oktokie

Default phone line problem - advice wanted!

I have a phone line that is currently down and I don't know what's wrong
with it.
I have called my Verizon and got an instruction to go outside of house
to check phone line from
Network Interface and it works fine from network interface.
My phone line is a regular POT line where I used to have two line due to
modem dial-up but that is gone now. I reduced to only 1 phone line about
3 years ago and been using phone fine except occational strange and some
what shortend ring tone - plus when that happens phone line status is
very bad(I've never had voice-mailbox service).

Currently, my phone line would not work from inside house but from
Network Interface phone works.
I hear strange alarming beeping tone when I lift headset off the tone.
Here is what my strange beeping dial tone sounds like

href="http://www.hacksrus.com/~oktokie/music/phone_line_sound.mp3"phone_line_sound/a

Please, give me some advice on what to look for. Could it be possible
that phone lines installed in my house is the problem? (possible shorted
phone line?)

Thank you in advance.

Oktokie

PrecisionMachinisT

"oktokie" wrote in message
et...
[...]

Suggest disconnect / inspect / rewire all jacks in the system, bringing them
back online one at a time, checking for proper operation as you proceed
along

Red/green is the traditional tip-ring color code in legacy phone systems
(pots) using older quad wire, while in the cat3~cat 5 it is the blue
pair......

Modern RJ11 ~RJ45 differ only in the width of the jack and number of wire
pairs
involved--the color code staying the same going from center
outwards.....

Line 1 is the two center pins.

See the chart :

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/6209

--

SVL

Travis Jordan

oktokie wrote:
/snip/
Currently, my phone line would not work from inside house but from
Network Interface phone works.
I hear strange alarming beeping tone when I lift headset off the tone.
Here is what my strange beeping dial tone sounds like

href="http://www.hacksrus.com/~oktokie/music/phone_line_sound.mp3"phone
_line_sound/a

That's a fast busy or 'reorder' tone. One side of the line is shorted
to ground between the telco demarc and your phone. Could be a defective
phone (i.e. as the result of a lightning strke). If you have more than
one phone, disconnect them all. If the problem goes away then plug the
phones back in one at a time until the problem reoccurs. Could also be
a damaged house pair as the result of who-knows-what.