Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default tried to machine titanium

onlinemetals was having a sale so I got a foot of 1/2" titanium round in
"grade 2", whatever that is.

I tried it out on the Sherline lathe. The stuff makes stainless steel look
like brass. Never seen anything work harden as fast, or make such nasty
sharp chips that never break off and just make a brillo pad.

Like the folks on the internet say, as long as you don't interrupt your
cut and don't back off on cutting pressure, it's not bad at all.

The real struggle is always with parting off as everythings wants to slip
out of square on the tiny lathe. I measured the thicknes of the chip that
came off with a HSS parting blade at 0.005 when things we running OK.

I cut with "relion" cutting fluid, and got a little smoke as Ti gets hot
when cutting as it's apparently a bad conductor of heat.

The stuff takes a decent finish and cleans up real nice with fine
sandpaper if you're real forceful.

Can't wait to try to cut some threads on it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cydrome Leader fired this volley in news:nkrqaf
:

I cut with "relion" cutting fluid, and got a little smoke as Ti gets

hot
when cutting as it's apparently a bad conductor of heat.

The stuff takes a decent finish and cleans up real nice with fine
sandpaper if you're real forceful.

Can't wait to try to cut some threads on it.

As a pyrotechnician, I can also tell you it's HIGHLY flammable. Keep it
wet with coolant always. I've seen the aftermath of "dry cutting" on Ti,
and it isn't pretty when a large pile of chips ignites!

Well... it IS pretty when it's in a pyro effect, but not so much on your
lathe chip pan! G

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com on Mon, 27 Jun
2016 17:10:44 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Cydrome Leader fired this volley in news:nkrqaf
:

I cut with "relion" cutting fluid, and got a little smoke as Ti gets

hot
when cutting as it's apparently a bad conductor of heat.

The stuff takes a decent finish and cleans up real nice with fine
sandpaper if you're real forceful.

Can't wait to try to cut some threads on it.

As a pyrotechnician, I can also tell you it's HIGHLY flammable. Keep it
wet with coolant always. I've seen the aftermath of "dry cutting" on Ti,
and it isn't pretty when a large pile of chips ignites!

Well... it IS pretty when it's in a pyro effect, but not so much on your
lathe chip pan! G

And do not, should it catch fire, put water on it. No joy: steam
explosions and burning underwater.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 27 Jun 2016 18:12:31 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

[...]

When are you going to get a real lathe?

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

When are you going to get a real lathe?

C'mon, Gunner! A Sherline IS a "real" lathe. It's not a GOOD lathe, but
it's very, very 'real'.

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 27 Jun 2016 20:24:15 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

When are you going to get a real lathe?

C'mon, Gunner! A Sherline IS a "real" lathe. It's not a GOOD lathe, but
it's very, very 'real'.

Lloyd

Isnt the Sherline the little toy lathe that pencil makers use?

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

Isnt the Sherline the little toy lathe that pencil makers use?

Yeah... but you can touch it. It will turn. It will make crude things
that look almost round.

It's 'real', just not _desireable_.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 05:28:48 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

Isnt the Sherline the little toy lathe that pencil makers use?

Yeah... but you can touch it. It will turn. It will make crude things
that look almost round.

It's 'real', just not _desireable_.

LLoyd

In Wieberworld a real lathe sits unused because it's a gearbox-busting blanket-magnet. A real truck
sits in the shop waiting for repair money to be scrounged. A real wife has multiple boyfriends. A
real house arrived on wheels and sits on a rented lot. And a real mind lies to itself and everyone.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Need real space first.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jun 2016 20:24:15 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
m:

When are you going to get a real lathe?

C'mon, Gunner! A Sherline IS a "real" lathe. It's not a GOOD lathe, but
it's very, very 'real'.

Lloyd

Isnt the Sherline the little toy lathe that pencil makers use?

For small parts, it's the right tool and it works great.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jun 2016 20:24:15 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

When are you going to get a real lathe?

C'mon, Gunner! A Sherline IS a "real" lathe. It's not a GOOD lathe, but
it's very, very 'real'.

Lloyd

Isnt the Sherline the little toy lathe that pencil makers use?

For small parts, it's the right tool and it works great.

I agree. I do not have a Sherline lathe, but its reputation is that if you
don't try to over work it the work it produces will be good.

Pencils? Why? Pens are the way to go. You make pencils by extruding wood
goop around a core.

Its like saying a Taig 2019CR isn't a real mill or that its bad. Its good
at being what it is. An inexpensive small mill for making small parts. I
made tens of thousnads of dollars worth of parts on my Taig, and it paid for
my next couple machines. It didn't make any of those parts very fast
though.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" fired this volley in
:

I agree. I do not have a Sherline lathe, but its reputation is that
if you don't try to over work it the work it produces will be good.

