Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default The aftermath ...

On Mon, 04 Jan 2016 17:03:50 -0600, Terry Coombs wrote:

I returned those grates today , with an apology for not being able to
repair them . His response was that they'd last until the pile of wood
he has is gone then he's going over to LP gas . And then he asked me how
much he owed me ... and I told him I don't charge unless I actually do
the job ,
we're square and I'll see you next time I need a bottle filled (he's my
CG supplier too) . I consider the small amounts spent for gasses and
supplies are a cheap lesson .
Many thanks to those that posted helpful suggestions , your
contributions
are a part of that lesson .

I've been following your threads on this, and in the latest one about
trying to weld burnt steel, I was wondering if it wouldn't be quicker and
more effective to cobble together a cupola furnace or some such and cast
them new.

Just because...

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:

I've been following your threads on this, and in the latest one about
trying to weld burnt steel, I was wondering if it wouldn't be quicker and
more effective to cobble together a cupola furnace or some such and cast
them new.

If the rest of that stove was in great condition, then this would make
sense. We have some guys here who have graduated from aluminum casting up
to iron and built several cupolas. I don't know a whole lot about that, but
i do seem to remember that they had several adventures with it before they
got it to work well. I think they do about one pouring session a year with
it, and accumulate seveal patterns to pour when they do it.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:

I've been following your threads on this, and in the latest one about
trying to weld burnt steel, I was wondering if it wouldn't be
quicker and more effective to cobble together a cupola furnace or
some such and cast them new.

If the rest of that stove was in great condition, then this would make
sense. We have some guys here who have graduated from aluminum
casting up to iron and built several cupolas. I don't know a whole
lot about that, but i do seem to remember that they had several
adventures with it before they got it to work well. I think they do
about one pouring session a year with it, and accumulate seveal
patterns to pour when they do it.

Jon

One of my "hobbies" is casting aluminum , and the step up to iron is a big
one . I have plans to build a smaller furnace - sized for my small homemade
clay crucibles - to cast brass/bronzes . The big one works but is not
efficient for the size pours I plan to do in brass . I have no plans at this
time to try iron .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:

I've been following your threads on this, and in the latest one about
trying to weld burnt steel, I was wondering if it wouldn't be
quicker and more effective to cobble together a cupola furnace or
some such and cast them new.

If the rest of that stove was in great condition, then this would make
sense. We have some guys here who have graduated from aluminum
casting up to iron and built several cupolas. I don't know a whole
lot about that, but i do seem to remember that they had several
adventures with it before they got it to work well. I think they do
about one pouring session a year with it, and accumulate seveal
patterns to pour when they do it.

Jon

Oh , and the rest of the stove is pretty clapped out too , has steel plates
where firebrick is supposed to be , shows signs of serious overheating
around the flue thimble . My bet is it has seen more than one flue fire .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 05 Jan 2016 11:20:36 -0600, Tim Wescott
wrote:

[...]

Or simply weld a new one out of bars of SS from the scrap bin at the
metal yard

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yah , like we got a metal yard ... here's a link to the part we're talking
about :
http://www.stove-parts-unlimited.com...te-p/40394.htm

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Jesus H. Christ! No wonder the guy wanted them repaired instead.
Stoves are a real ripoff from the start, though.

--

You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.
--Oscar Wilde
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

He didn't even know replacements are available ... I have the same/newer
model stove , and one of my grates has a corner broken off , I found those
when I was looking for myself . I only paid 2 c-notes for the stove
including the triwall/cap/roof flashing . I did replace the flashing with
new and had to add a length of flue pipe .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Thats a "grate". It would be easy to weld up something that would
replace it using 5/16" flat stock. Hell..take it up to 3/8" or even
1/2". Easy to lay out, easy to weld up. Could do a grate in about 5
minutes with a MIG welder. Lay out a bottom course, lay flats across
that..mig em together. Stainless ..can be done..but would be pricey
unless you find a good source. Id simply weld one up out of CRS and
be done with it. It will last for 50+ yrs and none of us will ever
worry about it again.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Tue, 05 Jan 2016 14:36:39 -0800
wrote:

[...]

Well, yeah, but where's the fun in that?

I mean, when casting news grates, one gets to try all sorts of new
things. It's "rec.metalworking" after all.
--
pyotr
Job creation and destruction are both relentless.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I would amble down to my local fab shop with a drawing or a CAD file
and ask them to cut it out with laser or plasma, from the appropriate
thickness of mild steel plate.

If they're friendly and if you're lucky enough to find a big cutoff
they have in their scrap bin, they probably won't charge much. Or take
them a piece of plate from your local scrap dealer. It will be better
than any c.i. you can buy or cast and a lot better than anything you
could weld.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You assume there *is* a local fab shop ... the closest we have is a small
CNC shop that makes widgets for the gov't or something . "NO we do NOT do
small job shop stuff."

