Default Tree felling problem/query

We have been steadily felling the Leylandii along the front of our
property over the last couple of years. So far we've dropped all of
them just about where we intended with no drama or accidents, this
includes some really big ones with 15" or 18" trunks.

The next in the sequence presents a bit of a problem though. It's a
pretty big tree but the trunk splits into three or four main parts
right from ground level and the parallel 'trunks' remain close
together up to a considerable height.

How should one fell this? It's not possible to do the standard "cut a
wedge out on the side you want it to fall and then cut to make a
'hinge' from the other side" as there are separate trunks to which one
only has chainsaw access at one side. At any level one can reach from
the ground there is no space at all between the trunks, not even a gap
to see through.

I suppose it might be possible to cut a wedge out of each trunk and
then simply use a rope and our tractor to pull it over without
bothering with cutting from the other side, is this a reasonable
approach? In fact if the first one is done like this it might be
possible to do the others more conventionally.

--
Chris Green
Rick

On 27 Apr 2005 12:30:06 GMT, wrote:

[...]

cut them out one at a time, like 4 seperate trees. use a good rope to
tug them down, and get them to fall in the right place.

I re-read, you have a tractor, just tug them with the tractor, as you
cut away at the other side of the trunk. Just watch the rope length so
it does not land on the tractor.

Rick

Peter Charles Fagg

Rick, please excuse me but I was alarmed at reading the suggestion to
pull over this tree with a tractor. A tractor can be used quite safely
to pull trees over but there are a few ground rules to be aware of
before attempts are made.

I was employed as an agricultural engineer for many years. IF anyone
uses a tractor for any form of towing job please do not attempt pulling
something from a height, it can destabilise the tractor and literally
flip it over, likewise do not attempt to attach ropes above the drawbar
height, the tractor can in some circumstances literally climb over
itself backwards.

The rope length as you state is critical not only as regards the
tractor, it should be fitted with a safety frame anyway nowadays, but
also it must be a straight pull rather than on the skew.

Regards Peter Fagg

Rob Morley wrote:
In article , "
says...
[...]

Tie them all together (very thoroughly) and treat as one big trunk?
Still might need a hefty tug to get it to fall.

Hmmm, I don't think that'll work. The initial notch on the falling
side will be right through one of the trunks and then the felling cut
on the other side won't form a hinge.

--
Chris Green

Rick wrote:
[...]

I don't see how I can do that, certainly not with the first trunk.
How do I cut it down with access only to one side of the trunk?

I re-read, you have a tractor, just tug them with the tractor, as you
cut away at the other side of the trunk. Just watch the rope length so
it does not land on the tractor.

That's the whole point, there's no way I can "cut away at the other
side of the trunk", the other side of the trunk is in the middle with
three other trunks preventing access to it.

--
Chris Green

Peter Charles Fagg wrote:
Rick, please excuse me but I was alarmed at reading the suggestion to
pull over this tree with a tractor. A tractor can be used quite safely
to pull trees over but there are a few ground rules to be aware of
before attempts are made.

Most of which are common sense but that doesn't mean that people
observe them.

I was employed as an agricultural engineer for many years. IF anyone
uses a tractor for any form of towing job please do not attempt pulling
something from a height, it can destabilise the tractor and literally
flip it over, likewise do not attempt to attach ropes above the drawbar
height, the tractor can in some circumstances literally climb over
itself backwards.

When using our tractor for 'guiding' trees that we're felling I
usually do it in reverse with the rope attached to the bracket at the
front which can carry weights or a snow plough, that's down at the
front axle level. Doing it in reverse means that the person driving
the tractor can observe the tree without effort. It's a 4WD tractor
so traction is rarely a problem.

The rope length as you state is critical not only as regards the
tractor, it should be fitted with a safety frame anyway nowadays, but
also it must be a straight pull rather than on the skew.

Again common sense but still a good thing to point out.

One other thing to be aware of is the amount of energy stored in a
stretched rope. If it breaks or the thing it's attached to breaks
then that energy has to go somewhere and mostly will tend to throw
things at the tractor with considerable force.

--
Chris Green
Paul Mc Cann

In article , says...
Rick wrote:
On 27 Apr 2005 12:30:06 GMT,
wrote:

[...]

