Stephen Gower

Default Large Mirror

There is a space above the tiles above the bath in our bathroom
that is 107cm high and 166cm wide. We're redocorating and would
like to make this bit of wall mirror, in order to make the room
feel bigger (it's very cramped, with the sink overlapping the bath,
for example). Ideally, the mirror will extend right up to the wall
to make this effect work really well. I've looked at the acrylic
mirror from http://www.diy-plastics.co.uk but I'd be worryed about
scratch marks appearing.

On the other hand, I just don't know where to begin with glass
mirror - do I just find a glazier and ask them? Would they cut
something this large and how would I mount it? Am I crazy to even
consider it over the bath like this? Any comments welcome!

--
Selah
Sorry I fed the troll earlier
Wanderer

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 13:54:48 +0000 (UTC), Stephen Gower wrote:

There is a space above the tiles above the bath in our bathroom
that is 107cm high and 166cm wide. We're redocorating and would
like to make this bit of wall mirror, in order to make the room
feel bigger (it's very cramped, with the sink overlapping the bath,
for example). Ideally, the mirror will extend right up to the wall
to make this effect work really well. I've looked at the acrylic
mirror from http://www.diy-plastics.co.uk but I'd be worryed about
scratch marks appearing.

On the other hand, I just don't know where to begin with glass
mirror - do I just find a glazier and ask them? Would they cut
something this large and how would I mount it? Am I crazy to even
consider it over the bath like this? Any comments welcome!

I have a mirror of similar size mounted over the sink and vanity units in
our bathroom. It was actually left by the last occupants. Size wise, it's
not out of the ordinary, if you need it to a specific size, your best bet
is to talk to a local glazier. They'll cut it to size, polish the edges,
and depending on how you propose to fix it, also drill the holes at each
corner. Make sure you get proper mirror-fixing screws. These come in packs
of four (i think) with a small plastic bush that goes through the fixing
holes, and each screw has a chrome topped dome that screws into the head of
the screw (very small threaded screw). The glazier will almost certainly
have these as well.
Wanderer

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 15:08:42 +0100, Wanderer wrote:

[...]

Oh, and ask him about some cushioning pads to go on the back of the mirror,
the fixings hold it 1 or 2 mm off the wall, and over a distance of 1.6m,
the mirror will flex rather unnervingly when you clean it!
stuart noble

Stephen Gower wrote in message ...
On the other hand, I just don't know where to begin with glass
mirror - do I just find a glazier and ask them? Would they cut
something this large and how would I mount it? Am I crazy to even
consider it over the bath like this? Any comments welcome!

You can get safety glass which has a plastic film glued to the back. Of
course you'll spend your life wiping it...

Ben Blaney

Stephen Gower wrote:

There is a space above the tiles above the bath in our bathroom
that is 107cm high and 166cm wide. We're redocorating and would
like to make this bit of wall mirror, in order to make the room
feel bigger (it's very cramped, with the sink overlapping the bath,
for example).

Especially if the bathroom is small, I'd recommend a "Demista" pad from
the nice people at http://www.hib.co.uk/demista.html It's the best
thing I've ever done. You simply run a wire to the lightswitch, and
whenever the light is on the pad heats the mirror, and it doesn't steam
up. Utterly, utterly fantastic.

--
Ben Blaney
GSF1200 VFR800 CBR600 CD200

Jeremy Collins

Stephen Gower wrote:

There is a space above the tiles above the bath in our bathroom
that is 107cm high and 166cm wide. We're redocorating and would
like to make this bit of wall mirror, in order to make the room
feel bigger (it's very cramped, with the sink overlapping the bath,
for example). Ideally, the mirror will extend right up to the wall
to make this effect work really well. I've looked at the acrylic
mirror from http://www.diy-plastics.co.uk but I'd be worryed about
scratch marks appearing.

On the other hand, I just don't know where to begin with glass
mirror - do I just find a glazier and ask them? Would they cut
something this large and how would I mount it? Am I crazy to even
consider it over the bath like this? Any comments welcome!

Mirror tiles? (Or whatever they're called...)

