Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default New steel I don't recognize

I got in a hurry on a job, and had to run 10-mi to the scrapyard for some
heavy 4" angle, rather than driving the 80-mile round-trip to the only
distributor around. It ended up being some 9.8lb/ft 4x4 angle (so,
pretty heavy angle, 3/8" flanges).

They had only one piece that would suit: It was obviously hot-dip
galvanized (no problem in itself), had cut ends (after galvanizing), and
had sat in the yard, in the weather (wet) for weeks to months before I
rescued it.

It welds perfectly with mild steel MIG wire and CO2. Did some test welds
before comitting to all the cutwork I needed to do on it. It made clean,
smooth, STRONG welds that I could not break even bending the piece at the
weld... it just bent there, being just a line-weld, and thinner than the
flange.

'Funny thing, though, none of the few gouges and dings in it had even a
trace of rust. Neither did the cut ends ??? I did some fresh cuts,
exposed them to overnight dew and 85F temps (just to see), and not a SIGN
of corrosion.

Hmmm... I'm not familiar with the alloy. It's obviously NOT any of the
3xx series stainless I often work with, and although those will braze,
and will weld Eh..OK with mild steel wire, they don't usually produce as
strong a weld as the base metal. It's also as strongly magnetic as A36
would be.

My experience has been that when heavily galvanized members like this
show up in the scrapyard, they've often come from power company pull-
downs.

Has anybody worked with a steel that demonstrates these properties? I
think I'd like to find more of it! G

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 08 Oct 2015 13:59:42 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

[...]

I have not and I have no clue about what it is, but keep in mind that
A36 is a very loose specification, traditionally based on strength and
weldability, with only slipshod nods to ductility, etc. For years, it
didn't even specify the alloy.

And a piece of rolled angle, unless it's a documented grade, could be
almost anything.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress fired this volley in
:

but keep in mind that
A36 is a very loose specification, traditionally based on strength and
weldability, with only slipshod nods to ductility, etc.

All I said was it was a strongly-magnetic as A36. I made NO other
comparisons to it. ???

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

I've heard of smearing when galvanized sheet steel is cut with a shear.
Which I'm sure you have too.... From a little bit of searching I found
this that may explain it some:

http://www.astm.org/SNEWS/APRIL_2006...ide_apr06.html

Should make more sense to you with your background... but the gist I
get is that even though you exposed untreated metal the treatment
still close by is somewhat protecting it (shrug).

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 08 Oct 2015 14:32:08 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Ed Huntress fired this volley in
:

but keep in mind that
A36 is a very loose specification, traditionally based on strength and
weldability, with only slipshod nods to ductility, etc.

All I said was it was a strongly-magnetic as A36. I made NO other
comparisons to it. ???

But that's the steel used for the majority of non-certified structural
shapes. The point is that you can't tell what the alloy is,
specifically, even if you suspect it's A36. If its galvanized, it's
nothing fancy, and A36 or some other non-grade that's even lower on
the totem pole is likely.

It could contain some nickel, or even some chromium, if it's a random
mess of remelt. It isn't some rust-resistant alloy if it's galvanized.
I'm sure you know that even a broken coating of zinc is somewhat
protective even at 1/8 in. or so from the zinc.

--
Ed Huntress

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk fired this volley in news:mv6gr3$j1q$1
@dont-email.me:

http://www.astm.org/SNEWS/APRIL_2006...ide_apr06.html

That explains a number of things I know about coatings, but doesn't explain
this. The material is thick enough not to allow smearing, especially when
it's being cut by a saw.

This stuff corrodes (doesn't) like stainless, but welds and cuts like
ordinary structural steel! It's not a problem... but an opportunity to
learn something new. FWIW, even the saw-cuttings don't rust!

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress fired this volley in
:

Geesh, Ed. You've drawn conclusions based on things I never wrote.

If you cannot be helpful, how about not 'helping'?

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 1:08:48 PM UTC-7, Uncle Loud wrote:

Geesh, Ed. You've drawn conclusions based on things I never wrote.

If you cannot be helpful, how about not 'helping'?