Yeah... I even have a little Unimat on the shelf. I use it only seldom,
but I've made some nice "microscopic" parts on it. The only drawback is
that I use it so seldom, I often have to replace the O-ring belts before it
will work again!

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 14:05:17 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

"Bob La Londe" fired this volley in
:

I agree. I do not have a Sherline lathe, but its reputation is that
if you don't try to over work it the work it produces will be good.

Yeah... I even have a little Unimat on the shelf. I use it only seldom,
but I've made some nice "microscopic" parts on it. The only drawback is
that I use it so seldom, I often have to replace the O-ring belts before it
will work again!

LLoyd

My old mentor at American Machinist, Bob Hatschek, used a Unimat in
the only production application I've ever seen for one. He made a
little aluminum and brass gadget known as the "Hatschek Hook," a
release hook for high-class model gliders. It weighed a fraction of an
ounce and it had quite a bit of machining on it, all done on the
Unimat.

Bob sold over 1,000 of them, worldwide, to model glider competitors.
It wasn't cheap.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jun 2016 20:24:15 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

When are you going to get a real lathe?

C'mon, Gunner! A Sherline IS a "real" lathe. It's not a GOOD
lathe, but
it's very, very 'real'.

Lloyd

Isnt the Sherline the little toy lathe that pencil makers use?

For small parts, it's the right tool and it works great.

At least it cancels any misconception that metal is infinitely rigid.

At Mitre I acquired a Sherline and a Prazi clone from closed labs (a
bad omen). The Prazi was large enough to be useful though I dislike
its controls. I couldn't learn to like the Sherline for anything. It
fit in a drawer and there it stayed. I can do tiny delicate work in
brass better on my 10" South Bend.
--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 14:05:17 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

"Bob La Londe" fired this volley in
:

I agree. I do not have a Sherline lathe, but its reputation is that
if you don't try to over work it the work it produces will be good.

Yeah... I even have a little Unimat on the shelf. I use it only seldom,
but I've made some nice "microscopic" parts on it. The only drawback is
that I use it so seldom, I often have to replace the O-ring belts before it
will work again!

LLoyd

Leave the "safety cover" open, and the "O" rings will run cooler and
last longer.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 05:28:48 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

Isnt the Sherline the little toy lathe that pencil makers use?

Yeah... but you can touch it. It will turn. It will make crude things
that look almost round.

It's 'real', just not _desireable_.

LLoyd

(VBG)

I used to service the machines that made the Taig machines (very
similar) out in Aridzona.
So Im more than a bit familiar with both of them. All things
said..not a bad "marginally better than a toy" machine. The factory
was fascinating in the late 90s. Everything was running off a
military surplus generator out in the side yard. Not a lot of AC
either..easy 110F in the shop during the summer months.

Shaublin small machines are hardly toys. Minatures perhaps....
Shrug

Gunner

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 06:48:16 -0700, Isn't Life Strange
wrote:

On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 05:28:48 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
m:

Isnt the Sherline the little toy lathe that pencil makers use?

Yeah... but you can touch it. It will turn. It will make crude things
that look almost round.

It's 'real', just not _desireable_.

LLoyd

In Wieberworld a real lathe sits unused because it's a gearbox-busting blanket-magnet. A real truck
sits in the shop waiting for repair money to be scrounged. A real wife has multiple boyfriends. A
real house arrived on wheels and sits on a rented lot. And a real mind lies to itself and everyone.

Really? Gears are in, the lathe is running. So is the Hardinge HLV-H
Truck in the shop? How could that be? There isnt any room in the shop.
Too many machine tools in the way.
The van however should be finished this week. They ordered the timing
chain and gear set for the proper 5.7 engine..got one for the 5.0 and
installed it. Seems the timing marks are about 25' off. So the new and
proper set should have been installed yesterday. I didnt check today,
but will in the morning to see what the status is. Its been paid in
full for over a month.
Wife hasnt had a boyfriend in 20 yrs. You on the other hand..have a
boyfriend currently.
Real house? I live in a manufactured home. And yup..they come on
wheels, which go away after its set and leveled.

Then you are claiming you have a "real mind"? Pity that..your
definition is as deviant as you are. Which..is really around the bend.

Sucks to be you. And according to your past boyfriends...quite well
too.

Im curious..why havent you and your Top taken a round the world trip
(except in bed)? Broke are you?
Thats probably why you are a Bottom.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 15:49:39 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jun 2016 20:24:15 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

When are you going to get a real lathe?

C'mon, Gunner! A Sherline IS a "real" lathe. It's not a GOOD lathe, but
it's very, very 'real'.

