Rob Morley wrote:
That's the whole point, there's no way I can "cut away at the other
side of the trunk", the other side of the trunk is in the middle with
three other trunks preventing access to it.

It strikes me that if you cut through the first one it can only fall the
one way given that the others are in the way. That should give a little
elbow room to cope with the remaining trunks.

I suspect they're quite thoroughly entwined, so the cut trunk will
just hang there.

Actually the first one I need to cut, the one on the side where I want
them all to drop isn't all that entangled and would probably drop away
from the rest if I could cut through it. However I don't really see
how I can cut it given that if I start cutting on the only side I can
get at the saw will be pinched and stuck long before the trunk falls.

--
Chris Green