Lloyd

Uncle Loud finally gets something right. It's pretty rare when this happens. Sort of like a stopped clock being right 2x a day. :)

slow eddy pretends to be an expert at everything.

slow eddy is a liar and a fraud.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Any chance that scrapyard, or any other within whatever your
curiosity-driven driving distance tolerance is, has one of those handheld
x-ray fluorescence analyzers that will tell you the composition? Or is
there a 4 year college nearby? If so, call the chemistry department and ask
who teaches the undergraduate instrumental analysis course and when they
have their office hours and pay them a visit with a sample they can use in
the course as an unknown, along with an appropriate beverage :-). If those
don't work and you really want to know, I'm sure you can find online
companies that will do the analysis for real $$$.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 08 Oct 2015 15:08:45 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Ed Huntress fired this volley in
:

Geesh, Ed. You've drawn conclusions based on things I never wrote.

If you cannot be helpful, how about not 'helping'?

Lloyd

No problem,. Lloyd! I look forward to hearing what you learn about
your rust-resistant steel angle...that's hot-dip galvanized.

Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 13:20:48 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer
wrote:

On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 1:08:48 PM UTC-7, Uncle Loud wrote:

Geesh, Ed. You've drawn conclusions based on things I never wrote.

If you cannot be helpful, how about not 'helping'?

Lloyd

Uncle Loud finally gets something right. It's pretty rare when this happens. Sort of like a stopped clock being right 2x a day. :)

slow eddy pretends to be an expert at everything.

slow eddy is a liar and a fraud.

(the little weasel lies in wait behind his trash can, waiting for
something to go by that he can jump on and bite...but two of his
antagonists show up at once...which ankle should he go for? There's
Uncle Loud, and nsf Eddie...juicy ankles on both...decisions,
decisions...

Ed has been particularly tough on the little weasel lately. Let's go
bite him!)

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Carl Ijames" fired this volley in
:

If so, call the chemistry department and ask
who teaches the undergraduate instrumental analysis course and when
they have their office hours and pay them a visit with a sample they
can use in the course as an unknown, along with an appropriate
beverage :-).

Good idea! No, the scrapyard is not one of that sort (ultra-redneck-
true-'junkyard' sort of business).

But I have a college with a good materials sciences department just 25
miles away.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress fired this volley in
:

No problem,. Lloyd! I look forward to hearing what you learn about
your rust-resistant steel angle...that's hot-dip galvanized.

Me too, or I wouldn't have asked! G

(yeah... which ankle to bite! Didn't see jonqueer's post, but I saw your
reply! G)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 08 Oct 2015 16:00:13 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Ed Huntress fired this volley in
:

No problem,. Lloyd! I look forward to hearing what you learn about
your rust-resistant steel angle...that's hot-dip galvanized.

Me too, or I wouldn't have asked! G

(yeah... which ankle to bite! Didn't see jonqueer's post, but I saw your
reply! G)

He's a target-rich subject. g

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Carl Ijames" wrote in message
[...]

http://www.scrapmetaljunkie.com/241/...sting-metals-2

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If you get serious about finding the contents of a metal (~$60 =
serious), try the yellow pages under, I believe, labortories, for
a company that tests material. The pertinnent test is labeled a
"metals test". This is a spark with some spectrum analysis equipment and
the ability of determining what metals and at what concentration exist
from the various metalic signatures.
It's been about 10 years since I had one of these test made but my
memory is that fishing for the lowest price weeded some talkalot
companies.

Hul

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 1:33:19 PM UTC-7, slow eddy lied and faild:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 2:00:16 PM UTC-7, Uncle Loud failed:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 2:19:36 PM UTC-7, slow eddy the fraud who claims to be an expert in everything lied:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 16:27:47 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer
wrote:

On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 2:00:16 PM UTC-7, Uncle Loud failed:

Failed at what? All he did was grin, you moron. It looks like he
succeeded.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Any scrap yard with a XRF gun can scan it.

My guess is that it is just carbon steel, and it did NOT sit around
for months and that is why it is not rusted where it was cut.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus20635 fired this volley in
:

My guess is that it is just carbon steel, and it did NOT sit around
for months and that is why it is not rusted where it was cut.

I can assure you it did, Ig. I dug it out of wet dirt; One end was
exposed (which was how I found it), the other end almost 3" below the
surface! The soil was thoroughly-compacted around it. It's been soaking-
wet here for months; rain almost every day, and temps in the mid 90s.

