Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Does Anybody Recognize this Collet?

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 11:42:55 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

I opened up the closer on my Yuasa Speeder this morning for the first time
and found this. I think the guy I bought it from might have mentioned
this,
but I don't recall. The broken part looks similar to an AccuraFlex
collet.
I have some larger ones for one of my collet chucks. It doesn't look
exactly the same (size not withstanding) though.

Anybody know what collet that is? Is it a Yuasa only part?

It still works to clamp the collet/holder that actually holds the end
mill,
but it would be nice to have one that isn't broken.

Picture Files:
http://www.yumabassman.com/collets/

Smaller Picture Files:
http://www.yumabassman.com/collets/Forum%20Size/

Bob..without measurements..its hard to tell..but this may be of help
to you.

www.hardinge.com/usr/pdf/collet/2287Cchp2to5.pdf

Hardinge makes every collet in the world you can think off..Im sure
you can find the part and type number/designation

Cool thanks. I'll see if that gets me there.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 13:37:40 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

let me know, I have the same speeder and collets, haven't needed to
find another (yet)

Karl

If I find an answer I will post it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in message
news:wsidnSCzy5ivEXXMnZ2dnUVZ_hednZ2d@scnresearch. com...

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I opened up the closer on my Yuasa Speeder this morning for the first time
and found this. I think the guy I bought it from might have mentioned
this,
but I don't recall. The broken part looks similar to an AccuraFlex
collet.
I have some larger ones for one of my collet chucks. It doesn't look
exactly the same (size not withstanding) though.

Anybody know what collet that is? Is it a Yuasa only part?

It still works to clamp the collet/holder that actually holds the end
mill,
but it would be nice to have one that isn't broken.

Picture Files:
http://www.yumabassman.com/collets/

Smaller Picture Files:
http://www.yumabassman.com/collets/Forum%20Size/

http://tinyurl.com/n6ao836

The Nikken SK Collets look like they might be the ticket. Thank you very
much. I'll do some more looking.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete Keillor" wrote in message

wrote:

m...
wrote:

[...]

Hardinge can be good for identifying a collet. However, their prices
are (choke) a little rich. The obsolete B3 collets for my old
Bridgeport M head (not in service yet) are about $175 ea. Luckily, I
was able to get a used handful a while back.

Pete Keillor

While I would choke on that price, its still a lot cheaper than buying a new
speeder.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Looks like a lot like a TG or SK collet.

A quick check with a caliper shows an overall length of about 1.09 (apx)
inches long, and a maximum diameter of about .630 (apx) inches at the
shoulder.

I really need a 3/8 (.375) collet, as its used to hold smaller straight
collets (measure .370 to .372 in this application, but if you don't want to
much money for them I'ld buy some smaller ones as well.

Here is the picture location again:

wrote:

[...]

If not..take some dimensions and Ill see what I can pull up. I know I
have collets of that type..but a smaller family.

They are often found in milling machine tool holders.

I want to say its an AF type (Acura Flex) but they could also be a TG
type

Im sure some commercial machinist will pull the name up right quick
after they all check in.

But this will give you some idea of what to look for in the Hardinge
book.

They should also be readily available on Ebay.

Gunner

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in message
news:_7CdneKN3Z2BMHXMnZ2dnUVZ_sidnZ2d@scnresearch. com...

[...]

I didn't look very close at your pics, just thought I'd toss that
out....you can probably find dimensions if you poke around.

Also, pretty much everybidy is familiar with the tg100 collets but there
is also smaller true grip series that's known as tg75 and tg50...that
said, Yuasa probably would not have used an Erickson collet nose so I'm
leaning heavily towards the SK.

This one is only about 1.090 inches long and .630 diameter at the shoulder.
The shoulder dimension could be off since I have to hold it against a
straight collet to measure it.

It seems to be shorter than the SK10 and longer than the SK6
http://www.lyndexnikken.com/products...idCategory=826

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in message

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in message
news:_7CdneKN3Z2BMHXMnZ2dnUVZ_sidnZ2d@scnresearch. com...

you can probably find dimensions if you poke around.

http://www.tools-n-gizmos.com/specs.html

I just dropped an e-mail to Steve a few minutes ago. LOL.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in message
news:PK6dnX7OI7hMF3TMnZ2dnUVZ_jmdnZ2d@scnresearch. com...

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in message

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in
message
news:_7CdneKN3Z2BMHXMnZ2dnUVZ_sidnZ2d@scnresearch. com...

you can probably find dimensions if you poke around.

http://www.tools-n-gizmos.com/specs.html

I just dropped an e-mail to Steve a few minutes ago. LOL.

I would suggest you make an attempt at contacting Yuasa as well.

I dropped an email off to Ed Smith yesterday. He actually sent me service
sheets and exploded diagrams for the speeder a while back. On the sheet it
just says "collet" though.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I opened up the closer on my Yuasa Speeder this morning for the first time
and found this. I think the guy I bought it from might have mentioned
this, but I don't recall. The broken part looks similar to an AccuraFlex
collet. I have some larger ones for one of my collet chucks. It doesn't
look exactly the same (size not withstanding) though.

Anybody know what collet that is? Is it a Yuasa only part?

It still works to clamp the collet/holder that actually holds the end
mill, but it would be nice to have one that isn't broken.

Picture Files:
http://www.yumabassman.com/collets/

Smaller Picture Files:
http://www.yumabassman.com/collets/Forum%20Size/

Upon further research (looking at pictures on-line) I begin to think it is
not an AF collet. The AF collets appear to have a tapered shoulder, and
this has a square shoulder.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Oh Crom..one NEVER buys collets from Hardinge unless you are in the
business and can bill it to the client. But their paperwork is pretty
good for reviewing

Gunner

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of
repeating some stupid, meaningless phrase a billion times" Arms for
hostages, arms for hostages, arms for hostages, it's just about sex, just
about sex, just about sex, dumb,dumb, money in politics,money in
politics, Enron, Enron, Enron. Nothing repeated with mind-numbing
frequency in all major news outlets will not be believed by some members
of the populace. It is the permanence of evil; you can't stop it." (Ann
Coulter)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I forwarded the photos and the information to a number of my
cohorts..and got a response (emailed to you) from

He indicated he has a box of such collets

either email him or call him at 949-294-2171

Known to many here as Leigh Knudson at MarMachine

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
I forwarded the photos and the information to a number of my
cohorts..and got a response (emailed to you) from

He indicated he has a box of such collets

either email him or call him at 949-294-2171

Known to many here as Leigh Knudson at MarMachine

Thanks. I just dropped him an email, and I'll give him a call during the
week if he doesn't get my email.