Gunner

Default OT - Norstar 3x8 phone system question

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 21:55:04 GMT, "Ryan"
wrote:

Hi Group,

Please indulge the off topic question, but you folks are so helpful, I would
be remiss if I did not pose this question to the group. Hopefully you folks
can set me straight. The prior owner of our home had installed a fancy phone
system (Norstar 3x8 DR5 system). 3 years have gone by and I would like to
finally add our second line to the system. Each year I go downstairs and
look over the wiring, but it never becomes less daunting.

We are serviced with analog lines, and the system is already set up one
phone line, and a doorbell speaker... so it is using 2 (of the three) lines.

I guess what I am looking for, is some sort of technical wiring diagram?
Also, so guidance as to how to add the line to the phone system.

I "think" that I have a game plan for the wiring side of the job... but not
THAT confident! If anyone has helpful, constructive comments, I am all
ears!

Ryan

Your 3x8 system, indicates 3 CO lines and 8 stations (phones) capacity.
You can add one more CO (outside line). Many of these small key systems
would allow you to dedicate a station port with a proper door/call box
instead of using a CO line port. Im not particularly familiar with
Nortel products, but here is their home page.

Look for a jack marked CO3 on the KSU (key service unit or the brain
box for those in Rio Linda ) for the next available phone line. If the
installer used default programming, that port should be active. If
not..then things get a bit more complicated..Class of service
programming, autopickup, etc etc all may need to be programmed..and
programming some of them is a PITA unless you are intimately familiar
with that particular system.

http://www.nortelnetworks.com/produc...r/systems.html

Gunner

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.