Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Atlas craftsman model101 27430

On Sun, 27 Aug 2017 17:18:06 GMT, Tony Robles
wrote:

replying to Bob Engelhardt, Tony Robles wrote:
I did finally find this one for 295 and you are correct,yikes!

Sorry I didn't follow this whole thread, but I guess you have the idea
that welding cast iron is problematic and you'll get a wide range of
opinions about how it should be done. Weldors who can do it *reliably*
are not that common, although people I've interviewed at Lincoln and
Miller tell me that a simple job like yours can be done by most people
using arc welding and nickel rods. Several other methods can work, but
they require more expertise.

I agree with Jim. It's a simple piece that you could make out of mild
steel. I'd have it roughed out by someone who's good with a plasma
cutter (most commercial weldors) and then I'd drill and grind the
slots. Space the drilled holes so you can go back and drill *between*
them, overlapping the holes on each side, and you'll get most of the
metal out of there before you grind and/or file. Filing to finish work
like that is easier than you might think.

The result would be stronger and much more dependable.

--
Ed Huntress