Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anyone Have an Atlas Shaper using Atlas 3 PH Power?

I'd like to converse with anyone with an Atlas shaper powered by Atlas
3 PH motor and starter. I'm going to run my shaper with 3 PH. Also
interested in buying 3 PH pieces-starter is no. S7-300, starter
bracket (don't know part number) and 1/2 HP motor is no. 2620. I would
like to get some pictures of the bracket for the starter and how it is
mounted on the machine. Thanks. Gary R.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-19, FBsFinest wrote:
I'd like to converse with anyone with an Atlas shaper powered by Atlas
3 PH motor and starter. I'm going to run my shaper with 3 PH. Also
interested in buying 3 PH pieces-starter is no. S7-300, starter
bracket (don't know part number) and 1/2 HP motor is no. 2620. I would
like to get some pictures of the bracket for the starter and how it is
mounted on the machine. Thanks. Gary R.

How big a shaper is this which you want three phase to power?

The only Atlas one which I know of is the 7" one, which is
normally single phase 120 VAC for the motor. And that is quite similar
to my Rockwell/Delta/AMMCO one, and not that different from the South
Bend one. (IIRC, the South Bend is the one which has its own built in
oil pump instead of needing a trip round all the GITS oil cups before
running. :-)

Do you already have three-phase for your shop? If not, you can
run it from a VFD and not need a starter. And the starter could be
mounted anywhere within reach anyway. No real need to mount it on the
machine.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DoN,

I've been using 3 PH for many years. This is one of those 'I want to
be different ideas'. Most people don't want to deal with 3 PH so I
thought it might be easier to acquire these pieces because users might
want to get rid of them. I have a manual starter that I think is the
one used by Atlas-its a Cutler-Hammer piece. The motor is pretty
straight forward since Atlas put their name on it. I would like to
acquire one of these. This is part of my metalworking enjoyment. Gary
R.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-20, FBsFinest wrote:
DoN,

I've been using 3 PH for many years. This is one of those 'I want to
be different ideas'. Most people don't want to deal with 3 PH so I
thought it might be easier to acquire these pieces because users might
want to get rid of them. I have a manual starter that I think is the
one used by Atlas-its a Cutler-Hammer piece. The motor is pretty
straight forward since Atlas put their name on it. I would like to
acquire one of these. This is part of my metalworking enjoyment.

O.K. So it is now clear that you really want the plain and
simple three phase with starter.

This is really the litte 7" shaper? You won't need that big a
motor for that. Not even a need for reversing, unless you want jogging,
which is easy enough to do by hand on a 7".

Sorry that I don't have the pieces you need. Not sure that
there were ever very many of those systems made with three phase.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-20, FBsFinest wrote:

DoN,

[...]

I actually saw an Atlas shaper with a 3-phase motor at a school
auction once,
was a fractional horsepower item IIRC, like 1/2 horse. Motor was a
proprietary thing,
would have taken a lot of work to fit a standard frame single phase
motor. Lots of pieces
missing, so not that great a deal. Same auction also had a Delta
scroll saw with a 1/4 horse
3-phase motor on it, same deal, proprietary motor. Smallest 3-phase
motors I've ever seen. I
guess whoever specced the things to start with wanted the same type of
plugs in the whole shop.
Had a small Baldor grinder, was 3-phase, too. Guess the O.P. should
have been there, although
the stuff didn't go cheap. One bidder on the scroll saw didn't even
know what 3-phase was when I
mentioned it. "Whazzat?" Guess he thought I was trying to discourage
bidders.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Looks like eBay will be my best source for the motor. I'm a bit
surprised that no one has responded that owns a 3 PH powered shaper.
Either these users are rare or I'm not reaching them. I'm guessing the
manual starter is the harder piece to find so I'm glad I have
something close (maybe exact). 1 PH Atlas motors show up on eBay quite
often so a 3 PH listing should show up - staying optimistic. For now I
have a brand new in the box Baldor that will get me going. The shaper
needs a good cleaning so that will take some time. Maybe by then an
Atlas motor will show up. Thanks for the replies. Gary R.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 21, 10:47*am, FBsFinest wrote:
Looks like eBay will be my best source for the motor. I'm a bit
surprised that no one has responded that owns a 3 PH powered shaper.
Either these users are rare or I'm not reaching them. I'm guessing the
manual starter is the harder piece to find so I'm glad I have
something close (maybe exact). 1 PH Atlas motors show up on eBay quite
often so a 3 PH listing should show up - staying optimistic. For now I
have a brand new in the box Baldor that will get me going. The shaper
needs a good cleaning so that will take some time. Maybe by then an
Atlas motor will show up. Thanks for the replies. Gary R.

