Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Atlas craftsman model101 27430

I was given a craftsman 101 27430 12 in. lathe with quick change gears in
excellent shape and runs great,been learning to use the lathe.Appreciate all
the youtube videos.As I was cutting some threads the gears started jumping on
the Quadrant so I pulled it apart and noticed a crack on the Quadrant.Been
trying to find a new or used quadrant on ebay an have been unsuccessful would
appreciate any help as to where I might look.

--
for full context, visit http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...30-640752-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/26/2017 10:18 AM, Tony Robles wrote:
I was given a craftsman 101 27430 12 in. lathe with quick change gears in
excellent shape and runs great,been learning to use the
lathe.Appreciate all
the youtube videos.As I was cutting some threads the gears started
jumping on
the Quadrant so I pulled it apart and noticed a crack on the
Quadrant.Been
trying to find a new or used quadrant on ebay an have been
unsuccessful would
appreciate any help as to where I might look.

Â* If it was mine I'd probably weld up the crack ... but you might not
have the equipment needed . Got any trade schools in your area that
teach welding ? Could be a class project and if they mess it up ... well
you already have one you can't use so you're really no worse off .

Â* --

Â* Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tony Robles"
wrote in message ...
I was given a craftsman 101 27430 12 in. lathe with quick change
gears in
excellent shape and runs great,been learning to use the
lathe.Appreciate all
the youtube videos.As I was cutting some threads the gears started
jumping on
the Quadrant so I pulled it apart and noticed a crack on the
Quadrant.Been
trying to find a new or used quadrant on ebay an have been
unsuccessful would
appreciate any help as to where I might look.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/cra...57_160202.html
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, August 26, 2017 at 11:48:00 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:

Â* If it was mine I'd probably weld up the crack ... but you might not
have the equipment needed . Got any trade schools in your area that
teach welding ? Could be a class project and if they mess it up ... well
you already have one you can't use so you're really no worse off .

Â* --

Â* Snag

You might also say where you are located. There might be some soul on RCM that is close enough to you that they could help. Another option is to make one. If I recall correctly you could either hog one out of a piece of plate or make a weldment.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Saturday, August 26, 2017 at 11:48:00 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:

If it was mine I'd probably weld up the crack ... but you might not
have the equipment needed . Got any trade schools in your area that
teach welding ? Could be a class project and if they mess it up ...
well
you already have one you can't use so you're really no worse off .

--

Snag

You might also say where you are located. There might be some soul on
RCM that is close enough to you that they could help. Another option
is to make one. If I recall correctly you could either hog one out of
a piece of plate or make a weldment.

Dan

=============

The broken part will be very helpful to make and align a fixture to
hold the blank.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/26/2017 12:21 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/cra...57_160202.html
-jsw

$295 - yikes! Definitely need to consider repair. Welding, of course,
but brazing would likely be enough. Compared to $295 for a new one,
taking it to a professional would be cheap.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 26 Aug 2017 10:48:08 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 8/26/2017 10:18 AM, Tony Robles wrote:
I was given a craftsman 101 27430 12 in. lathe with quick change gears in
excellent shape and runs great,been learning to use the
lathe.Appreciate all
the youtube videos.As I was cutting some threads the gears started
jumping on
the Quadrant so I pulled it apart and noticed a crack on the
Quadrant.Been
trying to find a new or used quadrant on ebay an have been
unsuccessful would
appreciate any help as to where I might look.

* If it was mine I'd probably weld up the crack ... but you might not
have the equipment needed . Got any trade schools in your area that
teach welding ? Could be a class project and if they mess it up ... well
you already have one you can't use so you're really no worse off .

* --

* Snag

I agree

Gunner

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 26 Aug 2017 15:18:02 GMT, Tony Robles
wrote:

I was given a craftsman 101 27430 12 in. lathe with quick change gears in
excellent shape and runs great,been learning to use the lathe.Appreciate all
the youtube videos.As I was cutting some threads the gears started jumping on
the Quadrant so I pulled it apart and noticed a crack on the Quadrant.Been
trying to find a new or used quadrant on ebay an have been unsuccessful would
appreciate any help as to where I might look.

