Emmo

Default making dog tags

I am marking a bunch of trees with some aluminum "dog tags" with three or
four lines of words (all the same) and a unique number.

I have been stamping these out, words and numbers with a Harbor Freight 1/4"
stamp set and a ball pein hammer. Now the problem is how to mass produce
200 of these blanks -- I can't do the verbiage all letter by letter,
(although I will still be stamping in the unique number).

How can I make a stamp with whole words or sentences? Can I use a 2-ton
arbor press and some kind of dye? I would need a plate about the size of a
business card, or maybe a little bigger. Where would I even go to find
something like this? How are dog tags done?

Can I etch or anodize the info onto surface of these tags instead of
stamping? Even engraving would be faster than the whack, whack, whack of
my hammer...

__
"All it took was all I had..."

Jim Stewart

Emmo wrote:
I am marking a bunch of trees with some aluminum "dog tags" with three or
four lines of words (all the same) and a unique number.

I have been stamping these out, words and numbers with a Harbor Freight 1/4"
stamp set and a ball pein hammer. Now the problem is how to mass produce
200 of these blanks -- I can't do the verbiage all letter by letter,
(although I will still be stamping in the unique number).

How can I make a stamp with whole words or sentences? Can I use a 2-ton
arbor press and some kind of dye? I would need a plate about the size of a
business card, or maybe a little bigger. Where would I even go to find
something like this? How are dog tags done?

Can I etch or anodize the info onto surface of these tags instead of
stamping? Even engraving would be faster than the whack, whack, whack of
my hammer...

Nice new equipment:

http://www.datatechsys.net/C380.htm

Nice cheap equipment:

Steve Knight

You make a handle to hold the lettering. you can only do one line at a time
though. Just mill a slot in some steel stock so the numbers/letters fit in
sideways. then cut it to width put a couple of pieces on the sides and a
setscrew in one side to hold the letters/numbers tight. then you can stamp a
whole row at once. you can buy stamp holders for about 60.00 too. the letters
and numbers for them get spendy.
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/web_...toolholder.jpg
I have several for 2 numbers and for dates and such. I have been getting the
letters and numbers from msc but at 2.00 each they do add up.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Tim Auton

Steve Knight wrote:

You make a handle to hold the lettering. you can only do one line at a time
though. Just mill a slot in some steel stock so the numbers/letters fit in
sideways. then cut it to width put a couple of pieces on the sides and a
setscrew in one side to hold the letters/numbers tight.

Why only one line? Well, other than the cost of the letters ($12.99
per set - I hope the text is light on "e"s!). Surely one could make a
holder for a few lines.

Tim
--
Google is not the only search engine.
Rileyesi

I am marking a bunch of trees with some aluminum "dog tags" with three or
four lines of words (all the same) and a unique number.

Another solution would be to print the labels using a laser printer and special
label paper. Look at www.rippedsheets.com (no, it's not a dirty site! The
ripped sheets phrase is the act of cutting label cut outs onto a 8-1/2 x 11
sheet of label paper). I use one of their products to make nameplate on our
equipment that is left outdoors. They have a label that was designed to be put
on 55 gallon drums of waste material left out in the weather. I don't have the
specific product number with me now, but if you can't find it after contacting
them, let me know and I will look up the number.

If this seems OK to you, then all you have to do is print up your labels with
incremental numbers and then apply the stickers to your dog tags and forget
about stamping them.

Hope this helps.

Martin H. Eastburn

Emmo wrote:

[...]

http://www.mscdirect.com/PDF.process?pdf=2610&Keyword=Y
This is a pdf on MSC's catalog - it is PRYOR - one does a line of type - lock it in a handle
and either hammer or Press.

Dog tags are engraved with a high speed semi-pointed D shaped carbide or HSS cutter - almost CNC like.
Mechanical cnc if you will.

Think of the tokens one punches at parks or such - These are made in Sheffield England.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
Gary Coffman

Steve Knight wrote:

You make a handle to hold the lettering. you can only do one line at a time
though. Just mill a slot in some steel stock so the numbers/letters fit in
sideways. then cut it to width put a couple of pieces on the sides and a
setscrew in one side to hold the letters/numbers tight.