--
jc

you will find more affordable acrylic mirror on the following page,
http://www.diyplastics.com/acrylicmirror.htm

you would buy "glass" mirror from a glass merchant or glazier, you MUST ask
for safety backed mirror, 6mm thick at this sort of size would be advisable,
fixed with mirror clips,
as a glass cutter I would NOT advise that you drill any mirror,
tiles look what they are, cheap,
sorry to disagree with the (well meaning) advice given in replies to your
post
kind regards
[...]

James Hart

wrote:

On the other hand, I just don't know where to begin with glass
mirror - do I just find a glazier and ask them?

I've been making a bunch of mirrors lately.
http://newspankyworkshop.com/what/mirrors/

I'm not sure whether it's Opera or your HTML software but that page looks
horrible from here, all the pictures and words are clumped together on top
of each other.

--
James...
http://www.jameshart.co.uk/

stuart noble

6mm thick at this sort of size would be advisable,
fixed with mirror clips,

4mm is fine, as well as being the standard "silvered" thickness available
from most glaziers. 6mm would be OTT, and bloody heavy too.

N. Thornton

Default Site funnies {Was: Large Mirror}

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message .1...
On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 00:22:13 +0100, James Hart wrote:

I'm not sure whether it's Opera or your HTML software but that page
looks horrible from here, all the pictures and words are clumped
together on top of each other.

Doesn't have that propblem here (Mozilla/5.0 (OS/2; U; Warp 3; en-US;
rv:1.4a) Gecko/20030401) but it a rather "wide" site even full screen
at 1024 pixels I still need to use the horizontal scroll bar. Now
considering most people run at 800x600 screen resolution it must be
even worse for them. Could be yet another browser/code funny are all
the pictures supposed to be on vertical black bar or should some stick
out over the RH edge of that area?

Another annoying feature is the left side bar menu. When you click on
one of those it disappears from the list so when your just looking at
each one in turn you don't know where you have got to down the list

Why do web designers keep making the same cockups, they dont seem to learn.

Regards, NT

Mary Fisher

snip

Now considering most people run at 800x600 screen resolution

snip

This surely can no longer be true ?

Wossallthisabout?

I think I've missed something ..

Mary

Paul Mc Cann

Gnube

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 19:57:53 +0100, Paul Mc Cann
wrote:

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 08:22:27 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

snip

Now considering most people run at 800x600 screen resolution

snip

This surely can no longer be true ?

I'd be amazed! (which probably means it happens!) ;O)

Take Care,
Gnube
{too thick for linux}
Dave Liquorice

On 13 Aug 2003 04:40:58 -0700, Steve wrote:

It's 6mm thick and they will be fitting it (let them do it for =A340) =

by sticking it to a tiled wall.

"sticking"? Hope the tiles are well fixed. 5' x 5' and 6mm isn't going
to be lightweight.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Paul Mc Cann

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 20:19:25 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

snip

Now considering most people run at 800x600 screen resolution

snip

This surely can no longer be true ?

Wossallthisabout?

I think I've missed something ..

Mary

snip

Screen resolution.

Assuming you are using Windows, right click on the desktop, select
properties/settings. This will show your current display settings.
800 x600 was once a 'de-luxe' setting to those with 640 resolution but
it has been many a long day since I saw it used on a machine.

Personally I like lots of real estate on the desktop.

Paul Mc Cann

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Paul Mc Cann wrote:
Now considering most people run at 800x600 screen resolution

snip

This surely can no longer be true ?

Surely most change the resolution according to the job in hand? I still
use 800x600 for text on a 17" monitor - it gives a comfortable print size
for me.

--
*We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 19:57:53 +0100, Paul Mc Cann wrote:

Now considering most people run at 800x600 screen resolution

This surely can no longer be true ?

Probably not now by a small margin:

http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2003/May/res.php
http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2002/May/res.php
http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2001/May/res.php

What is the default in windows now? It used to be 800x600 I would
guess it's now 1024x768?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Frisket wrote:
Surely most change the resolution according to the job in hand? I
still use 800x600 for text on a 17" monitor - it gives a comfortable
print size for me.

