Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anyne can recognize this?

Any idea what it is, it is incredibly cute.

http://goo.gl/IQlnSm
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/4/2014 9:24 PM, Ignoramus13687 wrote:
Any idea what it is, it is incredibly cute.

http://goo.gl/IQlnSm

press. On the rod where a chunk of material would be placed is
there an impression ? - is that a die ?

Put a chunk of wax or something and press it lightly.
See what happens - looks maybe another item..

Is it a grommet press ? button swag or Blue jean - metal grommet press...

Looks neat and ready for a semi-production line.

Leather works or such.

Martin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 21:24:55 -0500, Ignoramus13687
wrote:

Any idea what it is, it is incredibly cute.

http://goo.gl/IQlnSm

Just darlin'! What do the adjustments cause to happen?
The knurled knob on the top right, does it rotate and could it have
been driven by a belt? What about the lever in front/bottom? Does it
allow/cause the pedestal to rotate?

--
It is characteristic of all deep human problems that they are
not to be approached without some humor and some bewilderment.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-06-05, Martin Eastburn wrote:
On 6/4/2014 9:24 PM, Ignoramus13687 wrote:
Any idea what it is, it is incredibly cute.

http://goo.gl/IQlnSm

press. On the rod where a chunk of material would be placed is
there an impression ? - is that a die ?

Put a chunk of wax or something and press it lightly.
See what happens - looks maybe another item..

Is it a grommet press ? button swag or Blue jean - metal grommet press...

Or perhaps a press for eyelets for printed circuit boards from
before plateed-through holes were common? Or turret terminals on
component boards?

Maybe for seating a hand on a dial indicator or a watch?

No other views posted?

Details of the rod and the head might help.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in
:

On 2014-06-05, Martin Eastburn wrote:
On 6/4/2014 9:24 PM, Ignoramus13687 wrote:
Any idea what it is, it is incredibly cute.

http://goo.gl/IQlnSm

press. On the rod where a chunk of material would be placed is
there an impression ? - is that a die ?

Put a chunk of wax or something and press it lightly.
See what happens - looks maybe another item..

Is it a grommet press ? button swag or Blue jean - metal grommet press...

Or perhaps a press for eyelets for printed circuit boards from
before plateed-through holes were common? Or turret terminals on
component boards?

I'm sure it's much older than that. I'm guessing 1940s at the latest.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

more pix here

http://yabe.chudov.com/UNKNOWN-SURFACE-TESTER-14671/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-06-05, Doug Miller wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" wrote in
:

On 2014-06-05, Martin Eastburn wrote:
On 6/4/2014 9:24 PM, Ignoramus13687 wrote:
Any idea what it is, it is incredibly cute.

http://goo.gl/IQlnSm

press. On the rod where a chunk of material would be placed is
there an impression ? - is that a die ?

Put a chunk of wax or something and press it lightly.
See what happens - looks maybe another item..

Is it a grommet press ? button swag or Blue jean - metal grommet press...

Or perhaps a press for eyelets for printed circuit boards from
before plateed-through holes were common? Or turret terminals on
component boards?

I'm sure it's much older than that. I'm guessing 1940s at the latest.

O.K. Not for printed circuit boards -- but for mil-spec
electronics, there were Bakelite or Phenolic boards (usually fiber
reinforced) which had a number of turret terminals staked into the two
long edges of the board. Normally, components (resistors and smaller
capacitors) were soldered between the top layer of the two turret
terminals on opposite sides of the board, and the wires leading off to
elsewhere were soldered to the lower level of the turret terminal.

This URL:

http://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/partgroup/turret-terminals-keystone-electronics/23324

(eventually) brings up a three-layer turret terminal. Click the right
arrow five times, and you get the kind I was thinking about. The
cylindrical section shown towards you goes through a hole in the board,
and the near end is swaged outwards to hold it in place.

O.K. Digikey part number: 1593-2, which takes us to:

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?mpart=1593-2&vendor=36

bTW It looks as though the lever on the side of the base raises the
round platform into contact with the tooling above. I would
like to see more detailed photos of the tooling above.

These turret terminals need support from below and a swaging
terminal from above. I've used both small modified arbor
presses to install them -- and (in the late 1950s) a rather
scary tool, which had a killer solenoid to bring down the swage
tool when you touched a foot pedal. I was young, and did not
trust it at all. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

O.K. Not for printed circuit boards -- but for mil-spec
electronics, there were Bakelite or Phenolic boards (usually fiber
reinforced) which had a number of turret terminals staked into the
two
long edges of the board. Normally, components (resistors and
smaller
capacitors) were soldered between the top layer of the two turret
terminals on opposite sides of the board, and the wires leading off
elsewhere were soldered to the lower level of the turret terminal.

