Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Removal of overgrown weeds

I purchased a length of unused, since long ago, railroad track, for
scrap metal. This track, on a private property of course, is overgrown
with full size weeds and some brush.

I am trying to come up with the most practical, meaning quick and
involving minimum of tools, way to clean that brush around the rails.

I cannot use fire for sure.

My best idea so far is a bush trimmer. Any other ideas? I do not think
that a lawnmower will do.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus31981" wrote in message

I purchased a length of unused, since long ago, railroad track, for
scrap metal. This track, on a private property of course, is overgrown
with full size weeds and some brush.

I am trying to come up with the most practical, meaning quick and
involving minimum of tools, way to clean that brush around the rails.

I cannot use fire for sure.

My best idea so far is a bush trimmer. Any other ideas? I do not think
that a lawnmower will do.

Anyone around with a tractor and bush hog?

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-08-19, RogerN wrote:
"Ignoramus31981" wrote in message

I purchased a length of unused, since long ago, railroad track, for
scrap metal. This track, on a private property of course, is overgrown
with full size weeds and some brush.

I am trying to come up with the most practical, meaning quick and
involving minimum of tools, way to clean that brush around the rails.

I cannot use fire for sure.

My best idea so far is a bush trimmer. Any other ideas? I do not think
that a lawnmower will do.

Anyone around with a tractor and bush hog?

I doubt that a tractor will do well around the rails.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-08-19, RogerN wrote:
"Ignoramus31981" wrote in message

I purchased a length of unused, since long ago, railroad track, for
scrap metal. This track, on a private property of course, is overgrown
with full size weeds and some brush.

I am trying to come up with the most practical, meaning quick and
involving minimum of tools, way to clean that brush around the rails.

I cannot use fire for sure.

My best idea so far is a bush trimmer. Any other ideas? I do not think
that a lawnmower will do.

Anyone around with a tractor and bush hog?

I doubt that a tractor will do well around the rails.

Unless the rail line is really really bad you should be able to mow down to
track level with a decent stump jumper. Mine mounts to the three point and
cuts at any height I raise it or lower it too. Below that you might be able
to use a road side trimmer on the outside from the service road (if there is
a service road on private property.)

After that you are down to using a rotary trimmer. I had one with chains
once that did an amazingly good job on stuff upto about 1"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, August 18, 2014 6:58:36 PM UTC-7, Ignoramus31981 wrote:
I purchased a length of unused, since long ago, railroad track, for

scrap metal. This track, on a private property of course, is overgrown

with full size weeds and some brush.

I am trying to come up with the most practical, meaning quick and

involving minimum of tools, way to clean that brush around the rails.

I cannot use fire for sure.

My best idea so far is a bush trimmer. Any other ideas? I do not think

that a lawnmower will do.

Is Bambi available?

"Where Bambi goes, nothing grows"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 18 Aug 2014 20:58:36 -0500, Ignoramus31981
wrote:

I purchased a length of unused, since long ago, railroad track, for
scrap metal. This track, on a private property of course, is overgrown
with full size weeds and some brush.

I am trying to come up with the most practical, meaning quick and
involving minimum of tools, way to clean that brush around the rails.

I cannot use fire for sure.

My best idea so far is a bush trimmer. Any other ideas? I do not think
that a lawnmower will do.

weed wacker of course. Never heard of them?

Everybody makes brush blades for em these days. $20 at Home Despot.

--
"Living in the United States now is like being a Tampon.
We're in a great place, just at a bad time."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I purchased a length of unused, since long ago, railroad track, for
scrap metal. This track, on a private property of course, is overgrown
with full size weeds and some brush.

I am trying to come up with the most practical, meaning quick and
involving minimum of tools, way to clean that brush around the rails.

I cannot use fire for sure.

My best idea so far is a bush trimmer. Any other ideas? I do not think
that a lawnmower will do.

weed wacker of course. Never heard of them?

Everybody makes brush blades for em these days. $20 at Home Despot.

I have a small electric weed wacker. Would it work with a brush blade,
I do not care if it works slower than an engine powered one?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I purchased a length of unused, since long ago, railroad track, for
scrap metal. This track, on a private property of course, is overgrown
with full size weeds and some brush.

I am trying to come up with the most practical, meaning quick and
involving minimum of tools, way to clean that brush around the rails.

I cannot use fire for sure.