Why only one line? Well, other than the cost of the letters ($12.99
per set - I hope the text is light on "e"s!). Surely one could make a
holder for a few lines.

The more letters, the more force required for the tool to make an impression
of a given depth. Multiple lines make distributing the force equally more critical.
If a single line tool is cocked slightly when struck, the impression will be slightly
deeper at the top or bottom of each letter, but since the distance isn't great,
the error isn't large. But with multiple lines, the distance from top to bottom
is much greater, and any errors in distributing the force evenly will be much
more obvious.

Gary
Ken Sterling

Emmo wrote:

[...]

Don't know about now, but back in the old days G, the dogtags were
made on a typewriter type of machine where the tag was placed in a
holder, and as each letter was "typed" the character was stamped into
the metal (I ran one of these for a few days in boot camp only because
I was able to type).
Ken.

robobass

Do these tags have to be in metal? I used to make ID tags for my cat
by simply printing the text out on plain paper, embedding the paper in
clear resin, cutting out the tag with a band saw, and finishing the
edges. At the time I ran a shop that concentrated on transparent resin
casting, but I used normal "two-ton epoxy" for this purpose. The tags
were quite permanent, and one could make up a large number of
different ones at one time for almost nothing using this method. But,
for decent visual quality, you would need access to either a strong
vacuum pump with bell jar, or a small pressure vessel.

Method: 1. You set up a tray of polished metal or plexi. You can use
plasticine clay for the walls. 2. Spritz with some "mold release" or
whatever dry silicone spray is handy. 3. Mix up the epoxy. Vacuum the
mix if possible. 4. Spread onto the back of the paper and lay it onto
the tray without leaving bubbles. If you screw up, repeat from step 2.
No harm done, almost no money lost. 5. If this went quickly and the
pot is still fresh, pour the rest over the top of the paper. If not,
quickly mix and vacuum a new pot. Make sure the tray is level. Put it
in a pressure vessel if you have one. 6. Wait for it to cure. Add
gentle heat if you've got it.

This method will yield extremely durable labels, but I must concede
several shortcomings: 1. If you do not have an effective vacuum pump
or pressure vessel small air bubbles will form during cure. 2. If you
use standard hardware store "two ton epoxy" it will yellow over time.
If you want resin that will stay clear, research "casting resins". 3.
It is impossible to keep the paper evenly spaced between the top and
bottom layers of resin. The best plan is to make several trials and
throw away the worst results. This is a very cheap process afterall.
Hope this was useful. Contact me if you have any questions.

Robobass

"Emmo" wrote in message ...
[...]

Emmo

Thanx to all responders. Since I didn't even know that the right word was
embossing, I really needed all the help.

I especially appreciate the wide range of answers, from 'here is a machine
on ebay' to 'here's how to do it in your shop' to 'do it differently'.

At this point, I think I am going to screen print the static info onto a 2"
x 5" tag, leaving open areas for the numbers, my model being a nameplate on
a motor or pump. A big reason for this is that this allows me to dress up
the tag with a logo, red ink, and so on.

I'm now off to find the basic kit for screen printing... How much ink will
I need to cover 2000 sq in. I wonder ?

Thanx again

Bruce L. Bergman

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 00:54:11 GMT, "Emmo" wrote:

Thanx to all responders. Since I didn't even know that the right word was
embossing, I really needed all the help.

I especially appreciate the wide range of answers, from 'here is a machine
on ebay' to 'here's how to do it in your shop' to 'do it differently'.

If you want brass nametags without stamping them out by hand, you
can get the basic information machine engraved on the blank tags.
Hermes makes the machines primarily for plastic engraving (you see
them all the time as License Plate Rims: "Mom's Final Sco Boys 2,
Girls 1") but they do brass with the right engraving cutters.

They have computerized machines where you can load the text file in
once, tell it how many copies you want made (it decrements the serial
number count automatically) and just keep popping in blank brass
plates as it completes them. Will even do filigree around the
borders, custom logos, or double-strike the letters (drop-shadow or
balloon effects) depending on how good the programmer is.

If you want them curved, bend them to shape over a buck AFTER
engraving - and pad the front surface well to avoid scratches or
marring the grooves. If you want the engraving to really stand out on
the brass, you take some silkscreen ink (or thick paint) and wipe it
into the grooves.