Besides, the 'dew test' I gave it would have rusted any common structural
steel overnight. Even when bare steel things stay 'dry' here, they rust
overnight if not in an AC'd environment! It's Florida. G

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 4:44:54 PM UTC-7, slow eddy tried to run away from the fact that he pretends to be an expert on everything and failed miserably:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 17:32:18 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer
wrote:

On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 4:44:54 PM UTC-7, slow eddy tried to run away from the fact that he pretends to be an expert on everything and failed miserably:

Projecting again, eh, Jonny? You really could use some couch time.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 5:38:53 PM UTC-7, slow eddy the lying, fraud failed again:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That is good info. Scrap yards could have exotic steel from a local
chemical (beer, cyno..., Physics lab, etc, chemical co) infrastructure
that was changed and the old was scrapped.

Martin

On 10/8/2015 5:38 PM, Hul Tytus wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 2:59:45 PM UTC-4, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

They had only one piece that would suit: It was obviously hot-dip
galvanized (no problem in itself), had cut ends (after galvanizing), and
had sat in the yard, in the weather (wet) for weeks to months before I
rescued it.

Has anybody worked with a steel that demonstrates these properties? I
think I'd like to find more of it! G

Lloyd

My guess is that it is one of the structural steels and the fact that it does not rust is because it is hot dipped galvanized. After all why would they have galvanized it , if it would not rust without the galvanizing. My wild guess is that it is something like A709-HPS70W or A852.

If you can not get an analysis at your local college, let me know. The local scrap yard has a XRF analyser and I think I could get them to test a sample. The sample would have to have the galvanizing removed.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 1:08:48 PM UTC-7, Uncle Loud wrote:

Geesh, Ed. You've drawn conclusions based on things I never wrote.

If you cannot be helpful, how about not 'helping'?

Lloyd

Uncle Loud finally gets something right. It's pretty rare when this happens. Sort of like a stopped clock being right 2x a day. :)

slow eddy pretends to be an expert at everything.

slow eddy is a liar and a fraud.

(the little weasel lies in wait behind his trash can, waiting for
something to go by that he can jump on and bite...but two of his
antagonists show up at once...which ankle should he go for? There's
Uncle Loud, and nsf Eddie...juicy ankles on both...decisions,
decisions...

Ed has been particularly tough on the little weasel lately. Let's go
bite him!)

When I was a kid and used to have to "do the chores" we had a rooster
that used to lie in wait behind the hen house and when you would come
by with a bucket to water the chickens would come screaming out,
flapping his wings, and attack you. The first and second time it
happened I dropped the pail and ran but the third time I carried a
length of 1 x 4 and teed off (with a 1 x 4 club you can hit a tee shot
on a chicken and get about a 6 feet drive :-). The rooster never
bothered me again.

Which goes show that I am some what smarter than a rooster and jon is
somewhat dumber, as he keeps coming back for more :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 7:58:46 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:

When I was a kid and used to have to "do the chores" we had a rooster
that used to lie in wait behind the hen house and when you would come
by with a bucket to water the chickens would come screaming out,
flapping his wings, and attack you. The first and second time it
happened I dropped the pail and ran but the third time I carried a
length of 1 x 4 and teed off (with a 1 x 4 club you can hit a tee shot
on a chicken and get about a 6 feet drive :-). The rooster never
bothered me again.

Which goes show that I am some what smarter than a rooster and jon is
somewhat dumber, as he keeps coming back for more :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

What is shows is that morons like you need to suck up and be in a clique of idiots because you can't stand on your own and need constant affirmation.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" fired this volley in
:

My guess is that it is one of the structural steels and the fact that
it does not rust is because it is hot dipped galvanized.

Don... freshly-cut ends and ground areas do not rust, either! That was in
the original post...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Good story. My wife, who was raised in central Illinois and who spent
summers on her grandparents' farm, said that she was never afraid of
the pigs. She was afraid of the chickens. It was their beady little
eyes and the aggressive roosters that scared her.

If you saw a comparison with Bonkers, the difference is that
clobbering him with a 2x4 wouldn't stop him. He has no sense in that
regard. You just have to keep whacking him.

But he makes himself such an easy target that it's not very
challenging. It's just a pain in the neck.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 20:47:18 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer
wrote:

On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 7:58:46 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:

When I was a kid and used to have to "do the chores" we had a rooster
that used to lie in wait behind the hen house and when you would come
by with a bucket to water the chickens would come screaming out,
flapping his wings, and attack you. The first and second time it
happened I dropped the pail and ran but the third time I carried a
length of 1 x 4 and teed off (with a 1 x 4 club you can hit a tee shot
on a chicken and get about a 6 feet drive :-). The rooster never
bothered me again.