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Well, as I said, that's what *I'd* do. g There are two shops with
laser plate cutters within a five-minute drive for me.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I think the closest shop with that capability is in Little Rock , a hundred
miles or so from me . Living out in a clearing out in the woods has it's
good points ... and some drawbacks .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, having lived in both rural and urban areas, I know what you're
sayin'. I find things to like in both.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

True indeed. If one wants to cast a new one...by all means. Wax
casting might be a good method. All one needs is 40 lbs of wax, lots
of green sand, casting box, and someway to melt down humm..50 lbs of
cast iron and then pour it into the mold. Simple!!!

And one could use the old one as a direct pattern!!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Wed, 06 Jan 2016 11:56:58 -0800

wrote:

[...]

See!!!!

Easy peasy!

(Some where in the files I have an article from a woodworking
magazine about setting up your own blast furnace in your back yard.
After all, one of the secrets of good, sharp tools, is the quality of
the steel involved. By doing it yourself, you can have better control
over the quality.)

And one could use the old one as a direct pattern!!

Exactly!!!

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 05 Jan 2016 12:19:32 -0600, Jon Elson wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:

I've been following your threads on this, and in the latest one about
trying to weld burnt steel, I was wondering if it wouldn't be quicker
and more effective to cobble together a cupola furnace or some such and
cast them new.

If the rest of that stove was in great condition, then this would make
sense. We have some guys here who have graduated from aluminum casting
up to iron and built several cupolas. I don't know a whole lot about
that, but i do seem to remember that they had several adventures with it
before they got it to work well. I think they do about one pouring
session a year with it, and accumulate seveal patterns to pour when they
do it.

Jon

Part of the reason I suggested it was because I figure that iron casting
is on Terry's bucket list.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Likely at leat 10 within 20 minutes here.
And my partner in the plane building project has a plasma cutter in
his garage at home.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

There ya' go. If the planes don't work out, he could go into the stove
business. g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

... your own blast furnace in your back yard.
After all, one of the secrets of good, sharp tools, is the quality of
the steel involved. By doing it yourself, you can have better control
over the quality.)

Eh ... "better control"? Probably not

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt on Wed, 06 Jan 2016
20:57:01 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
... your own blast furnace in your back yard.
After all, one of the secrets of good, sharp tools, is the quality of
the steel involved. By doing it yourself, you can have better control
over the quality.)

Eh ... "better control"? Probably not

Well, maybe. But who are you going to trust - yourself, or some
guy in a foundry miles away who does this for a living?

--
pyotr filipivich
Old farts these days - not like when I was a boy! We used to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Mon, 04 Jan 2016 17:03:50 -0600, Terry Coombs wrote:

I returned those grates today , with an apology for not being able to

[ ... ]

Well, yeah, but where's the fun in that?

I mean, when casting news grates, one gets to try all sorts of new
things. It's "rec.metalworking" after all.

True indeed. If one wants to cast a new one...by all means. Wax
casting might be a good method. All one needs is 40 lbs of wax, lots
of green sand, casting box, and someway to melt down humm..50 lbs of
cast iron and then pour it into the mold. Simple!!!

And one could use the old one as a direct pattern!!

I believe that pattern makers have to use a "shrink rule" to
make the pattern a certain percentage larger than the desired casting.
And exactly what percentage is used is a function of what metal is being
cast. (Starrett used to list multiple shrink rules in their catalog.)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

True, but some times the part grows rather then shrinks. Gray cast
iron, for example, has a stated shrinkage of from -2.5% to +1.6.
(note: a shrinkage of -2.5 is actually a growth :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim jim is offline

wrote:

[...]

Steel may work for a while but it will deform (sag) at much
lower temperatures than cast iron.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"jim" wrote in message
Steel may work for a while but it will deform (sag) at
much
lower temperatures than cast iron.

Just weld t-bars under it and it'll work. And you don't need
as many slots to clear the ashes. BTDT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ooh, Me Want Drone

http://www.gizmag.com/ehang-184-aav-...r-drone/41213/

A bit pricy, but this is the kind of drone one could get used to.

--

You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.
--Oscar Wilde

Caustic Stripping - aftermath timjh0 UK diy 21 April 4th 10 04:22 PM
Aftermath of a leak mc Home Ownership 5 March 3rd 05 04:39 AM
Wars And Their Aftermath Ed Huntress Metalworking 3 December 9th 04 12:04 PM
Hurricane aftermath Arch Woodturning 9 September 20th 04 06:50 AM