For Onesies Twosies jobs, I just go see our local engraving shop in
Thousand Oaks and have Max Herstein make what I need - I think he has
a CNC machine too, but the one-off jobs are easier to do on a manual
machine... Perfect shop for a retiree to run.

At this point, I think I am going to screen print the static info onto a 2"
x 5" tag, leaving open areas for the numbers, my model being a nameplate on
a motor or pump. A big reason for this is that this allows me to dress up
the tag with a logo, red ink, and so on.

I'm now off to find the basic kit for screen printing... How much ink will
I need to cover 2000 sq in. I wonder ?

Doesn't much matter how much it will take, the smallest cans you can
buy of commercial printing inks is usually one pound. That should
easily do 20,000 square inches, even if you goof up a lot.

(I spent a portion of my misbegotten youth in Print Shop, including
setting cold and hot type and photo-compositing. There's logic behind
the phrase "Mind your p's and q's..." Proofreading galleys of set
type [upside down and backwards] is great training for reading printed
matter upside down across the table.) ;-)

When you are done for the day, be sure to put the waxed paper back
on the top of the ink in the can, to keep it from skinning over
between uses.

-- Bruce --
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Martin H. Eastburn

Ken Sterling wrote:

Emmo wrote:

[...]

You mean human dog tag. Those are pressed. Yes I know.

Canine dog tags today are typically engraved.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

NRA LOH, NRA Life
Martin H. Eastburn

Emmo wrote:

Thanx to all responders. Since I didn't even know that the right word was
embossing, I really needed all the help.

I especially appreciate the wide range of answers, from 'here is a machine
on ebay' to 'here's how to do it in your shop' to 'do it differently'.

At this point, I think I am going to screen print the static info onto a 2"
x 5" tag, leaving open areas for the numbers, my model being a nameplate on
a motor or pump. A big reason for this is that this allows me to dress up
the tag with a logo, red ink, and so on.

I'm now off to find the basic kit for screen printing... How much ink will
I need to cover 2000 sq in. I wonder ?

Thanx again

http://www.silkscreenbiz.com/index.htm

Never have done any bus with this person - have no idea. Use as a resource
for concepts.

As for Ink - less than a quart. Buy A quart of your color at the local
art supply store - maybe the screens....

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Rex B

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 23:08:25 GMT, "Emmo" wrote:

||I am marking a bunch of trees with some aluminum "dog tags" with three or
||four lines of words (all the same) and a unique number.
||I have been stamping these out, words and numbers with a Harbor Freight 1/4"
||stamp set and a ball pein hammer. Now the problem is how to mass produce
||200 of these blanks -- I can't do the verbiage all letter by letter,
||(although I will still be stamping in the unique number).
||How can I make a stamp with whole words or sentences? Can I use a 2-ton
||arbor press and some kind of dye? I would need a plate about the size of a
||business card, or maybe a little bigger. Where would I even go to find
||something like this? How are dog tags done?
||Can I etch or anodize the info onto surface of these tags instead of
||stamping? Even engraving would be faster than the whack, whack, whack of
||my hammer...

We have an old Graphotype Addressograph machine stored in the warehouse which
does exactly that. Up tp 4 lines of type pressed into a steel plate, basically a
dogtag.
If you are anywhere near Fort Worth TX, contact me

Rex Burkheimer
rex at txol dot net
Texas Parts Guy
Leo Lichtman

"Don Foreman" wrote: How about having them screen-printed?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Or screen printing with a resist, and then etching.

Leo Lichtman

"robobass" wrote: .(clip) 3. Mix up the epoxy. Vacuum the mix if
possible.(clip) mix and vacuum a new pot. Make sure the tray is level. Put
it in a pressure vessel if you have one(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have heard of using vacuum to pull bubbles out of a resin mix before it
cures, but the idea of using pressure is new to me. Is the purpose of
pressure to make the residual bubbles smaller while the resin cures? Why
didn't I think of that?