Which goes show that I am some what smarter than a rooster and jon is
somewhat dumber, as he keeps coming back for more :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

What is shows is...

That you invoke comparisons with annoying and biting little animals.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, October 9, 2015 at 6:44:38 AM UTC-4, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
" fired this volley in
:

My guess is that it is one of the structural steels and the fact that
it does not rust is because it is hot dipped galvanized.

Don... freshly-cut ends and ground areas do not rust, either! That was in
the original post...

So if the fresh cut ends do not rust, why did they bother to galvanize it?

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 04:33:45 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Friday, October 9, 2015 at 6:44:38 AM UTC-4, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
" fired this volley in
:

My guess is that it is one of the structural steels and the fact that
it does not rust is because it is hot dipped galvanized.

Don... freshly-cut ends and ground areas do not rust, either! That was in
the original post...

So if the fresh cut ends do not rust, why did they bother to galvanize it?

Dan

I'm interested to see what Lloyd's analysts say, but a couple of
points: First, galvanizing prevents rust not, primarily, by forming a
barrier, but by creating a galvanic cell with the ferrous metal, and
the galvanic protection can extend for 1/8" or more into cut areas.
You can really see this on marine hardware that's been nicked up. Even
exposed to salt water, those bare spots and edges of steel don't rust
much.

Second, your point is the one that prompted me to write that
(unwelcome) post to Lloyd. They don't galvanize rust-resistant alloys.

I'm betting that it's some plain-carbon alloy -- either a clean piece
of mild steel, as Iggy suggested, or, much more likely just based on
what simple structural shapes are usually made of, some loosely
specified structural alloy (A36, etc.). It could also be Chinese or
American re-melt junque -- one of the non-grades of scrap re-melt,
like the railroad rails used for bedframe steel, or the dregs used to
make coat hangers.

Most structural steel is pretty much crap, to a machinist or a
fabricator.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" fired this volley in
:

So if the fresh cut ends do not rust, why did they bother to galvanize
it?

Umm.... If I knew that, then I'd not have asked!

I'm going to do another 'wet' experiment, this time with salt in the wound.
It could be this stuff was prepared for a marine environment, although I
don't recall the use of gavanizing from when I was in the Navy.

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 07:19:51 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

" fired this volley in
:

So if the fresh cut ends do not rust, why did they bother to galvanize
it?

Umm.... If I knew that, then I'd not have asked!

I'm going to do another 'wet' experiment, this time with salt in the wound.
It could be this stuff was prepared for a marine environment, although I
don't recall the use of gavanizing from when I was in the Navy.

Lloyd

Work boats often have galvanized fittings. Yachts are stainless and
bronze. Small pleasure boats have a lot of aluminum.

The navy goes its own way. g

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Well... got out to the shop this a.m. to find something different.

Last night, I sparked out a piece, and it looked for all the world like
just ordinary structural steel. A piece of A36 next to it made the same
sparks... BUT... for a long time (a couple of seconds of grinding...) no
sparks.

So today, I took it back in the shop, mic'd a flange, then ground lightly
just until I saw the first sparks, and mic'd it again. There's darned-
near 15 mils of zinc on this stuff!

Further, I had treated a cut end last night with potassium nitrate/water
slurry. This a.m. there WAS some visible rust on the cut surface. The
untreated cutoffs I left out in the dew, now, for two nights are still
pristine.

So, even though these flanges are about 3/8" thick, I guess I'll have to
go with Ed's surmise that the 'galvanic cell' process is keeping the cut
edges from rusting, unless otherwise accelerated to do so.

Huh! I guess I just got a lesson in how good at its job GOOD galvanizing
can be!

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 4.170...
[...]

Maybe the soil contained some rust inhibitor that came from the scrap.
Were other cut ends rusty?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in news:mv8esf$f5i$1
@dont-email.me:

Maybe the soil contained some rust inhibitor that came from the scrap.
Were other cut ends rusty?

Everything in the yard but this one piece and a piece of 300-series were
rusted all to hell. And my cut-ends that were not abused with the nitrate
have still not shown a trace of corrosion.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, October 9, 2015 at 9:11:30 AM UTC-4, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

Huh! I guess I just got a lesson in how good at its job GOOD galvanizing
can be!

LLoyd

I found some references to using an aluminum zinc alloy for coating as well as a reference to a iron zinc alloy for coating. But did not find anything that compared those alloys to plain old galvanizing.

Dan