Jim McGill

'Captain' Kirk DeHaan wrote:
Bugs said the following on 1/5/2005 7:07 AM:

You're making me nostalgic. How about writing in hex? Now that was fun!
Bugs

How about entering code on a front panel keyboard in octal on an old
Heathkit 8 bit computer.

That was the normal way to reboot an IBM 1130 or 360. Most of us had the
reboot sequence memorized and could put it in faster through the front
panel switches than you could wake the card reader up and get the reboot
card through.

I'm glad to say I can no longer remember that sequence, though I still
know all the keyboard ASCII hex equivalents (I actually still use that
occasionally looking at hex dumps). For extended Unicode, though, I need
the book.

Jim