I don't remember if the quadrant on that lathe is zinc or cast iron.
If cast iron any competent welder can either TIG braze or braze using
a torch. The part is small enough that it would be easy to heat the
entire part hot enough so that the brazing operation wouldn't lead to
cracking. If the part is zinc there is available online a soldering
alloy that works very well on zinc alloys. Pure zinc can be soldered
with rod available from the hardware store. Done properly the soldered
repair will be just as strong as the original part. All you need
besides the rod is a propane torch.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to dcaster, Tony Robles wrote:
sacramento,have a friend going to stop by to see if he can weld it up for me

--
for full context, visit http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...30-640752-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Jim Wilkins, Tony Robles wrote:
tried this site an it said not available and there is no replacement for it

--
for full context, visit http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...30-640752-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Bob Engelhardt, Tony Robles wrote:
my friend picked it up who is a welder by trade ,thinks he might be able to
repair it,should know something by monday.Thanks for the input

--
for full context, visit http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...30-640752-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Jim Wilkins, Tony Robles wrote:
been 40 years since I've done any actual welding but do have a good friend
who's trade is welding and took the part with him,will know by monday

--
for full context, visit http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...30-640752-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 26 Aug 2017 14:37:53 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

On 8/26/2017 12:21 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/cra...57_160202.html
-jsw

$295 - yikes! Definitely need to consider repair. Welding, of course,
but brazing would likely be enough. Compared to $295 for a new one,
taking it to a professional would be cheap.

If its cast iron..and it more than likely is...brazing is indeed how
it should be done.

That source of course..is an utter ripoff.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/car...0kq0nbqtr24j45

Carraige bolt. Plain jane galvanized carraige bolt...available at any
TruValue hardware store for 75 cents at most.... $5.23

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

wrote:

I was given a craftsman 101 27430 12 in. lathe with quick change gears in
excellent shape and runs great,been learning to use the lathe.Appreciate all
the youtube videos.As I was cutting some threads the gears started jumping on
the Quadrant so I pulled it apart and noticed a crack on the Quadrant.Been
trying to find a new or used quadrant on ebay an have been unsuccessful would
appreciate any help as to where I might look.

Hard to believe any Atlas part is not on ebay.
I had more luck searching on "Atlas lathe banjo"

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...banjo&_sacat=0

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

From the picture here
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/mode...7/0728000.html
it doesn't look too difficult to make a stronger one from steel plate.
The slots wouldn't have to be very precise, the arc could be oversize
and the long one could wobble; both could be chain-drilled and filed
wide enough to pass the bolt. The raised boss for shaft 26 could be a
pressed-in bushing, maybe tack welded at the edges, or just a washer
if handle #8 holds the quadrant securely enough. What looks like other
keyhole slots for gear studs in the interior could be left off until
needed.

If the straight slot comes out too wide to restrain the square on the
carriage bolt #7 a hex head could be undercut with a longer step.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to etpm, Tony Robles wrote:
thank you,I'll find out monday when my buddy gets back to .I'll relay the info.

--
for full context, visit http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...30-640752-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, August 26, 2017 at 4:18:06 PM UTC-4, Tony Robles wrote:
replying to dcaster, Tony Robles wrote:
sacramento,have a friend going to stop by to see if he can weld it up for me

Well I am in Delaware, so not very close. But if you do not come up with a reasonable repair, let me know. I am not too far from a foundry ( cat tail foundry ) and could get a replacement cast. I have not done this before so there would be a learning curve for me. And would not be too speedy. I think they only cast about once a month.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Saturday, August 26, 2017 at 4:18:06 PM UTC-4, Tony Robles wrote:
replying to dcaster, Tony Robles wrote:
sacramento,have a friend going to stop by to see if he can weld it
up for me

Well I am in Delaware, so not very close. But if you do not come up
with a reasonable repair, let me know. I am not too far from a
foundry ( cat tail foundry ) and could get a replacement cast. I have
not done this before so there would be a learning curve for me. And
would not be too speedy. I think they only cast about once a month.

Dan

==========================

It would be easy to make a functional steel copy with a bandsaw to cut
the blank and a milling machine for the holes and slots. The copy
doesn't have to be a precise duplicate; the user manually adjusts gear
engagement on the quadrant by moving the studs, and the mesh to the
spindle gear by rotating and clamping the whole assembly.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to dcaster, Tony Robles wrote:
ok,thank you

--
for full context, visit http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...30-640752-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Jim Wilkins, Tony Robles wrote:
picked this lathe up from my stepfather,he also has a milling machine that I
will eventually get but it is all the way up in seattle and his health is poor
,but I' not in any hurry for that to happen,I should still have time to learn
that machine when that time comes.never to old to learn.in the mean time we'll
see how this goes.thanks

--
for full context, visit http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...30-640752-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Bob Engelhardt, Tony Robles wrote:
I did finally find this one for 295 and you are correct,yikes!

