Cliff

Default OT - 386 code

[
Undocumented 8088/8086/80286/80386 Instruction Set

Assembler programs are written with short abbreviations
called MNEMONICS, in other words instead of writing GOTO,
the programmer writes JMP or even BRA (branch). These
instructions are frequently abbreviated into total
incomprehensibility.

Of course, we all know that abbreviations are arbitrary.
Anyone who has spent any time programming in assembler knows
that all computers can be programmed using an undocumented
set of instructions. Frequently when an error is made
writing a program in assembler, a user can actually see the
program executing the undocumented instructions.

These instruction vary from machine to machine, but all
computers have a certain set of them in common. As a
service to humanity, I am here revealing these common
instructions for the first time.

ARG Agree to Run Garbage
BDM Branch and Destroy Memory
CMN Convert to Mayan Numerals
DDS Damage Disk and Stop
EMR Emit Microwave Radiation
ETA Emulate Toaster Oven
FSE Fake Serious Error
GSI Garble Subsequent Instruction
GQS Go Quarter Speed
HEM Hide Evidence of Malfunction
IDD Inhale Dust and Die
IKI Ignore Keyboard Input
IMU Irradiate and Mutate User
JPF Jam Paper Feed
JUM Jeer at User Mistake
KFP Kindle Fire in Printer
LNM Launch Nuclear Missiles
MAW Make Aggravating Whine
NNI Neglect Next Instruction
OBU Overheat and Burn if Unattended
PNG Pass Noxious Gas
QWF Quit Working Forever
QVC Question Valid Command
RWD Read Wrong Device
SCE Simulate Correct Execution
SDJ Send Data to Japan
TTC Tangle Tape and Crash
UBC Use Bad Chip
VDP Violate Design Parameters
VMB Verify and Make Bad
WAF Warn After Fact
XID eXchange Instruction with data
YII Yield to Irresistible Impulse
ZAM Zero All Memory
]
John Ings

COMPILER: Software that turns sourcecode into error messages.

Bugs

You're making me nostalgic. How about writing in hex? Now that was fun!
Bugs

Jeff Wisnia

Bugs wrote:
You're making me nostalgic. How about writing in hex? Now that was fun!
Bugs

It was, but I "needed an extra hand" to count to 15.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Boris Mohar

Time to post this old rag again. Modern additions and improvements
welcome.

Assembler: You spend months in machine shop, hand crafting
the bullet, the cartridge, and the gun. You do your all your own
casting, stamping, machining, etc. You assemble it yourself, and you
lubricate it using oils that you press from seeds in a mill that you
copied from another shop where you used to work. You set up your own
chemical laboratory to make the powder and the primer. You go so far
over budget that you can only giggle about it when they ask how things
are going.

Finally, you put it all together, you point the gun at your foot,
you fire; and then your boss walks in and tells you to shoot the
other foot too. You calmly explain to him why you're going to have
to make another gun.

Perl: it'll take a very long time to find the trigger, and once you
have found it, you will notice that there are in fact an infinite number
of triggers, and that you have an infinite number of toes, and you'll
never be able to decide which toe you will shoot with which trigger.
And without making any decision, you'll eventually end up deprived
of your legs.
C: You shoot yourself in the foot.

FORTRAN: You shoot yourself in every toe, slowly, one by one,
until all toes are used up. Then you read the next foot and
repeat the process. You will continue, even though you have
used up all the ammunition, because there's no routine for
exception handling.

PL/I: You use up all the system resources including the
off-line ammunition. DP and personnel management double their
size, triple their budgets, buy four new mainframes and let the
old one drop on your foot.

Pascal: The compiler won't let you shoot yourself in the foot.

Forth: You shoot yourself through both feet with a single bullet
since you are standing with one foot on top of the other.

Algol: You shoot yourself in the foot with a musket. The musket
is fascinating in aesthetic respects and the wound confuses the
young nurse in the first-aid room.

Modula-2: After discovering that you will never ever be able to
manage anything in this language you shoot yourself in the head.

Ada: If you're stupid enough to engage in this language the US
ministry of defense will kidnap you, put you in front of an
execution squad and command: Shoot at his feet!

C++: You incidentally create a dozen instances of yourself and
shoot all of them in the foot. First aid isn't possible, as it
cannot be decided which instances are bit-accurate copies and which
only point to other ones: "Over there that's me."

Smalltalk: You are spending so much time playing with the graphics
and the windowing system, that your boss will shoot you in the foot,
take away your work station and has you coding Cobol on a
character-based terminal.

Lisp: You will shoot into the accessory, which holds the gun, that
you are using to shoot into the accessory....

Prolog: You try to shoot yourself in the foot, but the bullet,
which misses the target, ricochets into the gun which explodes in your
face.

Visual Basic: You pay Microsoft an inordinate amount of money, then
they put a control right there on the button bar that shoots you in
the foot. If you don't like the implementation, fine - shoot your
foot in another language. But don't forget to buy WIN 2000 first.
Assembler
You put the bullet over your foot and drive it in to the instep with a
hammer.

