gothika

Default phone wiring question...

As stated in my previous threads I'll be running new wire for my
phones.
A couple of questions.
I have a couple of large spools of network cable, the blue shielded
stuff. I'm thinking it's 8 strand in 4 twisted pairs.(This is high
grade stuff that I used when helping a friend network his office
building. Commonly called "bluefire" cable.)
Would this cable work for regular phone line?
Also would it be of any benefit to run this in metal conduit to
prevent noise and any possible passive tap?(High impedance pickup
coil)
I know this wire is way more expensive than regular phone line but I
have a surplus of it and that'd be cheaper than going out and buying a
new spool of phone cable.

Steve Reinis

Cat5 is fine for POTS service and I just recently rewired my home with Cat5
due to old and worn out previous wiring. If you are not familiar with POTS
wiring, search the web for color charts to match up the proper pair colors
to the connections in your outside NID as well as the individual jacks. The
signals don't care a squat about what color the insulation is and you could
get away with using just any old pair, but it's always better to stick to
iniform standards...especially when you have multiple lines. I rewired
because I recently had ISDN installed at my home and my old wiring was in
horrible shape. I also opted to rewire the house so it was more like a
network - I used a star topography (each drop runs back to the "hub" or NID)
versuses the standard jack-to-jack wiring usually used when houses are wired
when being constructed. I'm not sure there is any benefit right now to
that, but now I have full control over what data goes to what jack.

-Steve