Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
The Mighty Ant The Mighty Ant is offline

Default tried to machine titanium

On Wed, 29 Jun 2016 14:41:16 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Wed, 29 Jun 2016 09:42:37 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Wed, 29 Jun 2016 16:38:45 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 15:29:42 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jun 2016 18:12:31 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

onlinemetals was having a sale so I got a foot of 1/2" titanium round in
"grade 2", whatever that is.

I tried it out on the Sherline lathe. The stuff makes stainless steel look
like brass. Never seen anything work harden as fast, or make such nasty
sharp chips that never break off and just make a brillo pad.

Like the folks on the internet say, as long as you don't interrupt your
cut and don't back off on cutting pressure, it's not bad at all.

The real struggle is always with parting off as everythings wants to slip
out of square on the tiny lathe. I measured the thicknes of the chip that
came off with a HSS parting blade at 0.005 when things we running OK.

I cut with "relion" cutting fluid, and got a little smoke as Ti gets hot
when cutting as it's apparently a bad conductor of heat.

The stuff takes a decent finish and cleans up real nice with fine
sandpaper if you're real forceful.

Can't wait to try to cut some threads on it.

When are you going to get a real lathe?

Need real space first.

So you are still doing work on your dining room table?

That's about right. I already work full time, this is all for fun.

I figurered out a long time ago that earning a living wasn't all it
was cracked up to be. shrug

So you just work weekends as the door prize at the Blue Oyster bar?

Gunner

Likely a far more respectable career than being a lifetime loser.

Hmmm.... "Weeber the Lifetime Loser" certainly has a certain ring to
it, doesn't it. Descriptive too.
--
and a good day to you Sir,

The Mighty Ant