Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default New steel I don't recognize

On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 2:59:45 PM UTC-4, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

They had only one piece that would suit: It was obviously hot-dip
galvanized (no problem in itself), had cut ends (after galvanizing), and
had sat in the yard, in the weather (wet) for weeks to months before I
rescued it.

Has anybody worked with a steel that demonstrates these properties? I
think I'd like to find more of it! G

Lloyd

My guess is that it is one of the structural steels and the fact that it does not rust is because it is hot dipped galvanized. After all why would they have galvanized it , if it would not rust without the galvanizing. My wild guess is that it is something like A709-HPS70W or A852.

If you can not get an analysis at your local college, let me know. The local scrap yard has a XRF analyser and I think I could get them to test a sample. The sample would have to have the galvanizing removed.

Dan