Ryan

Default OT - Norstar 3x8 phone system question

Hi Group,

Please indulge the off topic question, but you folks are so helpful, I would
be remiss if I did not pose this question to the group. Hopefully you folks
can set me straight. The prior owner of our home had installed a fancy phone
system (Norstar 3x8 DR5 system). 3 years have gone by and I would like to
finally add our second line to the system. Each year I go downstairs and
look over the wiring, but it never becomes less daunting.

We are serviced with analog lines, and the system is already set up one
phone line, and a doorbell speaker... so it is using 2 (of the three) lines.

I guess what I am looking for, is some sort of technical wiring diagram?
Also, so guidance as to how to add the line to the phone system.

I "think" that I have a game plan for the wiring side of the job... but not
THAT confident! If anyone has helpful, constructive comments, I am all
ears!

Ryan

Jim Stewart

Ryan wrote:
[...]

Here's a link to a manual on your system.
Don't ask me why it's so horribly long or
how to get it into your browser.

http://www130.nortelnetworks.com/cgi...onID=REND37854

Vaughn

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
Ryan wrote:

I "think" that I have a game plan for the wiring side of the job... but

not
THAT confident! If anyone has helpful, constructive comments, I am all
ears!

Here's a link to a manual on your system.
Don't ask me why it's so horribly long or
how to get it into your browser.

http://www130.nortelnetworks.com/cgi...onID=REND37854

The above URL worked fine for me, but here is a shorter one that I think
takes you to the same place:
http://www142.nortelnetworks.com/bvd...0842627_01.pdf

Unfortunately the above is the customer's manual and not the installer's
manual. Usually systems of that class simply have a modular plug for each
line and all you have to do is plug in. If you would like an answer from
someone who really knows, go to comp.dcom.telecom.tech and ask there.

Unless you want to do something fancy, programming should not be an issue,
these systems come programmed from the factory "square", that means that all
line are on all phones.

Good luck
Vaughn

Gunner

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 21:55:04 GMT, "Ryan"
wrote:

[...]

Your 3x8 system, indicates 3 CO lines and 8 stations (phones) capacity.
You can add one more CO (outside line). Many of these small key systems
would allow you to dedicate a station port with a proper door/call box
instead of using a CO line port. Im not particularly familiar with
Nortel products, but here is their home page.

Look for a jack marked CO3 on the KSU (key service unit or the brain
box for those in Rio Linda ) for the next available phone line. If the
installer used default programming, that port should be active. If
not..then things get a bit more complicated..Class of service
programming, autopickup, etc etc all may need to be programmed..and
programming some of them is a PITA unless you are intimately familiar
with that particular system.

http://www.nortelnetworks.com/produc...r/systems.html

Gunner

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Ryan

Excellent advise all...thank you.

Gunner, that makes perfect sense, and I did find an open line marked '3' on
the brain box. It looks like they just have a regular phone cable running
from the main analog incoming line from outside, to the brain box for phone
line #1, and then a line coming from the doorbell speaker box to line #2. I
guess my fear now is that the system will need special programming (like you
said) to recognize the new line. OK, I've built up the courage, off I go to
find out.

Ryan

Ryan

OK... some results.

I wired the new phone line into the brain box, at the connection labeled
Line 3. Took the cell phone and called that number. To my surprise, one of
the 4 phones in the house started to ring. It was lite up on the "intercom"
button, and the display on that particular phone said "Line 03 to prime". I
selected the intercom button, and the call went thru.

So now, in my glee, I proceeded to check the other 3 phones, but none of
them would ring, or even lite up on the display that a call was coming in.

SO...I guess the phone that would ring, must be designated as some kind of
"main" , or default phone.

I guess this indicates some further programming is required for the rest of
the phones to recognize the new line... any thoughts there?

Ryan

Gunner

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 17:03:58 GMT, "Ryan"
wrote:

OK... some results.

I wired the new phone line into the brain box, at the connection labeled
Line 3. Took the cell phone and called that number. To my surprise, one of
the 4 phones in the house started to ring. It was lite up on the "intercom"
button, and the display on that particular phone said "Line 03 to prime". I
selected the intercom button, and the call went thru.

So now, in my glee, I proceeded to check the other 3 phones, but none of
them would ring, or even lite up on the display that a call was coming in.

