Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default New steel I don't recognize

Ignoramus20635 fired this volley in
:

My guess is that it is just carbon steel, and it did NOT sit around
for months and that is why it is not rusted where it was cut.

I can assure you it did, Ig. I dug it out of wet dirt; One end was
exposed (which was how I found it), the other end almost 3" below the
surface! The soil was thoroughly-compacted around it. It's been soaking-
wet here for months; rain almost every day, and temps in the mid 90s.

Besides, the 'dew test' I gave it would have rusted any common structural
steel overnight. Even when bare steel things stay 'dry' here, they rust
overnight if not in an AC'd environment! It's Florida. G

Lloyd