Javascript
You attach the bullet to every shoe and it fires into the foot as you
tie the shoestring.

Java
You attach the gun to every shoe. When you tie the shoestring, it
goes and gets a bullet and fires it into your foot. You also can get
athletes foot using Java.

BC
You fire bullets into your foot of any arbitrary length and any cross
section. Best used for bullets that are several feet long.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see:
Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs (among other things) http://www.viatrack.ca

Jim McGill

First version of that list I saw was back in the '60's for an IBM 7094
(any other geezers remember that beast - filled the room with less power
than a modern hand held calculator). It had a couple classics that you
missed:

BAH - Branch And Hang
XPI - eXecute Programmer Immediately

Mac

Jim Stewart

Jim McGill wrote:
First version of that list I saw was back in the '60's for an IBM 7094
(any other geezers remember that beast - filled the room with less power
than a modern hand held calculator). It had a couple classics that you
missed:

BAH - Branch And Hang
XPI - eXecute Programmer Immediately

Mac

That's the one I remember. And my favorite was:

HCF - Halt and Catch Fire

Pat Ford

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
Bugs wrote:
You're making me nostalgic. How about writing in hex? Now that was fun!
Bugs

It was, but I "needed an extra hand" to count to 15.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

real programmer only need 2 fingers 8*)
Pat

John Hofstad-Parkhill

RPM - Read Programmer's mind
BMLE - Branch more-or-less equal
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Cliff wrote:
[
Undocumented 8088/8086/80286/80386 Instruction Set

[ ... ]

These instruction vary from machine to machine, but all
computers have a certain set of them in common. As a
service to humanity, I am here revealing these common
instructions for the first time.

ARG Agree to Run Garbage

One, which really *was* on the Motorola 6800 CPU was called:

HCF Hang and Catch Fire

And what it really did was to tri-state the data bus (no reads or
writes) and sequentially produce every possible address, rolling over
from 65535 (FFFF) back to zero (0000).

As far as I know, it was intended as a quick test of
functionality of the CPU, probably run before it was even mounted in a
chip package.

What *I* used it for was as a debugging aid when building
wire-wrapped computers. Since each address line was either twice or
half the frequency square wave as the next one up or down, it was easy
to identify which line you were looking at with a scope, and pretty easy
to determine which address lines were contributing to a decoded address
as well.

So -- I burned an EPROM which had the reset vector pointed to
an instance of that instruction, with the address selected to require
only the bare minimum of functioning address lines.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

yourname

I used to have a job that more or less consisted of typing GFT01 cr
and reading while the system wrote and read every frigging address in
the memory. took 45 minutes

DoN. Nichols wrote:
In article ,
Cliff wrote:

[
[...]

Cliff:
While you and I are at the extreme
ends on any political scale, I loved this.
It brought back painfull memories of
leraning to program on a 6502 based KIM.
on my own.
After dealing with the danes for 10 hours
today, I needed a good laugh. and a reminder
of why I didn't go into a "high paying computer job".
So I burnt the day by recording odd stuff for use
in a TV promo. I bet you didn't know that if
you take a cotton beach towel apply different
color ligths at odd angles you get video that looks like
everything in from the Grand Canyon, to a glacier.
By the time the graphics people get through munging
the video it will look even "odder"
Anyway thanks for starting a fun thread.
Terry

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 09:12:51 -0800, Jim Stewart
wrote:

Jim McGill wrote:
First version of that list I saw was back in the '60's for an IBM 7094
(any other geezers remember that beast - filled the room with less power
than a modern hand held calculator). It had a couple classics that you
missed:

BAH - Branch And Hang
XPI - eXecute Programmer Immediately

Mac

That's the one I remember. And my favorite was:

HCF - Halt and Catch Fire

You got it wrong. It's

HMC -- Halt, Melt and Catch Fire

--RC
"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.
'Captain' Kirk DeHaan

Bugs said the following on 1/5/2005 7:07 AM:
You're making me nostalgic. How about writing in hex? Now that was fun!
Bugs

How about entering code on a front panel keyboard in octal on an old
Heathkit 8 bit computer.

--

Kirk

"Screw the planes, take a train", Me

John Ings

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 15:21:22 -0800, 'Captain' Kirk DeHaan
wrote:

How about entering code on a front panel keyboard in octal on an old
Heathkit 8 bit computer.

I go back further than that. My first computer was a homebrew that
used an 8008, and yes, bootstraps were loaded via front panel
switches. ROM? What's that?

'Captain' Kirk DeHaan

wrote:

How about entering code on a front panel keyboard in octal on an old
Heathkit 8 bit computer.

I go back further than that. My first computer was a homebrew that
used an 8008, and yes, bootstraps were loaded via front panel
switches. ROM? What's that?

The Heathkit used a cassette tape.

--

Kirk

"Screw the planes, take a train", Me
John Ings

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 16:48:20 -0800, 'Captain' Kirk DeHaan
wrote:

I go back further than that. My first computer was a homebrew that
used an 8008, and yes, bootstraps were loaded via front panel
switches. ROM? What's that?

