with some very big flight holes, uninhabited
for many years, but if active I would not wan't whatever was in them
dropping on me whilst I am sleeping - phobia or not.

Also, might need to know more about habitat pref's etc of said
unidentified beetle to understand likeley entry points etc etc.

Alex.
BigWallop

wrote in message
oups.com...
Not knowing what type of beetle they are for sure, so the diagnosis is

only
coming from things that it could be that attract beetles.

I've had a look around the web, and the beetles I've seen look
frightningly similar to these critters...

http://www.the-piedpiper.co.uk/th7h.htm

That's what I thought. They live on the left overs of where birds and
things have made nests. They aren't a pest, as it says on the site you
linked to, but they can breed and make life hell if they have a constant
food supply. They also return to places where they have not been disturbed,
for their breeding cycle. It might be a good idea to have a look around for
a recent birds nest or squirrel lair around the house.

Have you noticed any fox runs anywhere around your property?

http://insected.arizona.edu/mealinfo.htm

Mary Fisher

"BigWallop" wrote in message
. uk...

They aren't a pest, as it says on the site you
linked to, but they can breed and make life hell

In what way?

Mary

BigWallop

"John" wrote in message
In article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

[...]

Dear Dear. Does Mary's perfect little life bother you that much? All I see
her asking are perfectly reasonable questions of the OP (annoyedtuna), to
find out more information from them. Mary, or anyone else in the group for
that matter, can't help with only half the facts, so some questions have to
be asked.

I have a problem with my DuckDo, what would you suggest I do about it John?

AlexW

Mary Fisher wrote:
"BigWallop" wrote in message
. uk...

They aren't a pest, as it says on the site you
linked to, but they can breed and make life hell

In what way?

Mary

Make you itchy at a distance of 10 feet ???

Crunch under foot ???

Get into your smalls ???

etc etc

Alex
Owain

BigWallop wrote:
I have a problem with my DuckDo,

I've never heard it called that before. Have you asked your doctor for
some ointment?

Owain

BigWallop

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"BigWallop" wrote in message
. uk...

They aren't a pest, as it says on the site you
linked to, but they can breed and make life hell

In what way?

Mary

They can infest food cupboard and things Mary. They don't just walk you
know. They can breed fast and over-run food stores, and they don't just eat
meal and cereals.

They are mostly come and go sort of creature though, and when the food
supply dries up they move on to greener pastures, so to speak. :-)

Mary Fisher

"AlexW" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"BigWallop" wrote in message
. uk...

They aren't a pest, as it says on the site you
linked to, but they can breed and make life hell

In what way?

Mary

Make you itchy at a distance of 10 feet ???

Oh, poor baby!

Crunch under foot ???

Don't tread on 'em.

Get into your smalls ???

Huh?

Mary

etc etc

Alex

Mary Fisher

"BigWallop" wrote in message
. uk...

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"BigWallop" wrote in message
. uk...

They aren't a pest, as it says on the site you
linked to, but they can breed and make life hell

In what way?

Mary

They can infest food cupboard and things Mary. They don't just walk you
know. They can breed fast and over-run food stores, and they don't just
eat
meal and cereals.

I've never, ever seen a black beetle in our food stores. We get mites in
older starchy stuff, they're easy to sieve out.

Mary

Mary Fisher

"BigWallop" wrote in message
. uk...

I have a problem with my DuckDo,

Ah! Now I CAN help you with your DuckDo.

What's your problem?

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

I've never, ever seen a black beetle in our food stores. We get mites in
older starchy stuff, they're easy to sieve out.

I meant weevils, not mites.

Mary

AlexW

Mary Fisher wrote:
"AlexW" wrote in message

snip/
Get into your smalls ???

Huh?

Mary

You know, 'ants in yer pants' and all that. Same principle just doesn't
rhyme!

Alex.

etc etc

Alex

Mary Fisher

"AlexW" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"AlexW" wrote in message

snip/
Get into your smalls ???

Huh?

Mary

You know, 'ants in yer pants' and all that. Same principle just doesn't
rhyme!

Black beetles aren't ants ... in my experience black beetles run away from
humans.

My hens can catch them though!

