Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anyne can recognize this?

On 2014-06-05, Doug Miller wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" wrote in
:

On 2014-06-05, Martin Eastburn wrote:
On 6/4/2014 9:24 PM, Ignoramus13687 wrote:
Any idea what it is, it is incredibly cute.

http://goo.gl/IQlnSm

press. On the rod where a chunk of material would be placed is
there an impression ? - is that a die ?

Put a chunk of wax or something and press it lightly.
See what happens - looks maybe another item..

Is it a grommet press ? button swag or Blue jean - metal grommet press...

Or perhaps a press for eyelets for printed circuit boards from
before plateed-through holes were common? Or turret terminals on
component boards?

I'm sure it's much older than that. I'm guessing 1940s at the latest.

O.K. Not for printed circuit boards -- but for mil-spec
electronics, there were Bakelite or Phenolic boards (usually fiber
reinforced) which had a number of turret terminals staked into the two
long edges of the board. Normally, components (resistors and smaller
capacitors) were soldered between the top layer of the two turret
terminals on opposite sides of the board, and the wires leading off to
elsewhere were soldered to the lower level of the turret terminal.

This URL:

http://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/partgroup/turret-terminals-keystone-electronics/23324

(eventually) brings up a three-layer turret terminal. Click the right
arrow five times, and you get the kind I was thinking about. The
cylindrical section shown towards you goes through a hole in the board,
and the near end is swaged outwards to hold it in place.

O.K. Digikey part number: 1593-2, which takes us to:

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?mpart=1593-2&vendor=36

bTW It looks as though the lever on the side of the base raises the
round platform into contact with the tooling above. I would
like to see more detailed photos of the tooling above.

These turret terminals need support from below and a swaging
terminal from above. I've used both small modified arbor
presses to install them -- and (in the late 1950s) a rather
scary tool, which had a killer solenoid to bring down the swage
tool when you touched a foot pedal. I was young, and did not
trust it at all. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--