The Heathkit used a cassette tape.

Mine used Byte Magazine's 'Bit Boffer' and an ASR 28 teletype for I/O

Cliff

wrote:

Bugs said the following on 1/5/2005 7:07 AM:
You're making me nostalgic. How about writing in hex? Now that was fun!
Bugs

How about entering code on a front panel keyboard in octal on an old
Heathkit 8 bit computer.

Knew a fellow that was good at it in binary on the IBM 1620 ....
Sort of ended when he made a typo & wiped MONITOR (the OS) from
the disk one night .... nobody in the world seemed to have a copy
of that version ..... made do with a copy of Upjohn's version IIRC.
--
Cliff

Siggy

Or PAM - the PAnel Monitor if you didn't have the serial/cassette card.
Later, Heath offered hard sectored floppies that had an unformatted capacity
of almost 100k (Yes, k, not meg or gig). As a matter of fact, I still have
my H-8, H-19 terminal, dual floppy, 40k, etc. system on a shelf in the
garage. Those were the days.. what fun.

Robert

news
wrote:

How about entering code on a front panel keyboard in octal on an old
Heathkit 8 bit computer.

I go back further than that. My first computer was a homebrew that
used an 8008, and yes, bootstraps were loaded via front panel
switches. ROM? What's that?

The Heathkit used a cassette tape.

--

Kirk

"Screw the planes, take a train", Me

Thomas Kendrick

The IBM 1620 was a biquinary machine as I recall. The one that I
worked on did not have a disk. I had the machine code manual bought
new from IBM, but do not have it any more.

wrote:

Bugs said the following on 1/5/2005 7:07 AM:
You're making me nostalgic. How about writing in hex? Now that was fun!
Bugs

How about entering code on a front panel keyboard in octal on an old
Heathkit 8 bit computer.

Knew a fellow that was good at it in binary on the IBM 1620 ....
Sort of ended when he made a typo & wiped MONITOR (the OS) from
the disk one night .... nobody in the world seemed to have a copy
of that version ..... made do with a copy of Upjohn's version IIRC.

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo

Cliff writes:

Undocumented 8088/8086/80286/80386 Instruction Set

Quoting from the good old NutWorks online humor magazine, issues 6 and
7, from October and November 1985, respectively:

OP CODES
========
(Contributed By Knappy 8350428 @ UWAVM)