Mary

Alex.

etc etc

Alex

AlexW

Mary Fisher wrote:
snip/

Get into your smalls ???

Huh?

Mary

You know, 'ants in yer pants' and all that. Same principle just doesn't
rhyme!

Black beetles aren't ants ... in my experience black beetles run away from
humans.

Its just the principle. I have had a beetle, an earwig and spiders (not
together BTW) stuck in in items of clothing before, can't remember the
exact circumstances as the instances were years ago.

Made me itchy though for a few minutes tho...

My hens can catch them though!

Better for them than that polystyrene eh ;-)

Mary

Alex

snip/
raden

In message , John
writes
In article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:
For chrissake Mary -- I wish I were half as effing perfect as you a
3 of every 4 posts you make (here and elsewhere) are full of smug
little lectures to people on how they ought to improve themselves, and
how 'this', 'that' or 'the other' has never bothered _you_, or how
_you_ have been doing it for years, or how people might like to emulate
your own perfect little life in some way or another.

Did it ever occur to you that the Original Poster might have a phobia
for insects, beetles, or whatever?

Did it ever occur to you that he might actually love beetles, but not in
those numbers, and not in his flipping bedroom?

Do you have no phobias? (i.e. unreasoning horror of a particular
thing)? Ah yes you do: you can't stand people not coming up to your own
standards, can you. What did you do before you retired? Headmistress
in a private Girls' Finishing School?

I think it's a matter of an attitude of fitting with nature rather than
fighting against it

--
geoff

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 04:40:29 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

Beetles are the types of things you also find around rotting wood,

No you don't. There are very few UK beetle species that will be
attracted by rotting wood (meaning indoor construction timber, not
treestumps). It'll attract woodlice like a magnet, but not beetles

Mary Fisher

"AlexW" wrote in message

Black beetles aren't ants ... in my experience black beetles run away
from humans.

Its just the principle. I have had a beetle, an earwig and spiders (not
together BTW) stuck in in items of clothing before, can't remember the
exact circumstances as the instances were years ago.

Yes - it doesn't happen all that often does it ? G Nothing to be scared
about.

Made me itchy though for a few minutes tho...

Oh baby!

My hens can catch them though!

Better for them than that polystyrene eh ;-)

Yes. Spouse went behind a shed yesterday to find something to use as a
froglet stepping stone out of the pond and discovered that the timber wall
was past its best. Not surprising after 50 years and three moves. I bought
it in the 50s as a bike shed. So he removed the offending part, which was
'insulated' with ceiling tiles when he used the shed as a plane building
workroom. There were bits of the stuff all over the yard, the hens had a
birthday!

We also had a splendid fire with the rotting and cocoon laden timbers. Dry
as tinder, it didn't last long.

Mary

Mary Fisher

wrote:

Beetles are the types of things you also find around rotting wood,

No you don't. There are very few UK beetle species that will be
attracted by rotting wood (meaning indoor construction timber, not
treestumps). It'll attract woodlice like a magnet, but not beetles

I'm glad you said that, Andy, I was going to but thought better of it - it's
important to be believed :-)

Mary

Jim Scott

wrote:

Beetles are the types of things you also find around rotting wood,

No you don't. There are very few UK beetle species that will be
attracted by rotting wood (meaning indoor construction timber, not
treestumps). It'll attract woodlice like a magnet, but not beetles

You are sure they are not June bugs?
They fly around the Westcountry at this time of year and have hard wing
casings which crunch alarmingly when you step on them. More alarming for
them I guess. Don't do a lot of harm I think unless you eat too many.
--
Jim
Tyneside UK
Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message

I think it's a matter of an attitude of fitting with nature rather than
fighting against it

Gosh, that's deep!

Mary

--
geoff

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 23rd 04 11:50 PM
A challenge for old house lovers Mike Mitchell UK diy 322 September 30th 04 12:29 AM
WARNING. DeWALT And Black and Decker Tools causing serious Injury and Death. Bob Woodworking 14 June 5th 04 09:22 AM
WARNING. DeWALT And Black and Decker Tools causing serious Injury and Death. tester Electronics Repair 17 May 27th 04 12:45 PM