Steve Goodin

Default Making wood filler

Anyone have suggestions for making my own wood filler?
I am making white oak furniture and have a few small gaps and nicks I will
need to fill. No store bought products seem to be working very well.
A woodworker friend suggested sanding some white oak and mixing the dust
with 2# Shellac to make a paste. Another friend claims that will be too
shiny and I should mix it with something else.
Any of you fine woodworkers have any thoughts?
Thanks,
Steve

EvoDawg

Steve Goodin wrote:

Anyone have suggestions for making my own wood filler?
I am making white oak furniture and have a few small gaps and nicks I will
need to fill. No store bought products seem to be working very well.
A woodworker friend suggested sanding some white oak and mixing the dust
with 2# Shellac to make a paste. Another friend claims that will be too
shiny and I should mix it with something else.
Any of you fine woodworkers have any thoughts?
Thanks,
Steve

Mix glue and the sawdust from the project your gluing. works great! But you
may have a hard time getting it to take stain.

Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Rob Stokes

Go with the shellac and sawdust. Mix it fairly thin and let it set up before
you sand it off and decide if you need another application. Sanding prior to
finishing will remove the shellac and "expose" the sawdust allowing it to
take a finish. It will be darker than the surrounding wood but should "tone"
nicely.

Good luck
Rob

--

Remove CC for email and please visit our web site:
http://www.robswoodworking.com

"Steve Goodin" wrote in message
Anyone have suggestions for making my own wood filler?
I am making white oak furniture and have a few small gaps and nicks I will
need to fill. No store bought products seem to be working very well.
A woodworker friend suggested sanding some white oak and mixing the dust
with 2# Shellac to make a paste. Another friend claims that will be too
shiny and I should mix it with something else.
Any of you fine woodworkers have any thoughts?
Thanks,
Steve

Eddie Munster

It's white oak, so it will probably be painted. No worries.

John

EvoDawg wrote:

But you
may have a hard time getting it to take stain.

Rich

Mike Hide

shellac probably will be too shiny. I would try colored wax fillers. The wax
is hard and is mineral based [ozerkite ? spelling?]
so finishes will take over it. Available at most finishing supply houses in
a myriad of colors. fill the voids and rub out with oooosteel wool with
mineral spirits if necessary.
--
mike hide

"Steve Goodin" wrote in message
Anyone have suggestions for making my own wood filler?
I am making white oak furniture and have a few small gaps and nicks I will
need to fill. No store bought products seem to be working very well.
A woodworker friend suggested sanding some white oak and mixing the dust
with 2# Shellac to make a paste. Another friend claims that will be too
shiny and I should mix it with something else.
Any of you fine woodworkers have any thoughts?
Thanks,
Steve

Jim Wilson

Rob Stokes wrote...
Go with the shellac and sawdust. Mix it fairly thin and let it set up before
you sand it off and decide if you need another application. Sanding prior to
finishing will remove the shellac and "expose" the sawdust allowing it to
take a finish. It will be darker than the surrounding wood but should "tone"
nicely.

I have added corn starch to counter the darkening effect. Sand a couple
test patches to get the mix right, but it's often close to equal parts
with the wood dust. Bandsaw dust works great.

Jim
Howard Ruttan

"EvoDawg" wrote...
Steve Goodin wrote:
Anyone have suggestions for making my own wood filler?
I am making white oak furniture and have a few small gaps and nicks I

will
need to fill. No store bought products seem to be working very well.
A woodworker friend suggested sanding some white oak and mixing the dust
with 2# Shellac to make a paste. Another friend claims that will be too
shiny and I should mix it with something else.

Mix glue and the sawdust from the project your gluing. works great! But

you
may have a hard time getting it to take stain.

Use hide glue.

--

Cheers,
Howard

Working wood in New Jersey -
Visit me in the woodshop -
www.inthewoodshop.org

David Babcock

I have taken sawdust from various woods and mixed it into a plain
plasticwood, but only to fill very small nicks and imperfections.

Dave

"Steve Goodin" wrote in message
Anyone have suggestions for making my own wood filler?
I am making white oak furniture and have a few small gaps and nicks I will
need to fill. No store bought products seem to be working very well.
A woodworker friend suggested sanding some white oak and mixing the dust
with 2# Shellac to make a paste. Another friend claims that will be too
shiny and I should mix it with something else.
Any of you fine woodworkers have any thoughts?
Thanks,
Steve

Problems with Paint Adhesion on Old Wood Phil Young UK diy 6 July 27th 04 01:30 PM
wood colour on dado wallpaper Glenn UK diy 2 March 19th 04 01:31 AM
Making Trim? Bob S. Woodworking 0 September 5th 03 10:05 PM
Wood - why so expensive? Andy Jeffries UK diy 5 August 8th 03 01:21 PM
wood use query - wood movement HarryM Woodworking 1 July 10th 03 03:38 PM