mnemonic meaning
-------- -------
AAC Alter All Commands
AAD Alter All Data
AAO Add And Overflow
AAR Alter At Random
AB Add Backwards
ABR Add Beyond Range
ACC Advance CPU clock
ACQT Advance Clock to Quitting Time
ADB Another Damn Bug [UNIX]
AEE Absolve engineering errors
AFF Add Fudge Factor
AFHB Align Fullword on Halfword Boundary
AFP Abnormalized Floating Point
AFVC Add Finagle's Variable Constant "the constant
that must be added to make your data support
your conclusions"
AGB Add GarBage
AI Add Improper
AIB Attack Innocent Bystander
AMM Answer My Mail
AOI Annoy Operator Immediate
AR Alter Reality
ARNZ Add & Reset to Non-Zero
ARZ Add & Reset to Zero
AS Add Sideways
AT Accumulate Trivia
AWP Argue With Programmer
AWTT Assemble With Tinker Toys
BAC Branch to Alpha Centauri
BAF Blow All Fuses
BAH Branch And Hang
BALC Branch And Link Cheeseburger
BAW Bells And Whistles
BB Branch on bug
BBB Burn Baby Burn
BBBB Byte Baudy Bit and Branch
BBI Branch on Blinking Indicator
BBL Branch on Burned-out Lamp
BCB Burp and Clear Bytes
BCBF Branch on Chip Box Full
BCIL Branch Creating Infinite Loop
BCR Backspace Card Reader
BCU Be Cruel and Unusual
BD Backspace Disk
BDC Break Down and Cry
BDM Branch and Disconnect Memory
BDT Branch on Dumb Terminal
BDT Burn Data Tree [next opcode after Decorate Data
Tree
BDU Branch on Dumb User
BE Branch Everywhere [As in HHGttG's Infinite
Improbability Computer"
BF Belch Fire
BH Branch and Hang
BIRM Branch on Index Register Missing
BLC Branch and Loop Continuous
BLM Branch, Like, Maybe
BLMWM Branch, Like, Maybe, Wow, Man
BLR Branch and Lose Return
BM Branch Maybe
BMI Branch on Missing Index
BNA Branch to Nonexistent Address
BNR Branch for No Reason
BOA Branch on Operator Absent
BOD Branch on Operator Desperate
BOHP Bribe Operator for Higher Priority
BOP Boot OPerator
BPD Branch on Programmer Debugging
BPIM Bury Programmer In Manuals
BPO Branch on Power Off
BR Byte and Run
BRA BRanch Anywhere
BRA Branch to Random Address
BRI BRanch Indefinitely
BRO BRanch to Oblivion
BRP Branch on Real Programmer
BRT BRanch on Tuesdays
BSC Burst Selector Channel
BSM Branch and Scramble Memory
BSO Branch on Sleepy Operator
BSP BackSpace Printer
BST Backspace & Stretch Tape
BTD Byte The Dust
BTJ Branch & Turn Japanese
BTO Branch To Oblivion
BW Branch on Whim
BWABL Bells, Whistles And Blinking Lights
BWOP BeWilder OPerator
CAF Convert Ascii to Farsic
CAI Corrupt Accounting Information
CAIL Crash After I Leave
CAT Confused And Tired [UNIX]
CBA Compare & Branch Anyway
CBNC Close, But No Cigar
CBS Clobber BootStrap
CC Call Calvary
CC Crappy Control [UNIX]
CCB Consult Crystal Ball
CCCP Conceal Condition-Codes Permanently
CCD Choke, Cough and Die
CCD Clear Current Directory "this may really exist!"
CCD Clear Core and Dump
CCR Change Channels Random
CCS Chinese Character Set
CCWR Change Color of Write Ring
CDR Complement Disk Randomly
CFS Corrupt File Structure
CG Convert to Garbage
CH Create Havoc
CHAPMR CHAse Pointers Around Machine Room
CIB Change Important Byte
CIMM Create Imaginary Memory Map
CM Circulate memory
CMD CPU Melt Down
CMD Compare Meaningless Data
CMI Clobber Monitor Immediately
CML Compute Meaning of Life (42)
CMP Create Memory Prosthesis
CMS Click MicroSwitch
CN Compare Nonsensically
CNB Cause Nervous Breakdown
COLB Crash for Operator's Lunch Break
COMF COMe From
COS Copy Object Code to Source File
COWHU Come Out With your Hands Up
CP%FKM CPU - Flakeout mode
CP%WM CPU - Weird Mode
CPB Create Program Bug
CPR Compliment PRogrammer ("Aren't you cute!")
CPSN Change Processor Serial Number
CRASH Continue Running after Stop or Halt
CRM Clear Random Memory
CRN Convert to Roman Numerals [IBM Italy only]
CRYPT reCuRsive encrYPt Tape mnemonic [UNIX]
CS Crash System
CSL Curse and Swear Loudly
CSN Call Supervisor Names
CSNIO Crash System on Next I/O
CSU Call Self Unconditional " the ultimate in
recursive programming"
CSYS Crash SYStem
CTDMR Change Tape Density, Mid Record
CUC Cheat Until Caught
CVFL Convert Floating to Logical
CVFP ConVert FORTRAN to PASCAL
CVG ConVert to Garbage
CVU ConVert to Unary
CWAH Create Woman And Hold
CWDC Cut Wires and Drop Cores
DA Develop Amnesia
DAP De-select Active Peripheral
DAUF Delete All Useless Files "would YOU trust a
computer that far ???"
DBL Desegregate Bus Lines
DBR Debase Register
DBZ Divide By Zero
DC Degauss Core
DC Divide and Conquer
DCAD Dump Core And Die