My guess as to why you are not seeing a lot of three phase equiped
Atlas machines is because the target market was the home shop/school
sector.

I have seen several Atlas shapers/mills on industrial auctions that
had been converted to three phase..likely because it was the cheap and
handy solution in the factory environment.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 21, 9:47*am, FBsFinest wrote:
Looks like eBay will be my best source for the motor. I'm a bit
surprised that no one has responded that owns a 3 PH powered shaper.
Either these users are rare or I'm not reaching them. I'm guessing the
manual starter is the harder piece to find so I'm glad I have
something close (maybe exact). 1 PH Atlas motors show up on eBay quite
often so a 3 PH listing should show up - staying optimistic. For now I
have a brand new in the box Baldor that will get me going. The shaper
needs a good cleaning so that will take some time. Maybe by then an
Atlas motor will show up. Thanks for the replies. Gary R.

There's really NO advantage to 3-phase in such an application, you
aren't going to be doing instant reversals on a shaper.
The only "advantage", if you see it that way, is making all the plugs
and sockets the same. You'd
probably find 3-phase shaper owners in the 2-3+ hp class. Those would
be big beasts,
NOT originally home shop class like the Atlas. Hook it up to single
phase and start making chips.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-20, FBsFinest wrote:

DoN,

I've been using 3 PH for many years. This is one of those 'I want to
be different ideas'. Most people don't want to deal with 3 PH so I
thought it might be easier to acquire these pieces because users might

[ ... ]

* * * * Sorry that I don't have the pieces you need. *Not sure that
there were ever very many of those systems made with three phase.

[ ... ]

I actually saw an Atlas shaper with a 3-phase motor at a school
auction once,
was a fractional horsepower item IIRC, like 1/2 horse. Motor was a
proprietary thing,
would have taken a lot of work to fit a standard frame single phase
motor. Lots of pieces
missing, so not that great a deal. Same auction also had a Delta
scroll saw with a 1/4 horse
3-phase motor on it, same deal, proprietary motor. Smallest 3-phase
motors I've ever seen. I
guess whoever specced the things to start with wanted the same type of
plugs in the whole shop.
Had a small Baldor grinder, was 3-phase, too.

Perhaps the school used them to discourage theft of the tools?
Most thieves would not know what to do with three phase powered tools.

Guess the O.P. should
have been there, although
the stuff didn't go cheap. One bidder on the scroll saw didn't even
know what 3-phase was when I
mentioned it. "Whazzat?" Guess he thought I was trying to discourage
bidders.

I wonder whether he was the one who won it -- and thus would
have to find out what three phase was? :-)

FWIW -- I keep planning to swap a three-phase motor into my Clausing
12x24" lathe -- and run it from a VFD. But I keep being too
busy *using* the lathe to work on it for that. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-20, FBsFinest wrote:

DoN,

I've been using 3 PH for many years. This is one of those 'I want to
be different ideas'. Most people don't want to deal with 3 PH so I
thought it might be easier to acquire these pieces because users might

* * * * [ ... ]

[...]

Everything went very high at that particular auction, I think that
scroll saw went for like $500, was missing the throat piece and the
table clamp. The shaper was missing most of the small pieces like
handles, clapper, tool post and the vise, went for like $750. Only
bargain was for a really big Powermatic metal cutting bandsaw, must
have had a 36" throat on it and weighed tons. Had about an 1 1/2"
blade on as it stood. Not exactly a home basement piece, was about
12' high, probably used a ladder to change blades. Think it went for
scrap price. Ditto on a mongo Miller three-phase stick welder,
covered most of a pallet and was about 3' high. Couldn't get any bids
on that one. Probably needed its own substation.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-22, wrote:

[ ... ]

Everything went very high at that particular auction, I think that
scroll saw went for like $500, was missing the throat piece and the
table clamp. The shaper was missing most of the small pieces like
handles, clapper, tool post and the vise, went for like $750.