It strikes me that if you cut through the first one it can only fall the
one way given that the others are in the way. That should give a little
elbow room to cope with the remaining trunks.

--
Paul Mc Cann
Rob Morley

In article , "Paul Mc
Cann" says...
In article ,
says...
Rick wrote:
On 27 Apr 2005 12:30:06 GMT,
wrote:

[...]

I suspect they're quite thoroughly entwined, so the cut trunk will
just hang there.
Paul Mc Cann

In article ,
says...
In article , "Paul Mc
Cann"
says...
In article ,
says...
Rick wrote:
On 27 Apr 2005 12:30:06 GMT,
wrote:

[...]

Well then you could just cut off 12" at the bottom which would allow
some scope to notch one of the remainder.

At the very least this action would have the same effect as notching on
this side. (i.e.) pre-dispose the others to fall in that direction
--
Paul Mc Cann

Paul Mc Cann wrote:
I re-read, you have a tractor, just tug them with the tractor, as you
cut away at the other side of the trunk. Just watch the rope length so
it does not land on the tractor.

That's the whole point, there's no way I can "cut away at the other
side of the trunk", the other side of the trunk is in the middle with
three other trunks preventing access to it.

It strikes me that if you cut through the first one it can only fall the
one way given that the others are in the way. That should give a little
elbow room to cope with the remaining trunks.

Yes, however there is the minor problem that the chain saw will be
pinched in the cut long before the tree falls.

--
Chris Green

Rob Morley wrote:
That's the whole point, there's no way I can "cut away at the other
side of the trunk", the other side of the trunk is in the middle with
three other trunks preventing access to it.

It strikes me that if you cut through the first one it can only fall the
one way given that the others are in the way. That should give a little
elbow room to cope with the remaining trunks.

I suspect they're quite thoroughly entwined, so the cut trunk will
just hang there.

Actually the first one I need to cut, the one on the side where I want
them all to drop isn't all that entangled and would probably drop away
from the rest if I could cut through it. However I don't really see
how I can cut it given that if I start cutting on the only side I can
get at the saw will be pinched and stuck long before the trunk falls.

--
Chris Green

Paul Mc Cann wrote:

It strikes me that if you cut through the first one it can only fall the
one way given that the others are in the way. That should give a little
elbow room to cope with the remaining trunks.

I suspect they're quite thoroughly entwined, so the cut trunk will
just hang there.

Well then you could just cut off 12" at the bottom which would allow
some scope to notch one of the remainder.

At the very least this action would have the same effect as notching on
this side. (i.e.) pre-dispose the others to fall in that direction

Notching does two things:-

It will tend to help make the tree fall in the desired direction.

It allows one to cut from the other side so that a 'hinge' is
formed which will allow the tree to be dropped accurately.

While cutting right through the first trunk will tend to have the same
effect as the first of the above points it won't do the second at all.
Since I would like to drop this tree quite accurately (to avoid
damaging trees we want to keep) the 'hinge' is quite important.

--
Chris Green

Paul Mc Cann wrote:
[...]

So get an axe and do this first one the old fashioned way!

MBQ

Howard Neil

Howard Neil wrote:

wrote:

Actually the first one I need to cut, the one on the side where I want
them all to drop isn't all that entangled and would probably drop away
from the rest if I could cut through it. However I don't really see
how I can cut it given that if I start cutting on the only side I can
get at the saw will be pinched and stuck long before the trunk falls.

Do you know how to make a plunge cut? If so, notch on the side away from
the other trunks, then plunge cut to make the felling cut (the way you
would if felling a tree leaning at an acute angle). If you don't know
how to make a plunge cut, find someone to show you how. It is simple and
safe when done correctly but potentially dangerous if you do it wrong.

I'd been wondering if this might be a way to do it, it's certainly the
most sensible suggestion so far. I've done what are effectively
plunge cuts before but with nice static horizontal logs. I'll read up
on it and see if it sounds a safe option to try.

Just make sure that you start the cut with the bottom part of the nose.
Once the cut is deep enough, the tree itself will support the saw and
prevent kick-back. I would suggest that it is easier in a standing tree
because it is much more stable than a log and will resist any kick-back
better.