SO...I guess the phone that would ring, must be designated as some kind of
"main" , or default phone.

I guess this indicates some further programming is required for the rest of
the phones to recognize the new line... any thoughts there?

Ryan

Do you have the users manual? Its possible..possible that Night Call or
Night Transfer has been turned on, and not turned off.

This feature is say..for a factory for example, that closes the offices
at 5pm. When the front office girl leaves, she punches a couple buttons
and turns on Night Transfer/night Call and all the calls now are
directed to the security guard shack. In the morning, when she comes
in, she turns off this feature, and all the phones then act normal
again. This often blocks access to phones thoughout the facility so
employees cannot make unauthorized calls afterhours.

However..I suspect you will need to get the programming guide and select
COS (class of service) Ringing, etc etc for the stations that are not
able to use line 3. Ive seen installation companies do this in order to
get a service call in the future. ****ty ****ty..but some do it anyways.

Like alarm companies that program in a locking code to prevent another
cheaper alarm company from coming in and letting the customer change to
another monitoring service, even though the customer owns the box.
I have two control panels that are locked out like this that I could
use, but it requires sending them to the distributor for a fee, to
unlock them.

Gunner

Gunner

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Ryan

Ahh, many thanks for your participation in this Mr. Gunner,

I do indeed have a "user manual" and noted a few things over the last hour
of investigation.
1. The manual indicates it if no other lines will accept a call, the
"prime" phone set will ring. I suspect this is what is meant by the display
reading "line 03 to prime".
2. I do have the password, and am "somewhat" familiar with COS, and it
seems to be the route to go to solve the rest of this project.

One question. I am ass-u-me(ing) that no further wiring needs to be done
down at the main connections, other than the wire that I plugged into the
Line 3 port on the brain box... would that be correct?

I cannot access the dial tone for the new line, which makes some sense
seeing as I have not designated a "line" button on the phone for "line 3".

Thanks again, and if you feel any other items of interest may bear fruit,
please don't hesitate in adding them,

Ryan

wrote:

[...]

Gunner

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 19:34:32 GMT, "Ryan"
wrote:

[...]

If it works on one station (probably station 10 or zero) then its likely
that you are good to go as far as any wiring is concerned, and its now a
programming matter.

I ran a communications/security/data company for 15 yrs as tech
services manager.. Shug. I still keep Comdial, TIE and a couple other
manufactures manuals in my truck, along with punch down tools, butt set
etc. Every so often a machine tool customer will need a station moved or
a feature changed, or a network/cable modified. Every little bit helps
in theres financially Challenging times...sigh

One of the things to check for in your manual..before starting to make
program changes..is to see if there is a KSU reset code. If you screw
the pooch while programming..often there is a way to reset to factory
default which is generally Square programming..or everything works at a
basic minimum. Might loose the door box which would need to be
reprogrammed, depending on its COS.

Someday Ill have a key system in my house. I like the intercomm/speaker
phone options most have and the music on hold/background music.
It will either be a Comdial or a Vodavi. Pretty good stuff that I know
well, and Comdial, while a PITA to program..is bullet proof and the
phones are tough as hell.

Anyone ever find a Comdial system collecting dust. with 4-6 stations..we
can do some trading. 3x8 would be fine.

Gunner

Gunner...just plain Gunner, no Sir, no Mr. Just Gunner

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Gunner

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 20:40:17 GMT, "Ryan"
wrote:

Thanks for the advise Gunner... I won the battle.. had to go into CONFIG,
not ADMIN to alter the line status... All up and running now.. it is GREAT!

Ryan

My pleasure.

Gunner

.. .
wrote:

[...]

.. .
wrote:

[...]

"By calling attention to 'a well regulated militia', the 'security' of the
nation, and the right of each citizen 'to keep and bear arms', our founding
fathers recognized the essentially civilian nature of our economy. Although
it is extremely unlikely that the fears of governmental tyranny which gave
rise to the Second Amendment will ever be a major danger to our nation, the
Amendment still remains an important declaration of our basic
civilian-military relationships, in which every citizen must be ready to
participate in the defense of his country. For that reason, I believe the
Second Amendment will always be important."
-- Senator John F. Kennedy, (D) 1960