Stephen Gower

Default Large Mirror

There is a space above the tiles above the bath in our bathroom
that is 107cm high and 166cm wide. We're redocorating and would
like to make this bit of wall mirror, in order to make the room
feel bigger (it's very cramped, with the sink overlapping the bath,
for example). Ideally, the mirror will extend right up to the wall
to make this effect work really well. I've looked at the acrylic
mirror from http://www.diy-plastics.co.uk but I'd be worryed about
scratch marks appearing.

On the other hand, I just don't know where to begin with glass
mirror - do I just find a glazier and ask them? Would they cut
something this large and how would I mount it? Am I crazy to even
consider it over the bath like this? Any comments welcome!

--
Selah
Sorry I fed the troll earlier
Wanderer

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 13:54:48 +0000 (UTC), Stephen Gower wrote:

There is a space above the tiles above the bath in our bathroom
that is 107cm high and 166cm wide. We're redocorating and would
like to make this bit of wall mirror, in order to make the room
feel bigger (it's very cramped, with the sink overlapping the bath,
for example). Ideally, the mirror will extend right up to the wall
to make this effect work really well. I've looked at the acrylic
mirror from http://www.diy-plastics.co.uk but I'd be worryed about
scratch marks appearing.

On the other hand, I just don't know where to begin with glass
mirror - do I just find a glazier and ask them? Would they cut
something this large and how would I mount it? Am I crazy to even
consider it over the bath like this? Any comments welcome!

I have a mirror of similar size mounted over the sink and vanity units in
our bathroom. It was actually left by the last occupants. Size wise, it's
not out of the ordinary, if you need it to a specific size, your best bet
is to talk to a local glazier. They'll cut it to size, polish the edges,
and depending on how you propose to fix it, also drill the holes at each
corner. Make sure you get proper mirror-fixing screws. These come in packs
of four (i think) with a small plastic bush that goes through the fixing
holes, and each screw has a chrome topped dome that screws into the head of
the screw (very small threaded screw). The glazier will almost certainly
have these as well.
Wanderer

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 15:08:42 +0100, Wanderer wrote:

[...]

Oh, and ask him about some cushioning pads to go on the back of the mirror,
the fixings hold it 1 or 2 mm off the wall, and over a distance of 1.6m,
the mirror will flex rather unnervingly when you clean it!
stuart noble

Stephen Gower wrote in message ...
On the other hand, I just don't know where to begin with glass
mirror - do I just find a glazier and ask them? Would they cut
something this large and how would I mount it? Am I crazy to even
consider it over the bath like this? Any comments welcome!

You can get safety glass which has a plastic film glued to the back. Of
course you'll spend your life wiping it...

Ben Blaney

Stephen Gower wrote:

There is a space above the tiles above the bath in our bathroom
that is 107cm high and 166cm wide. We're redocorating and would
like to make this bit of wall mirror, in order to make the room
feel bigger (it's very cramped, with the sink overlapping the bath,
for example).

Especially if the bathroom is small, I'd recommend a "Demista" pad from
the nice people at http://www.hib.co.uk/demista.html It's the best
thing I've ever done. You simply run a wire to the lightswitch, and
whenever the light is on the pad heats the mirror, and it doesn't steam
up. Utterly, utterly fantastic.

--
Ben Blaney
GSF1200 VFR800 CBR600 CD200

Jeremy Collins

Stephen Gower wrote:

There is a space above the tiles above the bath in our bathroom
that is 107cm high and 166cm wide. We're redocorating and would
like to make this bit of wall mirror, in order to make the room
feel bigger (it's very cramped, with the sink overlapping the bath,
for example). Ideally, the mirror will extend right up to the wall
to make this effect work really well. I've looked at the acrylic
mirror from http://www.diy-plastics.co.uk but I'd be worryed about
scratch marks appearing.

On the other hand, I just don't know where to begin with glass
mirror - do I just find a glazier and ask them? Would they cut
something this large and how would I mount it? Am I crazy to even
consider it over the bath like this? Any comments welcome!

Mirror tiles? (Or whatever they're called...)

--
jc

you will find more affordable acrylic mirror on the following page,
http://www.diyplastics.com/acrylicmirror.htm

you would buy "glass" mirror from a glass merchant or glazier, you MUST ask
for safety backed mirror, 6mm thick at this sort of size would be advisable,
fixed with mirror clips,
as a glass cutter I would NOT advise that you drill any mirror,
tiles look what they are, cheap,
sorry to disagree with the (well meaning) advice given in replies to your
post
kind regards
[...]

stuart noble

6mm thick at this sort of size would be advisable,
fixed with mirror clips,

4mm is fine, as well as being the standard "silvered" thickness available
from most glaziers. 6mm would be OTT, and bloody heavy too.

Large timber beam needed Steve Wilson UK diy 4 August 8th 03 12:07 AM
large shed required Owain UK diy 3 August 5th 03 11:32 AM
Very large wall tiles David Campbell UK diy 3 July 29th 03 12:08 AM
Supplier of large briefcase-like tool cases? D.M. Procida UK diy 7 July 11th 03 03:14 PM