RG

Default Phone extension wiring

I rerouted a phone extension in my house recently and wired it back up the
same way.
It was working fine until a couple of days ago. Now when I pick up the phone
on the
extension, the main phone starts ringin - either that or there's just no
dial tone. I've
checked the wiring to make sure it's not loose....any other ideas?

Ronnie

RG wrote:
I rerouted a phone extension in my house recently and wired it back

up the
same way.
It was working fine until a couple of days ago. Now when I pick up

the phone
on the
extension, the main phone starts ringin - either that or there's just

no
dial tone. I've
checked the wiring to make sure it's not loose....any other ideas?

Ronnie

Did you route the cable under a fitted carpet? the edge gripper may
have pierced it or there may be something sharp under the carpet, as it
was working initialy people walking over it may have damaged it. Did
you use the correct tool for inserting the wires into the socket? the
terminals can become damaged or make a poor contact

RG

wrote in message
oups.com...

RG wrote:
I rerouted a phone extension in my house recently and wired it back

up the
same way.
It was working fine until a couple of days ago. Now when I pick up

the phone
on the
extension, the main phone starts ringin - either that or there's just

no
dial tone. I've
checked the wiring to make sure it's not loose....any other ideas?

Ronnie

Did you route the cable under a fitted carpet? the edge gripper may
have pierced it or there may be something sharp under the carpet, as it
was working initialy people walking over it may have damaged it. Did

No - it doesn't go near any gripper.

you use the correct tool for inserting the wires into the socket? the
terminals can become damaged or make a poor contact

I wasn't even aware there was a particular tool...do you know
where I can see an example of one?

Cheers
Ronnie

Bob Eager

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 11:57:12 UTC, "RG"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

RG wrote:
[...]

One of many....

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=120281&cks=PRL

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Owain

RG wrote:
I rerouted a phone extension in my house recently and wired it back up the
same way.
It was working fine until a couple of days ago. Now when I pick up the phone
on the
extension, the main phone starts ringin - either that or there's just no
dial tone. I've
checked the wiring to make sure it's not loose....any other ideas?

Are you *sure* you rewired it the correct way - allowing for the fact
that the numbering on most extension sockets is the *reverse* of that on
the back of the BT linebox?

With line on 2 & 5 and ringing on 3, a ringing extension when going
off-hook indicates the phone is wired across 2 & 3 (shorting the ringing
cap and the phone ringer is responding to DC on the ringing wire)
instead of 2 & 5.

Owain

Jeff

RG wrote :-

I wasn't even aware there was a particular tool...do you know
where I can see an example of one?

http://www.aaisp.net.uk/aa/isdnwiring.html

plastic ones are very poor get or borrow a metal tool

Regards Jeff

Mark Carver

RG wrote:
I rerouted a phone extension in my house recently and wired it back up the
same way.
It was working fine until a couple of days ago. Now when I pick up the phone
on the
extension, the main phone starts ringin - either that or there's just no
dial tone. I've
checked the wiring to make sure it's not loose....any other ideas?

As well as other posters have answered, check you have made the
connections properly (the proper tool (or clones of it) is called a
Krone Tool), but also carefully check that the cables on terminals 2 and
5 are not transposed at any point, because the symptoms you describe can
be caused by this.

--
Mark
Frank Erskine

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 13:42:46 +0100, Owain
wrote:

RG wrote:
I rerouted a phone extension in my house recently and wired it back up the
same way.
It was working fine until a couple of days ago. Now when I pick up the phone
on the
extension, the main phone starts ringin - either that or there's just no
dial tone. I've
checked the wiring to make sure it's not loose....any other ideas?

Are you *sure* you rewired it the correct way - allowing for the fact
that the numbering on most extension sockets is the *reverse* of that on
the back of the BT linebox?

It's been working OK until recently... !

--
Frank Erskine
RG

"Owain" wrote in message
RG wrote:
I rerouted a phone extension in my house recently and wired it back up
the same way.
It was working fine until a couple of days ago. Now when I pick up the
phone on the
extension, the main phone starts ringin - either that or there's just no
dial tone. I've
checked the wiring to make sure it's not loose....any other ideas?

Are you *sure* you rewired it the correct way - allowing for the fact that
the numbering on most extension sockets is the *reverse* of that on the
back of the BT linebox?

I took a photo on my digital camera before I started and used the same
extension box when I'd rerouted it. Would it have worked at all if I'd got
it wrong?

With line on 2 & 5 and ringing on 3, a ringing extension when going
off-hook indicates the phone is wired across 2 & 3 (shorting the ringing
cap and the phone ringer is responding to DC on the ringing wire) instead
of 2 & 5.

Something must be shorting I guess. I'll have another look at it. Maybe
it's a connection further back in the wire that I've pulled loose or
something?

