Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default The aftermath ...

On Wed, 6 Jan 2016 12:21:46 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:
On Wed, 06 Jan 2016 10:01:00 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Gunner Asch on Tue, 05 Jan 2016 14:36:39 -0800
On Tue, 05 Jan 2016 11:20:36 -0600, Tim Wescott
wrote:

On Mon, 04 Jan 2016 17:03:50 -0600, Terry Coombs wrote:

I returned those grates today , with an apology for not being
able to repair them . His response was that they'd last until the
pile of wood he has is gone then he's going over to LP gas . And
then he asked me how much he owed me ... and I told him I don't
charge unless I actually do the job ,
we're square and I'll see you next time I need a bottle filled
(he's my CG supplier too) . I consider the small amounts spent
for gasses and supplies are a cheap lesson .
Many thanks to those that posted helpful suggestions , your
contributions
are a part of that lesson .

I've been following your threads on this, and in the latest one
about trying to weld burnt steel, I was wondering if it wouldn't
be quicker and more effective to cobble together a cupola furnace
or some such and cast them new.

Just because...

Or simply weld a new one out of bars of SS from the scrap bin at the
metal yard

Well, yeah, but where's the fun in that?

I mean, when casting news grates, one gets to try all sorts of new
things. It's "rec.metalworking" after all.

I would amble down to my local fab shop with a drawing or a CAD file
and ask them to cut it out with laser or plasma, from the appropriate
thickness of mild steel plate.

If they're friendly and if you're lucky enough to find a big cutoff
they have in their scrap bin, they probably won't charge much. Or take
them a piece of plate from your local scrap dealer. It will be better
than any c.i. you can buy or cast and a lot better than anything you
could weld.

You assume there *is* a local fab shop ... the closest we have is a small
CNC shop that makes widgets for the gov't or something . "NO we do NOT do
small job shop stuff."

Well, as I said, that's what *I'd* do. g There are two shops with
laser plate cutters within a five-minute drive for me.

--
Ed Huntress