Peter Parry

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 11:43:39 GMT, basil wrote:

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 09:49:55 +0100, Peter Parry
wrote:

Indeed, Freeview picture quality is usually considerably better and
more consistent than analogue.

You dont see the artifacting then?

I don't watch fitba so the most common one is of no interest. If you
are comparing overall picture quality Freeview is superior to
analogue.

In the same way DECT, unless you he ave
some very poor ones, is at worst indisguishable from wired phones and
often somewhat better because the signal processing opportunities are
greater.

It can never be better than analoge because it has a d/a and a/d
converters and the transmiter and receiver then it just goes in the
same analoge socket my phone would go in.

It can (and often is) considerably better in that the opportunity to
do some nice signal processing exists and has low implementation
costs. Whilst one could do similar on a POTS phone (and a few do) it
would make it more expensive.

Yea they are cheap and also easy to set up an exchange with,

The PABX is a hard wired ISDN one :-)

but a bit
like comparing wireless to wired LAN, wired is best.

The comparison is invalid. There are numerous technical and security
differences between wired and wireless networks. No such differences
exist between DECT and POTS (except that DECT has a considerable
amount of call management capability which POTS by itself does not).

I once tried my *expensivish* phone in the analoge port of my old T/A
and I can say its a pitty we cant have a fully digital phone network

We have, at least to the handset. The Siemens DECT are ISDN, the
Phillips and Panasonic DECT use analogue POTS extensions. There is
no noticeable difference between them.

--
Peter Parry WPP Ltd http://www.wpp.ltd.uk
Antenna solutions for car, caravan, house, office, boat and tent.