Hate to admit it but I'm on 800x600 too - eyes ain't what they were -
Bugger.

It's one of the facts of getting older - there's no escape.

I have a special pair of specs for the computer which aren't as strong as
reading ones. I don't want to sit that close to the monitor.

--
*Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Owain

"Frisket" wrote
| "Dave Plowman" wrote
| Surely most change the resolution according to the job in hand? I still
| use 800x600 for text on a 17" monitor - it gives a comfortable print
size
| for me.
| Hate to admit it but I'm on 800x600 too - eyes ain't what they were -

Wouldn't it be better to have the monitor on the highest possible
resolution, so the text isn't fuzzy, and use larger text? For web, Opera
will enlarge text and images up to ten times.

Owain

Gnube

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 16:35:29 +0100, "Owain"
wrote:

"Frisket" wrote
| "Dave Plowman" wrote
| Surely most change the resolution according to the job in hand? I still
| use 800x600 for text on a 17" monitor - it gives a comfortable print
size
| for me.
| Hate to admit it but I'm on 800x600 too - eyes ain't what they were -

Wouldn't it be better to have the monitor on the highest possible
resolution, so the text isn't fuzzy, and use larger text? For web, Opera
will enlarge text and images up to ten times.

That's almost exactly what I've found, with the exception that some
programs handle larger font sizes better than others, but over time
I've changed more or less all the bad ones in that respect. Much more
comfortable.

Take Care,
Gnube
{too thick for linux}
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Owain wrote:
Wouldn't it be better to have the monitor on the highest possible
resolution, so the text isn't fuzzy, and use larger text? For web, Opera
will enlarge text and images up to ten times.

Or even just use an ancient Acorn which anti-aliased text about 20 years
ago. One day MS will catch up. ;-)

--
*Filthy stinking rich -- well, two out of three ain't bad

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Chris Hodges

Mary Fisher wrote:
OK, I did that and it said 800 x 600. Is that a problem?

No, and any decent website should work fine at anything from 640x480 up.
I use a couple of machines with 14" screens at work, and as I often
have to watch whats on the screen from a couple of metres away I run
them at 800x600.

--
Chris
-----

Chris Hodges

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 19:57:53 +0100, Paul Mc Cann wrote:

Now considering most people run at 800x600 screen resolution

This surely can no longer be true ?

Probably not now by a small margin:

http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2003/May/res.php
http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2002/May/res.php
http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2001/May/res.php

What is the default in windows now? It used to be 800x600 I would
guess it's now 1024x768?

XP apparently uses 800x600 in a safe-mode equivalent type of thing, and
also at install time. I quite often install 98 and that defaults to
640x480 until you configure the graphics card.

--
Chris
-----

Mary Fisher

"Chris Hodges" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
OK, I did that and it said 800 x 600. Is that a problem?

No, and any decent website should work fine at anything from 640x480 up.
I use a couple of machines with 14" screens at work, and as I often
have to watch whats on the screen from a couple of metres away I run
them at 800x600.

Phew mops brow, having worried about this all weekend while away I can
sleep easy now. Thanks, Chris.

Mary

--
Chris
-----

Gnube

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 16:21:58 GMT, Chris Hodges
wrote:

Mary Fisher wrote:
OK, I did that and it said 800 x 600. Is that a problem?

No, and any decent website should work fine at anything from 640x480 up.
I use a couple of machines with 14" screens at work, and as I often
have to watch whats on the screen from a couple of metres away I run
them at 800x600.

That's about as close as I'd feel comfortable being seen near a 14"
screen too! ;O)

Take Care,
Gnube
{too thick for linux}

Large timber beam needed Steve Wilson UK diy 4 August 8th 03 12:07 AM
large shed required Owain UK diy 3 August 5th 03 11:32 AM
Very large wall tiles David Campbell UK diy 3 July 29th 03 12:08 AM
Supplier of large briefcase-like tool cases? D.M. Procida UK diy 7 July 11th 03 03:14 PM