Leo Lichtman

Ken Sterling wrote: Don't know about now, but back in the old days G, the
dogtags were made on a typewriter type of machine where the tag was placed
in a
holder, and as each letter was "typed" the character was stamped into the
metal (I ran one of these for a few days in boot camp only because I was
able to type).
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'll carry you back even further than that! Prior to WWII, the
Addressograph company had a machine that stamped out metal plates that were
used for addressing mail. During the "BIG" war, this company made a fortune
selling the same machine to the government for making dog tags. Those
machines are probably all scrapped by now, except for a few that may be in
museums, but, if by chance you could find one, you would be able to make the
tags as fast as you can type--provided you could also find the blanks.

Rex B

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 21:02:15 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"

||Ken Sterling wrote: Don't know about now, but back in the old days G, the
||dogtags were made on a typewriter type of machine where the tag was placed
||in a
|| holder, and as each letter was "typed" the character was stamped into the
||metal (I ran one of these for a few days in boot camp only because I was
||able to type).
||^^^^^^^^^^^^^
||I'll carry you back even further than that! Prior to WWII, the
||Addressograph company had a machine that stamped out metal plates that were
||used for addressing mail. During the "BIG" war, this company made a fortune
||selling the same machine to the government for making dog tags. Those
||machines are probably all scrapped by now, except for a few that may be in
||museums, but, if by chance you could find one, you would be able to make the
||tags as fast as you can type--provided you could also find the blanks.

We haveone of those stored in the back of this uilding.
It's probably for sale, probably pretty cheap.
Last I looked it had some blank plates with it.
Fort Worth TX

Texas Parts Guy

James Waldby

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"robobass" wrote: .(clip) 3. Mix up the epoxy. Vacuum the mix if
possible.(clip) mix and vacuum a new pot. Make sure the tray is level. Put
it in a pressure vessel if you have one(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have heard of using vacuum to pull bubbles out of a resin mix before it
cures, but the idea of using pressure is new to me. Is the purpose of
pressure to make the residual bubbles smaller while the resin cures?

It makes bubbles smaller (or disappears them) but I think the main
intent is to more-completely fill the mold. Note, vacuum bagging
(for fiberglass) is a way of applying atmospheric pressure to a
molding, to prevent voids and holes and tighten the structure.

Why didn't I think of that?

Probably for the usual reasons.

-jiw
Bob Engelhardt

James Waldby wrote: [on using pressure during resin casting] ... I think
the main
intent is to more-completely fill the mold. ...

If the mold is completely within the pressure vessel the pressure will
have no effect on filling the mold.
Ken Sterling

[...]

Probably the same machine....
Ken.

James Waldby

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
James Waldby wrote: [on using pressure during resin casting] ... I think
the main intent is to more-completely fill the mold. ...

If the mold is completely within the pressure vessel the pressure will
have no effect on filling the mold.

True - or mostly true, anyway. I was thinking of a pressure vessel of
my cousin's design that contains a bladder inside it to push on a form,
and of vacuum bagging, which uses atmospheric pressure (but no vessel)
to press things together. I think you are right that the usual pressure
vessels for casting are just for suppressing bubbles.
-jiw
robobass

I will go into detail about pressure vessels. They are also known as
"paint pressure pots. The idea is to put the entire mold into the
vessel and keep it at 60 psi or higher while the resin cures. This
will squeeze out any bubbles that were introduced during mixing, as
well as prevent ones that form from any water that the resin has
absorbed from the atmosphere. This moisture is the bane of resin
casters, especially those who use urethanes. It makes them foam.
People who get into the high end have heaters on the tanks, and I had
timers on the heaters to gradually ramp down the heat, and small fans
inside the tanks to keep the heating even.
1.
Bob Engelhardt wrote in message ...
James Waldby wrote: [on using pressure during resin casting] ... I think
the main
intent is to more-completely fill the mold. ...

If the mold is completely within the pressure vessel the pressure will
have no effect on filling the mold.

Not true. If the mold was poured at atmospheric pressure, the void
will shrink as the pressure increases. If there is enough resin in the
"sprue" to fill the void, then the part still has a chance. Of course
a good mold maker makes molds that fill thoroughly every time.

Robobass

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Rex B, Hope wrote:
How much? Im trying to do the same thing.

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...gs-362727-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, March 14, 2021 at 12:18:07 AM UTC-5, Hope wrote:
replying to Rex B, Hope wrote:
How much? Im trying to do the same thing.

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...gs-362727-.htm

check out table top cnc macines..

ANNOY Tools Store