Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default tried to machine titanium

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
Gunner Asch wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 15:49:39 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jun 2016 20:24:15 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
om:

When are you going to get a real lathe?

C'mon, Gunner! A Sherline IS a "real" lathe. It's not a GOOD
lathe, but
it's very, very 'real'.

Lloyd

Isnt the Sherline the little toy lathe that pencil makers use?

For small parts, it's the right tool and it works great.

Id be more than happy to supply you with "the right tool".

No..sorry..I gave away the Lorch LAS a couple years ago..just
remembered

http://www.lathes.co.uk/lorch/page6.html

Ran nicely and cut screws well...but the new owner did have to
order
some change gears made up.

Looks like you are stuck with the toy.

Not sure why this sort of becoming a ****ing contest.

Call it what you whatever you want, but I've been able to make all
sorts
of useful stuff I wasn't able to before with the small lathe and
mill.
Hypothetical machinery you don't have really doesn't get the job
done.

One guy I know uses pre WWII looking old leather belt driven
machines to
make parts for export to Germany. It's an eye opener in what can be
made
with what might be considered (they're real pretty though) laughable
tools.

A Sherline is a good start and AFAIK does what it is meant to. However
when you bang up against its limitations it's time to think about a
larger machine instead of fighting its inherent weakness.

Unfortunately I don't know of a better currently available hobbyist
lathe to step up to. I bought old American iron with its problems of
scarcity, wear and abuse. My first lathe, a 6" Sears/AA, was NOT a
good choice due to its easily bent 1/2"-20 spindle nose.
--jsw