DCD Drop Cards Double
DCGC Dump Confusing Garbage to Console
DCI Disk Crash Immediate
DCON Disable CONsole
DCT Drop Cards Triple
DCWPDGD Drink Coffee, Write Program, Debug, Get Drunk
DD Destroy Disk
DDC Daily During Calculations
DDOA Drop Dead On Answer
DDS Delaminate Disk Surface
DEB Disk Eject Both
DEC Decompile Executable Code
DEI Disk Eject Immediate
DEM Disk Eject Memory
DES Disk Eject Swapped
DHTPL Disk Head Three Point Landing
DIA Develop Ineffective Address
DIIL Disable Interrupts and enter Infinite Loop
DIRFW Do It Right For Once
DISC DISmount CPU
DJ Deferred Jump
DK Destroy Klingons
DK%WMM Disk Unit - Washing Machine Mode
DKP Disavow Knowledge of Programmer
DLN Don't Look Now...
DLP Drain Literal Pool
DMPE Decide to Major in Physical Education
DMPK Destroy Memory Protect Key
DO Divide & Overflow
DOC Drive Operator Crazy
DPC Decrement Program Counter
DPMI Declare Programmer Mentally Incompetent
DPR Destroy Program
DPS Disable Power Supply
DRAF DRAw Flowchart
DRI Disable Random Interrupt
DRT Disconnect Random Terminal
DS Deadlock System
DSH Destroy Sector Header
DSI Do Something Interesting
DSPK Destroy Storage Protect Key
DSR Detonate Status Register
DSTD Do Something Totally Different
DSUIT Do Something Utterly, Indescribably Terrible
DT%FFP DecTape - unload and Flappa-FlaP
DT%SHO DecTape - Spin Hubs Opposite
DTC Destroy This Command
DTI Do The Impossible
DTRT Do The Right Thing
DTVFL Destroy Third Variable From Left
DU Dump User
DUD Do Until Dead
DVC Devaluate Computer
DW Destroy Work
DW Destroy World
DWIM Do What I Mean
DWIT Do What I'm Thinking
DWL Define Word Length
DWLZ Define Word Length Zero
EBRS Emit Burnt Resistor Smell
EC Eat card
EC Eject Carriage
ECI Execute Current Instruction
ECL Early Care Lace
ECO Electrocute Computer Operator
ECP Erase Card Punch
ED Eject Disk
ED Execute Data [UNIX]
EDD Eat Disk and Die
EDIT Erase Data and Increment Time
EDR Execute Destructive Read
EDS Execute Data Segment
EEP Erase Entire Program
EFD Eject Floppy Disk
EIAO Execute In Any Order
EIO Erase I/O page
EIOC Execute Invalid OpCode
EIP Execute Programmer Immediately
EJD%V EJect Disk with initial velocity V
ELP Enter Loop Permanently
EM Emulate 407
EM Evacuate Memory
EMSL Entire Memory Shift Left
EMT Electrocute Maintenance Technician
EMW Emulate Matag washer
ENF Emit Noxious Fumes
ENH Execute No-op & Hang
EO Execute Operator
EOI Execute Operator Immediate
EP Execute Programmer
EPI Execute Programmer Immediate
EPP Eject Printer Paper
EPS Electrostatic Print and Smear
EPS Execute Program Sideways
EPT Erase Process Table
EPT Erase Punched Tape
ERI Execute Random Instruction
ERIC Eject Random Integrated Circuit
EROS Erase Read Only Storage "Sounds like an IBM
special!"
ESB Eject Selectric Ball "from IBM selectric
typewriter terminals"
ESL Exceed Speed of Light
ETI Execute This Instruction [for recursive programs"
ETM Emulate Turing Machine
EVC Execute Verbal Commands
EWD Execute Warp Drive
EXX A real instruction on the Zilog Z-80 -Zilog is
owned by EXX on"
FB Find Bugs
FCJ Feed Card and Jam
FDR Fill Disk Randomly
FFF Form Feed Forever
FLD FLing Disc
FLI Flash Lights Impressively
FM Forget Memory
FMP Finish My Program
FOPC [Set] False Out-of-paper Condition
FPC Feed Paper Continuously
FPT Fire Photon Torpedoes
FRG Fill with Random Garbage
FSM Fold, Spindle and Mutilate
FSRA Forms Skip & Run Away
GBB Go to Back of Bus
GCAR Get Correct Answer Regardless
GDP Grin Defiantly at Programmer
GDR Grab Degree and Run
GENT GENerate Thesis
GESE Generate Exciting Sound Effects
GEW{JO} Go to the End of the World {Jump Off}
GID Generate Input Device
GIE Generate Irreversible Error
GLC Generate Lewd Comment
GMC Generate Machine Check
GMCC Generate Machine Check and Cash
GND Guess at Next Digit
GOD Generate Output Device
GORS GO Real Slow
GRAB Generate Random Address & Branch
GREM Generate Random Error Message
GREP Global Ruin, Expiration and Purgation [UNIX]
GRMC Generate Rubber Machine Check
GS Get Strange [ randomly inverts bits being fed to the
instruction decoder"
GSB Gulp and Store Bytes
GSI Generate Spurious Interrupts
GSU Geometric Shift Up
HAH Halt And Hang
HCF Halt & Catch Fire
HCP Hide Central Processor [ makes virtual CPU's act like
virtual memories"
HCRS Hang in Critical Section
HDO Halt and Disable Operator
HDRW Halt and Display Random Word
HELP Type "No help available"
HF Hide a File
HGD Halt, Get Drunk
HHB Halt and Hang Bus
