Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default The aftermath ...

Tim Wescott wrote:

I've been following your threads on this, and in the latest one about
trying to weld burnt steel, I was wondering if it wouldn't be quicker and
more effective to cobble together a cupola furnace or some such and cast
them new.

If the rest of that stove was in great condition, then this would make
sense. We have some guys here who have graduated from aluminum casting up
to iron and built several cupolas. I don't know a whole lot about that, but
i do seem to remember that they had several adventures with it before they
got it to work well. I think they do about one pouring session a year with
it, and accumulate seveal patterns to pour when they do it.

Jon