Steve Wilson

Default Large timber beam needed

Before I google and look in the Yellow Pages, I'd appreciate some
advice on what sort of supplier I should be looking for.
I have a balcony at the back of my house, with a set of stairs leading
down to the garden. Thay are bounded one side by a brick wall and the
other side by a banister rail. The steps themselves are hardwood, but
on the wall side they are attached to a softwood beam, which in turn
is attached to the brick wall with metal studding. This beam is about
15 years old and has started to degrade, to the extent that the lower
steps are no longer safe.
My plan is to replace this beam. However, it's about 8" by 3", and
about 15 foot long. I've bought a much less hefty beam than this from
a timber yard before, and that was about the biggest (planed) thing
they had in stock.
Should I be trying to source this from a timber yard, or would I save
time and money going to a sawmill? Are sawmills interested in
supplying one-offs like this?
Many thanks,
Steve
Grunff

Steve Wilson wrote:

My plan is to replace this beam. However, it's about 8" by 3", and
about 15 foot long. I've bought a much less hefty beam than this from
a timber yard before, and that was about the biggest (planed) thing
they had in stock.
Should I be trying to source this from a timber yard, or would I save
time and money going to a sawmill? Are sawmills interested in
supplying one-offs like this?

The ones near me certainly would be. I've just bought six 9"x3"
18ft pressure treated pine beams at £24 each.

Look in yell.

--
Grunff

Steve Wilson

Grunff wrote in message ...
Steve Wilson wrote:

My plan is to replace this beam. However, it's about 8" by 3", and
about 15 foot long. I've bought a much less hefty beam than this from
a timber yard before, and that was about the biggest (planed) thing
they had in stock.
Should I be trying to source this from a timber yard, or would I save
time and money going to a sawmill? Are sawmills interested in
supplying one-offs like this?

The ones near me certainly would be. I've just bought six 9"x3"
18ft pressure treated pine beams at £24 each.

Look in yell.

That's good. Were they planed?
Cheers
Steve
jerrybuilt

Steve Wilson wrote:
My plan is to replace this beam. However, it's about 8" by 3",
and about 15 foot long. I've bought a much less hefty beam
than this from a timber yard before, and that was about the
biggest (planed) thing they had in stock. Should I be trying
to source this from a timber yard, or would I save
time and money going to a sawmill?

Just go to Jewsons or somewhere similar that has a mill and
order it. It will probably take a couple of days for delivery.

Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com

Rick Hughes

"Steve Wilson" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I bought a large beam 12"x6" form a demolition gang taking down a local
school - well seasoned , as the school was 150 yrs old.

Cost me a couple of meat pies for their lunch.

Rick