Lloyd

Isnt the Sherline the little toy lathe that pencil makers use?

For small parts, it's the right tool and it works great.

Id be more than happy to supply you with "the right tool".

No..sorry..I gave away the Lorch LAS a couple years ago..just
remembered

http://www.lathes.co.uk/lorch/page6.html

Ran nicely and cut screws well...but the new owner did have to order
some change gears made up.

Looks like you are stuck with the toy.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

So you are still doing work on your dining room table?

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 27 Jun 2016 19:30:28 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Mon, 27 Jun 2016 20:24:15 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
m:

When are you going to get a real lathe?

C'mon, Gunner! A Sherline IS a "real" lathe. It's not a GOOD lathe, but
it's very, very 'real'.

Lloyd

Isnt the Sherline the little toy lathe that pencil makers use?

Yes. Yes it is. He should at least get an HFT lathe.
snicker

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 05:28:48 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

Isnt the Sherline the little toy lathe that pencil makers use?

Yeah... but you can touch it. It will turn. It will make crude things
that look almost round.

It's 'real', just not _desireable_.

LLoyd

In Wieberworld a real lathe sits unused because it's a gearbox-busting blanket-magnet. A real truck
sits in the shop waiting for repair money to be scrounged. A real wife has multiple boyfriends. A
real house arrived on wheels and sits on a rented lot. And a real mind lies to itself and everyone.

Really? Gears are in, the lathe is running. So is the Hardinge HLV-H

Your word is worthless.

Truck in the shop? How could that be? There isnt any room in the shop.

You don't have a shop. You have a poorly enclosed carport with a dirt floor and a rollup door that
someone threw away. You "engineered" a sad and ugly installation, your trademark.

Too many machine tools in the way.
The van however should be finished this week.

How many months is that? I had a serious failure of my own truck. Put it on the hoist, diagnosed the
problem, picked up the parts. Next day installed them, back on the road. Strange how the people you
claim are incompetent can do the things you have to pay others to do for you, eh?

They ordered the timing
chain and gear set for the proper 5.7 engine..got one for the 5.0 and
installed it. Seems the timing marks are about 25' off. So the new and
proper set should have been installed yesterday. I didnt check today,
but will in the morning to see what the status is. Its been paid in
full for over a month.

Too bad you couldn't afford to hire someone competent.

Wife hasnt had a boyfriend in 20 yrs.

How the **** would you know?

You on the other hand..have a
boyfriend currently.
Real house? I live in a manufactured home. And yup..they come on
wheels, which go away after its set and leveled.

It could have been decent if it wasn't installed on such a **** lot and didn't have pigs living in
it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, June 28, 2016 at 3:05:22 PM UTC-4, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
"Bob La Londe" fired this volley in
:

I agree. I do not have a Sherline lathe, but its reputation is that
if you don't try to over work it the work it produces will be good.

Yeah... I even have a little Unimat on the shelf. I use it only seldom,
but I've made some nice "microscopic" parts on it. The only drawback is
that I use it so seldom, I often have to replace the O-ring belts before it
will work again!

LLoyd

I paid $10 for a unimat at a yard sale and a couple of years later sold it for $900 on ebay. Could have knocked me over with a feather, but the guy really wanted it and really paid for it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jun 2016 20:24:15 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
m:

When are you going to get a real lathe?

C'mon, Gunner! A Sherline IS a "real" lathe. It's not a GOOD lathe, but
it's very, very 'real'.

Lloyd

Isnt the Sherline the little toy lathe that pencil makers use?

For small parts, it's the right tool and it works great.

Id be more than happy to supply you with "the right tool".

No..sorry..I gave away the Lorch LAS a couple years ago..just
remembered

http://www.lathes.co.uk/lorch/page6.html

Ran nicely and cut screws well...but the new owner did have to order
some change gears made up.

Looks like you are stuck with the toy.

Not sure why this sort of becoming a ****ing contest.

Call it what you whatever you want, but I've been able to make all sorts
of useful stuff I wasn't able to before with the small lathe and mill.
Hypothetical machinery you don't have really doesn't get the job done.

One guy I know uses pre WWII looking old leather belt driven machines to
make parts for export to Germany. It's an eye opener in what can be made
with what might be considered (they're real pretty though) laughable
tools.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That's about right. I already work full time, this is all for fun.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I figurered out a long time ago that earning a living wasn't all it
was cracked up to be. shrug

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Which is why you haven't earned one in decades.

VBG Cites? indeed fascinating "I've not" buffoon "hold that thought"
backhoe "the list" cull 264mph "3/5/8 years street cop" "800 meters"
swingers leftists

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jun 2016 20:24:15 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
om:

[...]

