Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default The aftermath ...

Gunner Asch on Tue, 05 Jan 2016 14:36:39 -0800
On Tue, 05 Jan 2016 11:20:36 -0600, Tim Wescott
wrote:

On Mon, 04 Jan 2016 17:03:50 -0600, Terry Coombs wrote:

I returned those grates today , with an apology for not being able to
repair them . His response was that they'd last until the pile of wood
he has is gone then he's going over to LP gas . And then he asked me how
much he owed me ... and I told him I don't charge unless I actually do
the job ,
we're square and I'll see you next time I need a bottle filled (he's my
CG supplier too) . I consider the small amounts spent for gasses and
supplies are a cheap lesson .
Many thanks to those that posted helpful suggestions , your
contributions
are a part of that lesson .

I've been following your threads on this, and in the latest one about
trying to weld burnt steel, I was wondering if it wouldn't be quicker and
more effective to cobble together a cupola furnace or some such and cast
them new.

Just because...

Or simply weld a new one out of bars of SS from the scrap bin at the
metal yard

Well, yeah, but where's the fun in that?

I mean, when casting news grates, one gets to try all sorts of new
things. It's "rec.metalworking" after all.
--
pyotr
Job creation and destruction are both relentless.