Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default New steel I don't recognize

On Thu, 08 Oct 2015 14:32:08 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Ed Huntress fired this volley in
:

but keep in mind that
A36 is a very loose specification, traditionally based on strength and
weldability, with only slipshod nods to ductility, etc.

All I said was it was a strongly-magnetic as A36. I made NO other
comparisons to it. ???

But that's the steel used for the majority of non-certified structural
shapes. The point is that you can't tell what the alloy is,
specifically, even if you suspect it's A36. If its galvanized, it's
nothing fancy, and A36 or some other non-grade that's even lower on
the totem pole is likely.

It could contain some nickel, or even some chromium, if it's a random
mess of remelt. It isn't some rust-resistant alloy if it's galvanized.
I'm sure you know that even a broken coating of zinc is somewhat
protective even at 1/8 in. or so from the zinc.

--
Ed Huntress

--
Ed Huntress