Wanderer

Default Large Mirror

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 15:08:42 +0100, Wanderer wrote:

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 13:54:48 +0000 (UTC), Stephen Gower wrote:

There is a space above the tiles above the bath in our bathroom
that is 107cm high and 166cm wide. We're redocorating and would
like to make this bit of wall mirror, in order to make the room
feel bigger (it's very cramped, with the sink overlapping the bath,
for example). Ideally, the mirror will extend right up to the wall
to make this effect work really well. I've looked at the acrylic
mirror from http://www.diy-plastics.co.uk but I'd be worryed about
scratch marks appearing.

On the other hand, I just don't know where to begin with glass
mirror - do I just find a glazier and ask them? Would they cut
something this large and how would I mount it? Am I crazy to even
consider it over the bath like this? Any comments welcome!

I have a mirror of similar size mounted over the sink and vanity units in
our bathroom. It was actually left by the last occupants. Size wise, it's
not out of the ordinary, if you need it to a specific size, your best bet
is to talk to a local glazier. They'll cut it to size, polish the edges,
and depending on how you propose to fix it, also drill the holes at each
corner. Make sure you get proper mirror-fixing screws. These come in packs
of four (i think) with a small plastic bush that goes through the fixing
holes, and each screw has a chrome topped dome that screws into the head of
the screw (very small threaded screw). The glazier will almost certainly
have these as well.

Oh, and ask him about some cushioning pads to go on the back of the mirror,
the fixings hold it 1 or 2 mm off the wall, and over a distance of 1.6m,
the mirror will flex rather unnervingly when you clean it!