Ouch!

Only
bargain was for a really big Powermatic metal cutting bandsaw, must
have had a 36" throat on it and weighed tons. Had about an 1 1/2"
blade on as it stood. Not exactly a home basement piece, was about
12' high, probably used a ladder to change blades. Think it went for
scrap price.

I wonder how big a motor it had? The weird town bylaws say that
a tool in a home can have no more than a 2 HP motor. Not sure whether
it is on the assumption that it will be woodworking tools like a planer,
and trying to keep the noise down, or whether it is trying to minimize
power line dips when things start up in a residential neighborhood.

In any case, I am not pleased. :-)

Ditto on a mongo Miller three-phase stick welder,
covered most of a pallet and was about 3' high. Couldn't get any bids
on that one. Probably needed its own substation.

Likely.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 23 Mar 2011 03:55:37 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

I wonder how big a motor it had? The weird town bylaws say that
a tool in a home can have no more than a 2 HP motor. Not sure whether
it is on the assumption that it will be woodworking tools like a planer,
and trying to keep the noise down, or whether it is trying to minimize
power line dips when things start up in a residential neighborhood.

In any case, I am not pleased. :-)

We have a similar restriction here, though it's buried in the power
companies rules rather than the town's land use ordinances. The power
company reserves the right to refuse service to any single phase
motor, commercial or residential, larger than 5HP, but I've never
heard of them actually invoking the rule. I assume, in our case, it
has to do with power quality on long rural lines.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I wonder how big a motor it had? The weird town bylaws say that
a tool in a home can have no more than a 2 HP motor. Not sure whether
it is on the assumption that it will be woodworking tools like a planer,
and trying to keep the noise down, or whether it is trying to minimize
power line dips when things start up in a residential neighborhood.

In any case, I am not pleased. :-)

We have a similar restriction here, though it's buried in the power
companies rules rather than the town's land use ordinances.

I suspect that the town's rationale for a HP limit is to enforce zoning
regulations - only industrial entities would need motors larger than 2
HP.

The power
company reserves the right to refuse service to any single phase
motor, commercial or residential, larger than 5HP, but I've never
heard of them actually invoking the rule. I assume, in our case, it
has to do with power quality on long rural lines.

I bet the issue is the startup surge.

With a VFD set up for soft start, no surge.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 16:56:01 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

wrote:

I wonder how big a motor it had? The weird town bylaws say that
a tool in a home can have no more than a 2 HP motor. Not sure whether
it is on the assumption that it will be woodworking tools like a planer,
and trying to keep the noise down, or whether it is trying to minimize
power line dips when things start up in a residential neighborhood.

In any case, I am not pleased. :-)

We have a similar restriction here, though it's buried in the power
companies rules rather than the town's land use ordinances.

I suspect that the town's rationale for a HP limit is to enforce zoning
regulations - only industrial entities would need motors larger than 2
HP.

Most likely in DoN's town, not here. This town has no zoning other
than state mandated shoreline zoning. As I said, the provision is in
the power company's tariffs, not the town's land use regulations.

The power
company reserves the right to refuse service to any single phase
motor, commercial or residential, larger than 5HP, but I've never
heard of them actually invoking the rule. I assume, in our case, it
has to do with power quality on long rural lines.

I bet the issue is the startup surge.

I'm sure that's the reason here.

With a VFD set up for soft start, no surge.

Joe Gwinn

--
Ned Simmons

Atlas shaper advice needed F. George McDuffee Metalworking 14 May 21st 08 01:55 AM
AMMCo vs Atlas Shaper CAMCOMPCO Metalworking 12 January 22nd 06 12:39 AM
Correct motor pulley/sheave size for Atlas 7" metal shaper? kb1_kanobe Metalworking 2 December 21st 05 01:32 AM
looking for atlas 618 Ron Metalworking 2 May 7th 05 06:11 AM
FS- Atlas 7B metal shaper $700 Dave August Metalworking 7 February 27th 05 04:29 AM