Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default New steel I don't recognize

On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 08:11:25 -0500
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Well... got out to the shop this a.m. to find something different.

Last night, I sparked out a piece, and it looked for all the world like
just ordinary structural steel. A piece of A36 next to it made the same
sparks... BUT... for a long time (a couple of seconds of grinding...) no
sparks.

So today, I took it back in the shop, mic'd a flange, then ground lightly
just until I saw the first sparks, and mic'd it again. There's darned-
near 15 mils of zinc on this stuff!

Further, I had treated a cut end last night with potassium nitrate/water
slurry. This a.m. there WAS some visible rust on the cut surface. The
untreated cutoffs I left out in the dew, now, for two nights are still
pristine.

So, even though these flanges are about 3/8" thick, I guess I'll have to
go with Ed's surmise that the 'galvanic cell' process is keeping the cut
edges from rusting, unless otherwise accelerated to do so.

Huh! I guess I just got a lesson in how good at its job GOOD galvanizing
can be!

LLoyd

Maybe try stripping all the galvanize off a test piece and then see how
fast/much that rusts?

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk fired this volley in news:mv8v2m$pn$1
@dont-email.me:

Maybe try stripping all the galvanize off a test piece and then see how
fast/much that rusts?

Heh! Not worth the trouble! All I needed was a couple of heavy mount
brackets for a pyrotechnic mold, and was surprised by the behavior of this
piece.

I think it's solved.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My bet is the zinc is acting like an anode and absorbing all of the
oxygen that would do the rusting. Just like an anode on your boat to
keep it from melting away. It melts away.

Martin

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 07:19:51 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

" fired this volley in
:

So if the fresh cut ends do not rust, why did they bother to galvanize
it?

Umm.... If I knew that, then I'd not have asked!

I'm going to do another 'wet' experiment, this time with salt in the wound.
It could be this stuff was prepared for a marine environment, although I
don't recall the use of gavanizing from when I was in the Navy.

Lloyd

To me it sounds like racking for switchgear or high voltage
transmission towers. The crossbeams that hold the insulators are
generally heavily hot dip galvanized .
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, October 9, 2015 at 4:10:50 AM UTC-7, slow eddy failed:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, October 9, 2015 at 4:09:36 AM UTC-7, slow eddy lied: