Bruce L. Bergman

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 00:54:11 GMT, "Emmo" wrote:

Thanx to all responders. Since I didn't even know that the right word was
embossing, I really needed all the help.

I especially appreciate the wide range of answers, from 'here is a machine
on ebay' to 'here's how to do it in your shop' to 'do it differently'.

If you want brass nametags without stamping them out by hand, you
can get the basic information machine engraved on the blank tags.
Hermes makes the machines primarily for plastic engraving (you see
them all the time as License Plate Rims: "Mom's Final Sco Boys 2,
Girls 1") but they do brass with the right engraving cutters.

They have computerized machines where you can load the text file in
once, tell it how many copies you want made (it decrements the serial
number count automatically) and just keep popping in blank brass
plates as it completes them. Will even do filigree around the
borders, custom logos, or double-strike the letters (drop-shadow or
balloon effects) depending on how good the programmer is.

If you want them curved, bend them to shape over a buck AFTER
engraving - and pad the front surface well to avoid scratches or
marring the grooves. If you want the engraving to really stand out on
the brass, you take some silkscreen ink (or thick paint) and wipe it
into the grooves.

For Onesies Twosies jobs, I just go see our local engraving shop in
Thousand Oaks and have Max Herstein make what I need - I think he has
a CNC machine too, but the one-off jobs are easier to do on a manual
machine... Perfect shop for a retiree to run.

At this point, I think I am going to screen print the static info onto a 2"
x 5" tag, leaving open areas for the numbers, my model being a nameplate on
a motor or pump. A big reason for this is that this allows me to dress up
the tag with a logo, red ink, and so on.

I'm now off to find the basic kit for screen printing... How much ink will
I need to cover 2000 sq in. I wonder ?

Doesn't much matter how much it will take, the smallest cans you can
buy of commercial printing inks is usually one pound. That should
easily do 20,000 square inches, even if you goof up a lot.

(I spent a portion of my misbegotten youth in Print Shop, including
setting cold and hot type and photo-compositing. There's logic behind
the phrase "Mind your p's and q's..." Proofreading galleys of set
type [upside down and backwards] is great training for reading printed
matter upside down across the table.) ;-)

When you are done for the day, be sure to put the waxed paper back
on the top of the ink in the can, to keep it from skinning over
between uses.

-- Bruce --
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545