HIS Halt in Impossible State
HOO Hide Operator's Output
HRPR Hang up and Ruin Printer Ribbon
HUAL Halt Until After Lunch
IA Illogical And
IAI Inquire and ignore
IAND Illogical And
IBR Insert Bugs at Random
ICB Interrupt, crash and burn
ICM Immerse Central Memory
ICMD Initiate Core Melt-Down
ICSP Invert CRT Screen Picture
IDC Initiate Destruct Command
IDI Invoke Divine Intervention
IDPS Ignore Disk Protect Switch
IEOF Ignore End Of File
IF Invoke Force
IGI Increment Grade Immediately
IGIT Increment Grade Immediately Twice
II Inquire and Ignore
IIB Ignore Inquiry & Branch
IIC Insert Invisible Characters
IIL Irreversable Infinite Loop
IM Imagine Memory
IMPG IMPress Girlfriend
INCAM INCrement Arbitrary Memory location
INOP Indirect No-op
IO Illogical Or
IOI Ignore Operator's Instruction
IOP Interrupt processor, Order Pizza
IOR Illogical OR
IP Increment and Pray
IPS Incinerate Power Supply
IPS Increment Processor Status
IPT Ignite Paper Tape
IRB Invert Record & Branch
IRB Invert Record and Branch
IRC Insert Random Commands
IRE Insert Random Errors
IRPF Infinite Recursive Page Fault
ISC Ignore Supervisor Calls
ISC Insert Sarcastic Comments
ISI Ignore Silly Instructions
ISI Increment and Skip on Infinity
ISP Increment and Skip on Pi
ITML Initiate Termites into Macro Library
IU Ignore User
JAA Jump Almost Always
JFM Jump on Full Moon
JHRB Jump to H&R Block
JIL Jump In Lake
JM Jump Maybe
JMAT JuMp on Alternate Thursdays
JNL Jump when programmer is Not Looking
JOM Jump Over Moon
JRAN Jump RANdom [ not to be confused with IRAN - Idiots
random"
JRCF Jump Relative and Catch Fire
JRGA Jump Relative and Get Arrested
JRN Jump RaNdom
JRSR Jump to Random Subroutine
JT Jump if Tuesday
JTR Jump To Register
JTZ Jump to Twilight Zone
JUMP don't JUMP
JWN Jump When Necessary
KCE Kill Consultant on Error
KUD Kill User's Data
LAGW Load And Go Wrong
LAP Laugh At Program(mer)
LBTPS Let's Blow This Popsicle Stand (Context switch)
LCC Load & Clear Core
LCD Load and Clear Disk
LCK Lock Console Keyswitch
LEB Link Edit Backwards
LIA Load Ineffective Address
LMB Lose Message & Branch
LMO Load and Mug Operator
LMYB Logical MaYBe
LN Lose inode Number [UNIX]
LOSM Log Off System Manager
LP%PAS Line Printer - Print And Smear
LP%RDD Line Printer - Reverse Drum Direction
LP%TCR Line Printer - Tangle and Chew Ribbon
LPA Lead Programmer Astray
LRD Load Random Data
LSBL Lose Super BLock [UNIX only]
LSPSW Load and scrample PSW
LWM Load Write-only Memory
MAB Melt Address Bus
MAN Make Animal Noises
MAZ Multiply Answer by Zero
MBC Make Batch Confetti
MBH Memory Bank Hold-up
MBTD Mount Beatles on Tape Drive
MBTOL Move Bugs to Operator's Lunch
MC Move Continuous
MD Move Devious
MDB Move & Drop Bits
MDDHAF Make Disk Drive Hop Across Floor
MLP Multiply and Lose Precision
MLR Move & Loose Record
MLSB Memory Left Shift & Branch
MMLG Make Me Look Good
MNI Misread Next Instruction
MOP Modify Operator's Personality
MOU MOunt User [causes computer to screw you once again]
MOVC Move Computer
MPLP Make Pretty Light Pattern
MSGD Make Screen Go Dim
MSIP Make Sure Plugged In
MSR Melt Special Register
MST Mount Scotch Tape
MT%HRDV MagTape - High speed Rewind and Drop Vacuum
MTI Make Tape Invalid
MW Malfunction Whatever
MWC Move & Wrap Core
MWT Malfunction Without Telling
NEGP NEGate Programmer
NTGH Not Tonight, I've Got a Headache
OCF Open Circular File
OH OverHeat
OML Obey Murphy's Law
OPP Order Pizza for Programmer
OSI Overflow Stack Indefinitely
OTL Out To Lunch
PADZ Pack Alpha & Drop Zones
PAS Print And Smear
PAUD PAUse Dramatically
PAZ Pack Alpha Zone
PBC Print & Break Chain
PBD Print and Break Drum
PBM Pop Bubble Memory
PBPBPBP Place Backup in Plain Brown Paper Bag, Please " for
stealing code"
PBST Play Batch mode Star Trek
PCI Pleat Cards Immediate
PCR Print and Cut Ribbon
PD Punch Disk
PEHC Punch Extra Holes in Cards
PFE Print Floating Eye [Roguers look out!]
PFML Print Four Million Lines
PI Punch Invalid
PIBM Pretend to be an IBM
PIC Print Illegible Characters
PIC Punch Invalid Character
PIRI Print In Red Ink
PLSC Perform light show on console
PNRP Print Nasty Replies to Programmer
PO Punch Operator
PPA Print Paper Airplanes
PPL Perform Perpetual Loop
PPP Print Programmer's Picture
PPSW Pack program status word
PRS PRint and Smear
PSP Print and Shred Paper
PSP Push Stack Pointer
PSR Print and Shred Ribbon
QBB Query Bit Bucket
QWA Quit While Ahead

