Rick

On 27 Apr 2005 12:30:06 GMT, wrote:

We have been steadily felling the Leylandii along the front of our
property over the last couple of years. So far we've dropped all of
them just about where we intended with no drama or accidents, this
includes some really big ones with 15" or 18" trunks.

The next in the sequence presents a bit of a problem though. It's a
pretty big tree but the trunk splits into three or four main parts
right from ground level and the parallel 'trunks' remain close
together up to a considerable height.

How should one fell this? It's not possible to do the standard "cut a
wedge out on the side you want it to fall and then cut to make a
'hinge' from the other side" as there are separate trunks to which one
only has chainsaw access at one side. At any level one can reach from
the ground there is no space at all between the trunks, not even a gap
to see through.

I suppose it might be possible to cut a wedge out of each trunk and
then simply use a rope and our tractor to pull it over without
bothering with cutting from the other side, is this a reasonable
approach? In fact if the first one is done like this it might be
possible to do the others more conventionally.

cut them out one at a time, like 4 seperate trees. use a good rope to
tug them down, and get them to fall in the right place.

I re-read, you have a tractor, just tug them with the tractor, as you
cut away at the other side of the trunk. Just watch the rope length so
it does not land on the tractor.

Rick