--
for full context, visit http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...30-640752-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 27 Aug 2017 17:18:06 GMT, Tony Robles
wrote:

replying to Bob Engelhardt, Tony Robles wrote:
I did finally find this one for 295 and you are correct,yikes!

Sorry I didn't follow this whole thread, but I guess you have the idea
that welding cast iron is problematic and you'll get a wide range of
opinions about how it should be done. Weldors who can do it *reliably*
are not that common, although people I've interviewed at Lincoln and
Miller tell me that a simple job like yours can be done by most people
using arc welding and nickel rods. Several other methods can work, but
they require more expertise.

I agree with Jim. It's a simple piece that you could make out of mild
steel. I'd have it roughed out by someone who's good with a plasma
cutter (most commercial weldors) and then I'd drill and grind the
slots. Space the drilled holes so you can go back and drill *between*
them, overlapping the holes on each side, and you'll get most of the
metal out of there before you grind and/or file. Filing to finish work
like that is easier than you might think.

The result would be stronger and much more dependable.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/28/2017 10:31 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:
Might be a Logan Lathe.

Search for Logan Lathe - web and they support them.

Martin

On 8/26/2017 10:18 AM, Tony Robles wrote:
I was given a craftsman 101 27430 12 in. lathe with quick change
gears in
excellent shape and runs great,been learning to use the
lathe.Appreciate all
the youtube videos.As I was cutting some threads the gears started
jumping on
the Quadrant so I pulled it apart and noticed a crack on the
Quadrant.Been
trying to find a new or used quadrant on ebay an have been
unsuccessful would
appreciate any help as to where I might look.

Â* Nope , Logan didn't make lathes for Sears in that era .

Â* --

Â* Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Martin Eastburn, tony robles wrote:
checked logan and so far nothing,my welder friend was swamped yesterday,should
get a chance at it today,in the mean time i'll keep at it.thanks again

--
for full context, visit http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...30-640752-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2017-08-29, Martin Eastburn wrote:

On 8/26/2017 10:18 AM, Tony Robles wrote:
I was given a craftsman 101 27430 12 in. lathe with quick change gears in
excellent shape and runs great,been learning to use the lathe.Appreciate
all
the youtube videos.As I was cutting some threads the gears started
jumping on
the Quadrant so I pulled it apart and noticed a crack on the Quadrant.Been
trying to find a new or used quadrant on ebay an have been unsuccessful
would
appreciate any help as to where I might look.

Might be a Logan Lathe.

Search for Logan Lathe - web and they support them.

Martin

Not likely. The Craftsman (Sears Roebuck) lathes were made by
Atlas. (And Atlas joined with Causing, so look for parts under the
Clausing name.)

The Logan lathes were sold by another big store chain, whose
name I *should* remember, but can't at the moment -- likely until just
after I hit "send". :-)

And, of course, there were also the Craftsman "109" series
lathes, made by AA and a lot more fragile.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 30 Aug 2017 00:27:13 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2017-08-29, Martin Eastburn wrote:

[...]

Montgomery Ward, known to Sears employees as "Monkey Warts."

And, of course, there were also the Craftsman "109" series
lathes, made by AA and a lot more fragile.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to DoN. Nichols, tony robles wrote:
thanks for the input,apparently only the quick change on the 12 inch matches
up that I noticed and to get one you basicly need to buy the whole quick
change unit for 4 or 500 bucks or pay 295 for the quadrant alone

--
for full context, visit http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...30-640752-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"tony robles"
wrote in message ...
replying to DoN. Nichols, tony robles wrote:
thanks for the input,apparently only the quick change on the 12 inch
matches
up that I noticed and to get one you basicly need to buy the whole
quick
change unit for 4 or 500 bucks or pay 295 for the quadrant alone

https://www.hobartwelders.com/weldta...hp/t-4097.html

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Jim Wilkins, tony robles wrote:
got it repaired appears to be holding up fine,thanks for all the input

--
for full context, visit http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...30-640752-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"tony robles"
wrote in message ...
replying to Jim Wilkins, tony robles wrote:
got it repaired appears to be holding up fine,thanks for all the
input

So tell us how, for the next person's problem.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Jim Wilkins, tony robles wrote:
he grinded it down a little made sure he got it good an hot when he welded it
,apparently it was welded before but no depth and it separated,if by chance it
doesn't hold I will post it but it looks like he did a nice job.thanks again

--
for full context, visit http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...30-640752-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2017-08-29, Martin Eastburn wrote:

[...]