Peter Parry

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 15:19:49 +0100, "RG"
wrote:

I took a photo on my digital camera before I started and used the same
extension box when I'd rerouted it. Would it have worked at all if I'd got
it wrong?

Yes - if you had also not got a good contact on pin 3 which is quite
possible if you were using a plastic thing to insert the wires.

--
Peter Parry WPP Ltd http://www.wpp.ltd.uk
Antenna solutions for car, caravan, house, office, boat and tent.

Mike Clarke

In article , Mark Carver
wrote:

As well as other posters have answered, check you have made the
connections properly (the proper tool (or clones of it) is called a
Krone Tool)

We seem to be assuming the OP was using a socket with IDC terminals. If
it's got screw terminals he'll not be needing any special tool.

--
Mike Clarke

Mike Clarke wrote:
In article , Mark Carver
wrote:

As well as other posters have answered, check you have made the
connections properly (the proper tool (or clones of it) is called a
Krone Tool)

We seem to be assuming the OP was using a socket with IDC terminals.

If
it's got screw terminals he'll not be needing any special tool.

--
Mike Clarke

dont for idc either.

NT

Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
wrote:
We seem to be assuming the OP was using a socket with IDC terminals.
If it's got screw terminals he'll not be needing any special tool.

dont for idc either.

It's good advice, though. Using a screwdriver etc is likely to damage the
contacts. You need a parallel faced 'pusher' of exactly the right
thickness - especially if fitting two wires to the same connector.

--
*Windows will never cease *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

We seem to be assuming the OP was using a socket with IDC

terminals.
If it's got screw terminals he'll not be needing any special

tool.

dont for idc either.

It's good advice, though. Using a screwdriver etc is likely to damage

the
contacts. You need a parallel faced 'pusher' of exactly the right
thickness - especially if fitting two wires to the same connector.

The blue pushers are fairly goof proof, but putting ascrewdriver just
to one side and pulling on the wire works too - and its much quicker
IME than finding the blue thing! For newbs, chances are they wont have
a blue thing, and dont need it. Its only if you stick the screwdriver
down the centre that things go wrong.

NT

Timothy Murphy

RG wrote:

I rerouted a phone extension in my house recently and wired it back up the
same way.
It was working fine until a couple of days ago. Now when I pick up the
phone on the
extension, the main phone starts ringin - either that or there's just no
dial tone. I've
checked the wiring to make sure it's not loose....any other ideas?

Slightly OT, but why not use wireless (DECT) phones?
They seem very cheap now.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
basil

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 13:04:56 +0000, Timothy Murphy
wrote:

Slightly OT, but why not use wireless (DECT) phones?
They seem very cheap now.

1/ poor sound quality
2/ microwaved brain problems
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
basil wrote:
Slightly OT, but why not use wireless (DECT) phones?
They seem very cheap now.

1/ poor sound quality

I've got a few of those and the quality is comparable to most hard wired
phones. Certainly good enough. It's those old AM analogue ones which gave
poor quality to the 'other' end.

--
*Eschew obfuscation *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
basil

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 10:58:08 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
basil wrote:
Slightly OT, but why not use wireless (DECT) phones?
They seem very cheap now.

1/ poor sound quality

I've got a few of those and the quality is comparable to most hard wired
phones. Certainly good enough. It's those old AM analogue ones which gave
poor quality to the 'other' end.

But if you want the best, for a home office say, then hardwired and a
decent phone is a must. The quality difference is like comparing
freeview to analoge TV.
Peter Parry

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 08:13:02 GMT, basil wrote:

But if you want the best, for a home office say, then hardwired and a
decent phone is a must. The quality difference is like comparing
freeview to analoge TV.

Indeed, Freeview picture quality is usually considerably better and
more consistent than analogue. In the same way DECT, unless you have
some very poor ones, is at worst indisguishable from wired phones and
often somewhat better because the signal processing opportunities are
greater.

I have a mixture of Siemens and Philips DECT and Elmeg and Panasonic
wired phones - it isn't possible to distinguish the speech quality
between them. Even the cheap Binatones in the workshop (where
instrument life tends to be short and end with "Where did you put
the..oh b$££"r" and low cost is important) are perfectly good, if a
little quiet.

--
Peter Parry WPP Ltd http://www.wpp.ltd.uk
Antenna solutions for car, caravan, house, office, boat and tent.
Fixed Telephone wiring guide at :-
http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wi...telephone.html

basil

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 09:49:55 +0100, Peter Parry
wrote:

Indeed, Freeview picture quality is usually considerably better and
more consistent than analogue.

You dont see the artifacting then?

In the same way DECT, unless you he ave
some very poor ones, is at worst indisguishable from wired phones and
often somewhat better because the signal processing opportunities are
greater.

