Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default The aftermath ...

On Wed, 06 Jan 2016 10:01:00 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Gunner Asch on Tue, 05 Jan 2016 14:36:39 -0800
On Tue, 05 Jan 2016 11:20:36 -0600, Tim Wescott
wrote:

On Mon, 04 Jan 2016 17:03:50 -0600, Terry Coombs wrote:

I returned those grates today , with an apology for not being able to
repair them . His response was that they'd last until the pile of wood
he has is gone then he's going over to LP gas . And then he asked me how
much he owed me ... and I told him I don't charge unless I actually do
the job ,
we're square and I'll see you next time I need a bottle filled (he's my
CG supplier too) . I consider the small amounts spent for gasses and
supplies are a cheap lesson .
Many thanks to those that posted helpful suggestions , your
contributions
are a part of that lesson .

I've been following your threads on this, and in the latest one about
trying to weld burnt steel, I was wondering if it wouldn't be quicker and
more effective to cobble together a cupola furnace or some such and cast
them new.

Just because...

Or simply weld a new one out of bars of SS from the scrap bin at the
metal yard

Well, yeah, but where's the fun in that?

I mean, when casting news grates, one gets to try all sorts of new
things. It's "rec.metalworking" after all.

True indeed. If one wants to cast a new one...by all means. Wax
casting might be a good method. All one needs is 40 lbs of wax, lots
of green sand, casting box, and someway to melt down humm..50 lbs of
cast iron and then pour it into the mold. Simple!!!

And one could use the old one as a direct pattern!!