Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default tried to machine titanium

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com on Mon, 27 Jun
2016 17:10:44 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Cydrome Leader fired this volley in news:nkrqaf
:

I cut with "relion" cutting fluid, and got a little smoke as Ti gets

hot
when cutting as it's apparently a bad conductor of heat.

The stuff takes a decent finish and cleans up real nice with fine
sandpaper if you're real forceful.

Can't wait to try to cut some threads on it.

As a pyrotechnician, I can also tell you it's HIGHLY flammable. Keep it
wet with coolant always. I've seen the aftermath of "dry cutting" on Ti,
and it isn't pretty when a large pile of chips ignites!

Well... it IS pretty when it's in a pyro effect, but not so much on your
lathe chip pan! G

And do not, should it catch fire, put water on it. No joy: steam
explosions and burning underwater.
--
pyotr filipivich