It can never be better than analoge because it has a d/a and a/d
converters and the transmiter and receiver then it just goes in the
same analoge socket my phone would go in.

I have a mixture of Siemens and Philips DECT and Elmeg and Panasonic
wired phones - it isn't possible to distinguish the speech quality
between them. Even the cheap Binatones in the workshop (where
instrument life tends to be short and end with "Where did you put
the..oh b$££"r" and low cost is important) are perfectly good, if a
little quiet.

Yea they are cheap and also easy to set up an exchange with, but a bit
like comparing wireless to wired LAN, wired is best.

I once tried my *expensivish* phone in the analoge port of my old T/A
and I can say its a pitty we cant have a fully digital phone network

RG

Thanks to all who replied to my question.
You'll be pleased to know that I got it fixed

The discovery of the actual problem was purely chance. I
was opening the extension socket box for about the fourth time
to check my connections when the pin 3 wire(orange with
white stripes) popped out - but not at the connection. Looks
like the wire had severed at the point where the outer sheath
of the telephone stopped but the point of breakage was just
enough inside the sheath to hold the wire in there so you
couldn't see that it had snapped.

Stripped the wires back and reconnected...sorted!

Thanks again.
Ronnie

Andy Wade

basil wrote:

Peter Parry wrote:
Indeed, Freeview picture quality is usually considerably better and
more consistent than analogue.

You dont see the artifacting then?

Analogue has artefacts too (non-linearity, diff. phase and gain errors,
PAL cross colour, etc., etc.). I find I rarely notice MPEG artefacts,
but find almost all off-air analogue TV pictures look slightly noisy
now. I'm firmly in the digital's miles better camp, but others will
disagree.

[DECT]
It can never be better than analoge because it has a d/a and a/d
converters and the transmiter and receiver then it just goes in the
same analoge socket my phone would go in.

The comparison was with analogue cordless phones. The noise and
distortion introduced by the DECT codec is much less than that
introduced by the analogue radio link in the older systems. DECT is a
really good system.

--
Andy
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
basil wrote:
But if you want the best, for a home office say, then hardwired and a
decent phone is a must.

I'm not quite clear what you mean. I frequently record off the phone line,
and a DECT phone sounds pretty much the same as any other good hardwired
one. BT restrict the bandwidth at 'their' end.

The quality difference is like comparing freeview to analoge TV.

Aspect ratio apart, most would be hard pressed to say which was which,
assuming good reception.

--
*When cheese gets it's picture taken, what does it say?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
basil wrote:
Indeed, Freeview picture quality is usually considerably better and
more consistent than analogue.

You dont see the artifacting then?

You don't see the PAL footprint?

--
*One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Peter Parry

wrote:

Indeed, Freeview picture quality is usually considerably better and
more consistent than analogue.

You dont see the artifacting then?

I don't watch fitba so the most common one is of no interest. If you
are comparing overall picture quality Freeview is superior to
analogue.

In the same way DECT, unless you he ave
some very poor ones, is at worst indisguishable from wired phones and
often somewhat better because the signal processing opportunities are
greater.

It can never be better than analoge because it has a d/a and a/d
converters and the transmiter and receiver then it just goes in the
same analoge socket my phone would go in.

It can (and often is) considerably better in that the opportunity to
do some nice signal processing exists and has low implementation
costs. Whilst one could do similar on a POTS phone (and a few do) it
would make it more expensive.

Yea they are cheap and also easy to set up an exchange with,

The PABX is a hard wired ISDN one :-)

but a bit
like comparing wireless to wired LAN, wired is best.

The comparison is invalid. There are numerous technical and security
differences between wired and wireless networks. No such differences
exist between DECT and POTS (except that DECT has a considerable
amount of call management capability which POTS by itself does not).

I once tried my *expensivish* phone in the analoge port of my old T/A
and I can say its a pitty we cant have a fully digital phone network

We have, at least to the handset. The Siemens DECT are ISDN, the
Phillips and Panasonic DECT use analogue POTS extensions. There is
no noticeable difference between them.

--
Peter Parry WPP Ltd http://www.wpp.ltd.uk
Antenna solutions for car, caravan, house, office, boat and tent.
Fixed Telephone wiring guide at :-
http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wi...telephone.html

Phone Jack Wiring ? Robert11 Home Repair 3 March 29th 05 01:16 AM
phone socket wiring Phil McCavity UK diy 7 February 19th 05 02:07 PM
phone line problem - advice wanted! oktokie Home Repair 2 June 11th 04 07:30 PM
Phone Wiring Question B Home Repair 14 July 30th 03 04:35 PM
phone wiring question... gothika Electronics Repair 2 July 18th 03 11:16 AM