-tih
--
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo, Senior System Administrator, EUnet Norway Hosting
www.eunet.no T +47-22092958 M +47-93013940 F +47-22092901 FWD 484145
Bugs

My first was the SYM II, an improvement over the first kit computer.
The 6502 chip provided 256 controller ports instead of 8. ANyone else
out there still have a SYM?
Bugs

Jeff Wisnia

Bugs wrote:

My first was the SYM II, an improvement over the first kit computer.
The 6502 chip provided 256 controller ports instead of 8. ANyone else
out there still have a SYM?
Bugs

Since you asked....

I kept my SYM II "single board computer" until 2002 when I finally began
cleaning house and sold it amd it's paperwork on e-Bay for an
unbelievable (to me)price to a guy in Scandinavia.

I aquired it when the boss I was working for then sent me two a two day
cram course to "learn microprocessors". The SYM II was what the teaching
tool, each student got one, and when we "graduated" the instructor let
us keep our SYM IIs. (I had to buld my own power supply though; that
they didn't let us take away from the course.)

I had a lot of fun and learning experiences with that SYM II (So named
because it was sold by Symatek {sp?}, the then second source maker of
the 6502 microprocessor chip in used.) I suppose they did that as a way
of helping develop the market for their products.)

By the time I retired it and moved onto my first Apple II I'd "pimped it
out" with an auxillary memory board (IIRC think it was a whole big 4K of
additional static RAM.) and the Basic interpreter ROMs Symatek sold for it.

I bought and built a Heathkit CRT terminal to interface with the SYM so
I could learn to program in Basic.

My "printer" was a surplus IBM selectric typewriter which must have been
a printer in someone else's system because it had about 8 solenoids in
it pulling on the right things to let you make it print over wires. I
remember developing my own "ASCII to solenoid" translation table and
burning it into an EPROM, using just as a burner the SYM itself, a
socket and three 9 volt batteries in series.

The damn thing worked well enough so that for a year or so I used it
with a Basic program to punch out Medicaid claim forms for SWMBO's
fledgeling practice.

I remember poring over every issue of "Micro" magazine, a journal
devoted to 6502 hobby computing, which included the SYM II and the
slightly earlier and less sophisticated KIM single board computer. They
published pages of programs printed in hex you could use on those machines.

I sold my stack of Micro magazines on eBay about the same time as I sold
the SYM II, again at a price higher than I would have believed.

Geez, and to think that was close to state of the art in home computing
"only" 30 years ago. All I have left to remind me of it now are my
memories and my homemade EPROM eraser, just a UV closthes dryer
"germicide bulb" and a series wirewound resistor mounted inside a little
inverted cocoa tin with a doorbell transformer screwed to the top of it.

Now, if any of you guys know who'd want a bunch of Apple II stuff in my
basement I think I'm finally ready to break my emotional ties to, lemee
know. G

Thanks for the mammaries,

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

Gunner

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 11:00:08 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Now, if any of you guys know who'd want a bunch of Apple II stuff in my
basement I think I'm finally ready to break my emotional ties to, lemee
know. G

Thanks for the mammaries,

Jeff

Hummm...I wonder what the Commodore 64s the 128s and the Pet are
worth.
I know I have at least 2 of each..with those big big capacity 360k
drives, the printer interfaces and the game carts and a couple 300
baud plug in modems

Gunner

"Gunner, you are the same ridiculous liberal f--k you ever where."
Scipio
Jim McGill

'Captain' Kirk DeHaan wrote:
Bugs said the following on 1/5/2005 7:07 AM:

You're making me nostalgic. How about writing in hex? Now that was fun!
Bugs

How about entering code on a front panel keyboard in octal on an old
Heathkit 8 bit computer.

That was the normal way to reboot an IBM 1130 or 360. Most of us had the
reboot sequence memorized and could put it in faster through the front
panel switches than you could wake the card reader up and get the reboot
card through.

I'm glad to say I can no longer remember that sequence, though I still
know all the keyboard ASCII hex equivalents (I actually still use that
occasionally looking at hex dumps). For extended Unicode, though, I need
the book.

Jim

John Ings

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 10:11:45 -0600, Somhayne
wrote:

nope, but I have a KIM-1 laying in the pile somewhere I do still
fire up my CP/M box from time to time...

Ah yes! Been there, done that! S100 system. Had to solder together a
controller board for my 8" single sided floppy disk drive and make my
own video card. 64 characters on a line when my friends only had 32!
Then the big day when I saw for the very first time...

Those were the days!

Robert Nichols

In article 1104981486.5847dcb424c28bd4655d5ab3bf29c2a8@teran ews,
Thomas Kendrick wrote:
:The IBM 1620 was a biquinary machine as I recall. The one that I
:worked on did not have a disk. I had the machine code manual bought
:new from IBM, but do not have it any more.

Biquinary? I believe you're thinking about the IBM 650 -- vacuum tubes,
no discs, even RAM was an optional feature (it executed directly off its
drum, instructions were not stored sequentially -- every instruction was
a branch). One number that sticks in my mind is 48,300 BTU/hr (that
comma is not a decimal point), and that didn't include the power supply,
which was another cabinet the same size as the processor cabinet. It
was the one room on campus that needed air conditioning service in the
winter.

--
Bob Nichols AT comcast.net I am "rnichols42"

Rick

wrote:

Now, if any of you guys know who'd want a bunch of Apple II stuff in my
basement I think I'm finally ready to break my emotional ties to, lemee
know. G

Thanks for the mammaries,

Jeff

Hummm...I wonder what the Commodore 64s the 128s and the Pet are
worth.
I know I have at least 2 of each..with those big big capacity 360k
drives, the printer interfaces and the game carts and a couple 300
baud plug in modems

Gunner

I still have a C64. One of the best little computers-great for making a
modest PLC, easy to interface and program in machine language...

