Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Atlas craftsman model101 27430

On Sat, 26 Aug 2017 15:18:02 GMT, Tony Robles
wrote:

I was given a craftsman 101 27430 12 in. lathe with quick change gears in
excellent shape and runs great,been learning to use the lathe.Appreciate all
the youtube videos.As I was cutting some threads the gears started jumping on
the Quadrant so I pulled it apart and noticed a crack on the Quadrant.Been
trying to find a new or used quadrant on ebay an have been unsuccessful would
appreciate any help as to where I might look.

I don't remember if the quadrant on that lathe is zinc or cast iron.
If cast iron any competent welder can either TIG braze or braze using
a torch. The part is small enough that it would be easy to heat the
entire part hot enough so that the brazing operation wouldn't lead to
cracking. If the part is zinc there is available online a soldering
alloy that works very well on zinc alloys. Pure zinc can be soldered
with rod available from the hardware store. Done properly the soldered
repair will be just as strong as the original part. All you need
besides the rod is a propane torch.
Eric