Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default tried to machine titanium

On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 14:05:17 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

"Bob La Londe" fired this volley in
:

I agree. I do not have a Sherline lathe, but its reputation is that
if you don't try to over work it the work it produces will be good.

Yeah... I even have a little Unimat on the shelf. I use it only seldom,
but I've made some nice "microscopic" parts on it. The only drawback is
that I use it so seldom, I often have to replace the O-ring belts before it
will work again!

LLoyd

My old mentor at American Machinist, Bob Hatschek, used a Unimat in
the only production application I've ever seen for one. He made a
little aluminum and brass gadget known as the "Hatschek Hook," a
release hook for high-class model gliders. It weighed a fraction of an
ounce and it had quite a bit of machining on it, all done on the
Unimat.

Bob sold over 1,000 of them, worldwide, to model glider competitors.
It wasn't cheap.

--
Ed Huntress