Pop Rivet

Default Is this a code violation?

Hi,

I'll try to keep it brief. In my workshop, I have a problem
with managing my table saw and vacuum. If I plug them into
the same ckt (120V 30A breaker), they will run, as long as
there is no voltage dip or heavy load situations. That
means the occasional and always at the worst of time breaker
popping open.
As a remedy I simply switched the vacuum to another
line - when I wired the shop I put two ckts wherever any
machinery might be plugged in. That works great, but(t) ...
It means the hassle of turning on the vacuum, and then the
table saw, and opposite to shut down. A pain unless I want
to let the vacwm run nonstop.

Setup:
My entire shop is switched. EVERY ckt in the shop is
manually turned off/on from switches at the main entrance
from the house. They're simple, SPST properly rated
switches. That way I am confident that NOTHING in the shop
was left running when I leave it. All equipment outlets are
dead that way.

Everything is wired to code, and passed inspection easily.
Now, before I ruin my rep with the zoning board (small,
rural town), I thought I'd ask this here g:

Would I be in violation of any NEC by putting both the vacwm
AND the power saw switching onto a DPST switch, so that
flipping the switch turned them BOTH on and off at the same
time? I'd color code the switch with both colors of my
receptacles (all ckts are color coded for easy ID/management
of current draw).
Intuitively I feel it's against code, but ... darned if I
can find anything that would forbid it. Can you guys?

If it turns out it is against code, my next logical step
would be a DPDT relay b ut they're expensive. So, any
othger ideas?

Obviously I don't want to go thru the cost of the inspection
again if I can avoid it; but I don't want to do anything
that's not to code. Oh, and everything's in thin-wall
conduit.

Regards,

Pop

--

---
What kind of animals kills its own?

Richard J Kinch

Pop Rivet writes:

If it turns out it is against code, my next logical step
would be a DPDT relay b ut they're expensive. So, any
othger ideas?

They're not expensive. You can get plug-in devices to do what you want.

As long as it plugs in, it's not part of the *building*, and you have no
*building* code worries.
Joseph Meehan

Pop Rivet wrote:
[...]

I suggest a low voltage relay and switches at each station for the vac.
It is not expensive and it is convenient.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Greg

If the only thing you have that requires the dust collector to run is the saw,
then go for the DPST sw. I don't see a violation either.
You might want to write a warning on the box so you don't forget there are 2
circuits in the box but it is not a code issue.
There are some solutions involving relays for folks who run several dusty
machines and want the DC running when any of them are on.
This is a regular topic over on rec.woodworking
xrongor

"Pop Rivet" wrote in message
Hi,

I'll try to keep it brief. In my workshop, I have a problem
with managing my table saw and vacuum. If I plug them into
the same ckt (120V 30A breaker), they will run, as long as
there is no voltage dip or heavy load situations. That
means the occasional and always at the worst of time breaker
popping open.
As a remedy I simply switched the vacuum to another
line - when I wired the shop I put two ckts wherever any
machinery might be plugged in. That works great, but(t) ...
It means the hassle of turning on the vacuum, and then the
table saw, and opposite to shut down. A pain unless I want
to let the vacwm run nonstop.

you 'could' implement a wireless setup putting a switch for the vaccum power
at each machine with the receiver on the vaccum outlet. the more machines
you have the more sense this would make. in any case it doesnt require any
rewiring, just money.

not that this is the exact one you want to use, but its the first yahoo
search result as an example.
http://www.lightningswitch.com/More.htm

randy

DT

Switching on the dust collector is a very common issue with woodworkers. All
you need is a radio controlled relay for the vacuum. It is called a "Long
Ranger" and is intended specifically for this purpose. Here is one place that
sells them, any good woodworking store carries them (Rockler, Woodcraft, etc)

http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant...egory_Code=LRS

Dennis