Yes, however there is the minor problem that the chain saw will be
pinched in the cut long before the tree falls.

--
Chris Green

So get an axe and do this first one the old fashioned way!

That't not a totally silly idea, I have a proper big axe. However one
tends to use the same basic techiniques with an axe as with a chainsaw
to get the tree to fall the right way and then one ends up with the
same issue of only being able to get at one side of the trunk. I'm
not sure that I'd be very keen chopping away at the side of the tree
where it's going to fall.

--
Chris Green