Ken Sterling

Emmo wrote:

I am marking a bunch of trees with some aluminum "dog tags" with three or
four lines of words (all the same) and a unique number.

I have been stamping these out, words and numbers with a Harbor Freight 1/4"
stamp set and a ball pein hammer. Now the problem is how to mass produce
200 of these blanks -- I can't do the verbiage all letter by letter,
(although I will still be stamping in the unique number).

How can I make a stamp with whole words or sentences? Can I use a 2-ton
arbor press and some kind of dye? I would need a plate about the size of a
business card, or maybe a little bigger. Where would I even go to find
something like this? How are dog tags done?

Can I etch or anodize the info onto surface of these tags instead of
stamping? Even engraving would be faster than the whack, whack, whack of
my hammer...

__
"All it took was all I had..."

http://www.mscdirect.com/PDF.process?pdf=2610&Keyword=Y
This is a pdf on MSC's catalog - it is PRYOR - one does a line of type - lock it in a handle
and either hammer or Press.

Dog tags are engraved with a high speed semi-pointed D shaped carbide or HSS cutter - almost CNC like.
Mechanical cnc if you will.

Think of the tokens one punches at parks or such - These are made in Sheffield England.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

Don't know about now, but back in the old days G, the dogtags were
made on a typewriter type of machine where the tag was placed in a
holder, and as each letter was "typed" the character was stamped into
the metal (I ran one of these for a few days in boot camp only because
I was able to type).
Ken.