I used those in the 1970's in one-off high-voltage circuits for a
custom test equipment maker. Several hits with a spring-loaded center
punch staked them in place securely. IIRC I rolled the open end down
against the board with the punch for shoelace-sized eyelets from my
camping gear sewing kit. That's when I started wishing for a metal
lathe.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SnA SnA is offline

Ignoramus13687 wrote:
Any idea what it is, it is incredibly cute.

http://goo.gl/IQlnSm

It's a Miller Lite beer can. 12 ouncer based on the size of the leather
punch beside it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-06-06, SnA wrote:
Ignoramus13687 wrote:
Any idea what it is, it is incredibly cute.

http://goo.gl/IQlnSm

It's a Miller Lite beer can. 12 ouncer based on the size of the leather
punch beside it.

Awesome! Thanks! Great sense of humor too!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-06-06, Ignoramus30385 wrote:
more pix here

http://yabe.chudov.com/UNKNOWN-SURFACE-TESTER-14671/

O.K. I really meant close-ups, with the assembly on the head
filling the frame. I've saved one of the frontal images, and cropped and
zoomed to try to make sense of that. (The rest is pretty clear, the
lever on the base raises the round platform. The lever on the side at
the top of the support collar from the base allows the column to be slid
up and down before locking -- and to be rotted to bring the probe more
centered over the platform. The knob on the back of the ram either
allows the ram to be rotated to tilt the head, or moves the head in and
out relative to the column. I'm not sure about the thumbscrew on the far
side of the base, though it might release the round platform to allow it
to be removed and replaced -- or allow it to rotate or not.

But zooming in to the actual head is indeed interesting. It
looks as though there is some form of oil pump in the head -- or is this
simply a series of links to allow it to be moved around relative to the
round platform? I should have saved a side image while I was at the web
page. O.K. Re-visited.

Is that collector of black or blued steel a link which folds out
and in to allow positioning the spindle over parts of the round table?

It looks to me as though the top of it is designed to clamp on a
dial indicator.

More details of the bottom of the spindle would also help. It
looks like it is intended to press something into the workpiece, and
seeing a bottom end view of it might give extra clues. The center part
of it probably couples to the (missing) dial indicator, to allow the
proer amount of press in.

But show us the bottom of the spindle, and how much the linkage
at the top of the head flexes, and maybe we can come up with something
or other.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-06-06, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

O.K. Not for printed circuit boards -- but for mil-spec
electronics, there were Bakelite or Phenolic boards (usually fiber
reinforced) which had a number of turret terminals staked into the
two
long edges of the board.

[ ... ]

I used those in the 1970's in one-off high-voltage circuits for a
custom test equipment maker. Several hits with a spring-loaded center
punch staked them in place securely. IIRC I rolled the open end down
against the board with the punch for shoelace-sized eyelets from my
camping gear sewing kit. That's when I started wishing for a metal
lathe.

I've been known to use a 1/4" ball bearing and a hammer. :-)

The proper tool, not only is turned to form the roll properly,
but it is also polished to minimize friction and drag marks on the
metal which might weaken it. So add to the lathe (which you now have,
no doubt) a Dremel a felt point and some jeweler's rouge. :-) Start with
a hardenable metal, shape it and harden it, and then polish it.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-06-05, Martin Eastburn wrote:
On 6/4/2014 9:24 PM, Ignoramus13687 wrote:
Any idea what it is, it is incredibly cute.

http://goo.gl/IQlnSm

press. On the rod where a chunk of material would be placed is
there an impression ? - is that a die ?

Put a chunk of wax or something and press it lightly.
See what happens - looks maybe another item..

Is it a grommet press ? button swag or Blue jean - metal grommet press...

Or perhaps a press for eyelets for printed circuit boards from
before plateed-through holes were common? Or turret terminals on
component boards?

Maybe for seating a hand on a dial indicator or a watch?

No other views posted?

Details of the rod and the head might help.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Now that there are more and better pictures I know what the device
does. It checks bores. So it is some type of bore gauge. The indicator
is missing of course but also maybe missing is a rod that runs through
the center of the plunger. Looking again at the picture it looks like
the rod is there. Anyway, you can see where the plunger is split and
at the top there is an oval hole through the plunger and on either
side of the oval hole metal has been machined away so that the split
plunger can close up easily when inserted into a hole. When the
plunger is inserted into a hole and the end collapses a little it
pushes the rod inside the plunger up. The end of the rod is tapered so
that the plunger squeezing it causes it to rise. The rise is then
measured wuth an indicator. I don't know what all the other stuff on
the top is for but it is ultimately a tool for measuring bores in a
controlled fashion. The part to be measured is placed on the round
table which is raised with the lever. I'm sure the operator would not
be touching part when it was measured and this would tend to remove
any influence from the operator on the indicated dimension.
Eric