A Sherline is a good start and AFAIK does what it is meant to. However
when you bang up against its limitations it's time to think about a
larger machine instead of fighting its inherent weakness.

Unfortunately I don't know of a better currently available hobbyist
lathe to step up to. I bought old American iron with its problems of
scarcity, wear and abuse. My first lathe, a 6" Sears/AA, was NOT a
good choice due to its easily bent 1/2"-20 spindle nose.
--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Engineering R&D was being paid for what I'd do for fun, but once I
succeeded the job was over.
--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cydrome Leader wrote:

One guy I know uses pre WWII looking old leather belt driven machines to
make parts for export to Germany. It's an eye opener in what can be made
with what might be considered (they're real pretty though) laughable
tools.

I have a 1938 Bridgeport round-ram that I converted to CNC. I make parts
that are exported all over, as well as sold domestically. One of my major
customers is L. S. Starrett, they use my servo amps in their high-end Force
Measurement Systems. I don't even want to KNOW how much they get for those!
(The part I make for those servo amps is a mounting bracket, machined 1/8"
aluminum, bent and then rigid drill-tapped on the Bridgeport.)
The rest of the servo amp is a printed circuit.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jun 2016 20:24:15 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
om:

When are you going to get a real lathe?

C'mon, Gunner! A Sherline IS a "real" lathe. It's not a GOOD lathe, but
it's very, very 'real'.

Lloyd

Isnt the Sherline the little toy lathe that pencil makers use?

For small parts, it's the right tool and it works great.

Id be more than happy to supply you with "the right tool".

No..sorry..I gave away the Lorch LAS a couple years ago..just
remembered

http://www.lathes.co.uk/lorch/page6.html

Ran nicely and cut screws well...but the new owner did have to order
some change gears made up.

Looks like you are stuck with the toy.

Not sure why this sort of becoming a ****ing contest.

****ing contest? You have been a dick, so Im just returning the
favor.
(VBG)

Call it what you whatever you want, but I've been able to make all sorts
of useful stuff I wasn't able to before with the small lathe and mill.
Hypothetical machinery you don't have really doesn't get the job done.

One guy I know uses pre WWII looking old leather belt driven machines to
make parts for export to Germany. It's an eye opener in what can be made
with what might be considered (they're real pretty though) laughable
tools.

Local guy I take care of, has a flat belt Cincinatti lathe older than
you are, runs just fine
He makes a decent living off it, making specialty parts for the oil
fields

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

So you just work weekends as the door prize at the Blue Oyster bar?

Gunner

---

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news:ljj3nbhhp0t1jpfbdhc9cm3n1bmq4etfn0@4ax. com:

When are you going to get a real lathe?

C'mon, Gunner! A Sherline IS a "real" lathe. It's not a GOOD lathe, but
it's very, very 'real'.

Lloyd

Isnt the Sherline the little toy lathe that pencil makers use?

For small parts, it's the right tool and it works great.

Id be more than happy to supply you with "the right tool".

No..sorry..I gave away the Lorch LAS a couple years ago..just
remembered

http://www.lathes.co.uk/lorch/page6.html

Ran nicely and cut screws well...but the new owner did have to order
some change gears made up.

Looks like you are stuck with the toy.

Not sure why this sort of becoming a ****ing contest.

****ing contest? You have been a dick, so Im just returning the
favor.
(VBG)

You're confusing me with somebody else.

Call it what you whatever you want, but I've been able to make all sorts
of useful stuff I wasn't able to before with the small lathe and mill.
Hypothetical machinery you don't have really doesn't get the job done.

One guy I know uses pre WWII looking old leather belt driven machines to
make parts for export to Germany. It's an eye opener in what can be made
with what might be considered (they're real pretty though) laughable
tools.

Local guy I take care of, has a flat belt Cincinatti lathe older than
you are, runs just fine
He makes a decent living off it, making specialty parts for the oil
fields

Well hell, I have a sherline and it makes the parts I need just fine too.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Jun 2016 13:08:26 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Perhaps that is gunner's secret.

If you never succeed then the job is never over.
--
and a good day to you Sir,

The Mighty Ant
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Likely a far more respectable career than being a lifetime loser.

Hmmm.... "Weeber the Lifetime Loser" certainly has a certain ring to
it, doesn't it. Descriptive too.
--
and a good day to you Sir,

The Mighty Ant

Titanium Dave Lyon Metalworking 8 November 6th 05 07:54 AM
Titanium? Bill Marrs Metalworking 4 June 13th 05 09:42 AM
titanium stig Metalworking 9 April 14th 05 07:22 PM
Titanium [email protected] Metalworking 26 February 3rd 05 08:24 PM
New - Aluminum & Titanium K Metalworking 0 October 19th 03 05:21 PM