Cliff

A few posting to this thread may like this post .....

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...3048f814ba6b79

--
Cliff
Kathy

"Why" wrote in message

I still have 2 64's & a working 128 with all the above & the monitor &
a few printers , I think 1526's (new).

I'm pretty sure 1526 is the big disk drive.
I checked ebay last year and they were going for about $25.
Maybe in another 20 years......

Tom Dacon

The 1620 was a decimal machine. The internal data representation was
self-checking, six-bit, binary-coded decimal, with a four-bit numerical
field (1-2-4-8), a flag bit for field and sign designation, and a parity bit
(odd parity). It didn't have a fixed word length; I think the flag bit had
something to do with designating the length of an operand. Since it didn't
have registers, all operations were memory to memory.

Tom Dacon
Dacon Software Consulting

"Robert Nichols" wrote in
message ...
Thomas Kendrick wrote:
:The IBM 1620 was a biquinary machine as I recall. The one that I
:worked on did not have a disk. I had the machine code manual bought
:new from IBM, but do not have it any more.

Biquinary? I believe you're thinking about the IBM 650 -- vacuum tubes,
no discs, even RAM was an optional feature (it executed directly off its
drum, instructions were not stored sequentially -- every instruction was
a branch). One number that sticks in my mind is 48,300 BTU/hr (that
comma is not a decimal point), and that didn't include the power supply,
which was another cabinet the same size as the processor cabinet. It
was the one room on campus that needed air conditioning service in the
winter.

--
Bob Nichols AT comcast.net I am "rnichols42"

Matt Stawicki

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 18:40:39 GMT, Why wrote:

Hummm...I wonder what the Commodore 64s the 128s and the Pet are
worth.
I know I have at least 2 of each..with those big big capacity 360k
drives, the printer interfaces and the game carts and a couple 300
baud plug in modems

Gunner

"Gunner, you are the same ridiculous liberal f--k you ever where."
Scipio

I still have 2 64's & a working 128 with all the above & the monitor &
a few printers , I think 1526's (new).

Almost bought one of those. But then a couple years later Tandy came
out with the Tandy 100, followed shortly by the Tandy 200. I grabbed
one of the 200's with the fold up monitor.=20

Still have it, along with the cassette deck to load/store programs.
Might have to dig it out and see if it still works.

Matt

Dave Martindale

John Ings writes:

I go back further than that. My first computer was a homebrew that
used an 8008, and yes, bootstraps were loaded via front panel
switches. ROM? What's that?

On the PDP-11/45 where I first used Unix, the ROM was a board with a
whole lot of diodes soldered to it. I think there were 512, for 32
words of 16 bits. As received from the factory, the ROM was all zeros.
You clipped out diodes to get one bits in whatever position you needed
them

We got bootloaders for hard disk, tape, and floppy in that 32 words.

But we used the machine for a year or two without the ROM. It wasn't
that bad. You just loaded the disk controller address into the
switches, then deposited a length and a read command into the disk
controller registers, and your boot block was magically at location zero
in memory.

(This only worked because the 11/45 bus sequencer continued running
when the CPU was halted. On other PDP-11s you had to put the CPU into
an infinite loop to make DMA transfers happen).

Dave
william_b_noble

aaah, my first machine at home was a PDP8-S with 1K of 13 bit core memory -
it was non-volatile, but certainly not ROM - and it had front panel switches
for loading a bootstrap program

"Dave Martindale" wrote in message
John Ings writes:

[...]

Jim Stewart

william_b_noble wrote:
aaah, my first machine at home was a PDP8-S with 1K of 13 bit core memory -
it was non-volatile, but certainly not ROM - and it had front panel switches
for loading a bootstrap program

I still have a working PDP 8/L in the garage.

John Ings writes:

[...]

william_b_noble

the 8L was a "real" machine, the 8S was a 12 bit plus parity SERIAL !!!
machine - e.g. the actual data path was one bit wide. there were no ICs,
all discretes, and a really bizarre schematic, totally unique logic
symbols -
"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
william_b_noble wrote:
aaah, my first machine at home was a PDP8-S with 1K of 13 bit core

memory -
it was non-volatile, but certainly not ROM - and it had front panel

switches
for loading a bootstrap program

I still have a working PDP 8/L in the garage.

"Dave Martindale" wrote in message

william_b_noble

if you find yourself with a desparate urge for some ancient software, and
maybe even some hardware, there's some listed on my web site that I'd love
to pass on - see www.wbnoble.com

Some years ago I was in a thrift store and there were the things of my
youth, mostly for $3. I remember carefully making tables comparing
RAM, ROM, CPU, MHz, and a dozen other things to decide which one I
wanted to plunk down my couple hundred bucks to buy. Standing there
in the thrift store I had an epiphany - s***, I can have them all.

Got most of the machines of that era in good working order for a song
in pretty short order. Now I'm on the look out for the odd little
accessories. I even have a PC-Jr with the optional 1Mb expansion
memory.

--
W§ mostly in m.s - http://members.1stconnect.com/anozira