The technique is shown he-

http://international.husqvarna.com/node1470.asp

and on pages 21 and 22 of the Stihl manual which can be downloaded in
pdf form from:-

http://www.stihl.co.uk/html/default_...egory=chainsaw

--
Howard Neil

Howard Neil wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the links. I'll have to adapt what they say a bit because
the trunk is relatively small and I don't have access all around it of
course. However the basic way of starting a plunge cut should get me
to where I want to be.

--
Chris Green
Paul Mc Cann

In article , says...
Paul Mc Cann wrote:

[...]

One doesn't actually form a hinge when dropping a tree. The notch is cut
in one side which pre-disposes the tree to fall in that direction. When
one has cut sufficiently through from the other side. the hinge is
formed by the tree falling towards the space vacated by the wedge.

Removing a section of the first trunk will have a similar effect when
cutting the remaining trunks. The weakness caused by the section removed
will cause the cluster to fall to that side, thus forming the hinge.
Everything of course is dependant on the actual circumstances. Without
pictures it is well nigh impossible to give proper assistance

If you have no experience of doing this then perhaps you should start
with something easier. What you wish to do really is not that
complicated in the right hands.

Reading through this thread I really think you would be advised to get a
third party to deal with it. The trees probably have to be taken down in
sections, which is always recommended anyway.

--
Paul Mc Cann
David Lang

Hi Chris

Could you get the blade of a reciprocating saw in? The green woodcutting
blades are about 12" long so if you came in from each side it might work?

Dave

Paul Mc Cann wrote:

One doesn't actually form a hinge when dropping a tree. The notch is cut
in one side which pre-disposes the tree to fall in that direction. When
one has cut sufficiently through from the other side. the hinge is
formed by the tree falling towards the space vacated by the wedge.

Hmmm, the hinge is formed by the bit you don't cut right through.

Removing a section of the first trunk will have a similar effect when
cutting the remaining trunks. The weakness caused by the section removed
will cause the cluster to fall to that side, thus forming the hinge.
Everything of course is dependant on the actual circumstances. Without
pictures it is well nigh impossible to give proper assistance

On closer inspection I decided that very low down the trunks were
actually merged into one trunk so I went for conventional felling on
that basis.

If you have no experience of doing this then perhaps you should start
with something easier. What you wish to do really is not that
complicated in the right hands.

I have started with easier trees, this is about the tenth (or more)
big Leylandii we have felled.

As I said above I felled it as a single trunk in the end. I cut the
notch (not perfectly looking at the trunk afterwards) and then the
felling cut until there was a bit more wood left than I would normally
leave. I then retreated to a safe distance and got my assistant
(wife) to pull a little bit harder on the guiding rope with the
tractor. Result - perfection! The tree dropped just about exactly
where we intended it to, it had to be pretty accurate to miss trees we
want to preserve on either side. The bottom of the trunk remained
resting on the stump after felling.

Reading through this thread I really think you would be advised to get a
third party to deal with it. The trees probably have to be taken down in
sections, which is always recommended anyway.

Leylandii would be difficult to drop in sections, the limbs often fall
vertically when you cut them which is OK for smallish bits at the
bottom but would be difficult if you're up the tree.

By the way I measured the tree after felling, the trunk was 18" in
diameter where I cut it and the tree was just over 50ft high. We have
one other just about as big to fell and lots of smaller ones too.

--
Chris Green
David

Following on from the tractor pull idea, I have had surprising success
with a long rope tied to the highest but strong part of tree for
maximum leverage and a Volvo estate and tow bar. Of course you do need
space to pull in the right direction. Start with some gentle tugs and
dig up the ground on the opposite side of pull to expose roots. When
root is pulled up near the surface chop with axe. Proceed as each root
is exposed. No chain saw needed !!!

Christmas tree won't drink water Finite Guy Home Repair 43 December 21st 19 11:06 PM
How Lee Valley & Tegs Tools Saved Christmas B Man Woodworking 0 January 21st 05 02:20 AM
repairing a tree with hole in it Danny Home Repair 8 October 10th 04 02:01 PM
unfortunate Lazarus Long Woodworking 32 April 20th 04 02:44 PM
Tree identification. Al Kyder Woodturning 2 September 17th 03 05:13 PM