My best idea so far is a bush trimmer. Any other ideas? I do not think
that a lawnmower will do.

weed wacker of course. Never heard of them?

Everybody makes brush blades for em these days. $20 at Home Despot.

I have a small electric weed wacker. Would it work with a brush blade,
I do not care if it works slower than an engine powered one?

Define "small"

Most of them require a gas engine. It should be noted that they can
be had at places like Harbor Freight for $60 or so. Add a gas can, a
bottle of two stroke oil and gas..and you might be up to $85 for
something that will wack it flat in short order. They arent
commercial machines..but for light commercial work a couple times a
year they work ok. Not a lot of power for running a brush blade...but
they will get by.

If I were you..Id head down to the pawn shops and buy a nice beefy one
that runs and has a brush blade with it.

Worst case..Wally World etc etc

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Snapper-St...r-Red/29677322

As for a blade...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grass-Gator-...-/301232259002

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MTD-Replacem...-/321488708202

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BROGIO-BRUSH...-/300668802237

Hit the pawn shops...look for Shindawa, Sthil, Tanaka, Husky, Echo
at the top of the list..but its gonna need to be at least 25 CI
engine.

Something like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tanaka-30-8c...-/281376591345

You didnt say how big the property was, or how often you need to clear
it.

Also!! Hit the small engine repair shops and look for a good used
one. Many shops will have good weed eaters..commercial machines that
came in, were repaired and the owners never bothered to pick em
up..so you may be able to get a commerical machine for very little
money.

Next factory you close up..check the Utility/landscaping store rooms.
Having a Good chainsaw and a Good weedeater hanging from the walls is
far far better than having to hunt for one later.

Oh... when you are done running the machine..at the end of the
job..drain the tank Unless you can buy booze free gasoline. Pure gas
without alcohol is what you MUST use if you are going to store any
small engine. Having alcohol fuel will crap out in about 3-5
months..and come spring..the carby will need a rebuild.

Marina gas is often alcohol free. Same with Aviation gas.

And remember...better to be a bit rich in 2 stroke oil than too thin.

Ryobi makes 4 cycle engines now..maybe the others do too. Shrug.
Ive got 3 gas weed eaters..a Shindawa, a Tanaka, and a Weedeater and
a couple ****y assed electric ones for the wife. All are 2 cycle and
the newest one is 5-6 yrs old.

Just a heads up.,

Gunner

--
"Living in the United States now is like being a Tampon.
We're in a great place, just at a bad time."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus31981 wrote:
I purchased a length of unused, since long ago, railroad track, for
scrap metal. This track, on a private property of course, is overgrown
with full size weeds and some brush.

I am trying to come up with the most practical, meaning quick and
involving minimum of tools, way to clean that brush around the rails.

I cannot use fire for sure.

My best idea so far is a bush trimmer. Any other ideas? I do not think
that a lawnmower will do.

Rent a tracked skid steer with a flail cutter head on it. I have cleared
a LOT of scrub with one. The tracks will let you maneuver on the tires
better than wheels. With a descent sized rig you should be able to clear
about a mile of track in about 2 hours.

Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBLQT9ovgxY

IF the track is heavy freight weight cut a few 1' sections out and sell
them as small anvils. I've made a LOT of knives and such on mine. Should
sell for a LOT more than scrap price.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I purchased a length of unused, since long ago, railroad track, for
scrap metal. This track, on a private property of course, is overgrown
with full size weeds and some brush.

I am trying to come up with the most practical, meaning quick and
involving minimum of tools, way to clean that brush around the rails.

I cannot use fire for sure.

That's too bad, because those propane burners are simply kickass fun!

My best idea so far is a bush trimmer. Any other ideas? I do not think
that a lawnmower will do.

Weedeater for weeds, pulaski or mattock for bushes. Hire it done or
do it yourself for the exercise, but do it EARLY in the morning. It's
too hot outside for that crap after about 9am.

A knuckle boom truck (or your engine hoist) will help pulling up the
stakes. The knuckle boom will also help you load them on the truck. A
truck with air compressor will help with the nuts 'n bolts. Or, if
they're welded, rotsa ruck.

--
If I have learnt anything, it is that life forms no logical patterns.
It is haphazard and full of beauties which I try to catch as they

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 18 Aug 2014 20:58:36 -0500, Ignoramus31981 wrote:

I purchased a length of unused, since long ago, railroad track, for
scrap metal. This track, on a private property of course, is overgrown
with full size weeds and some brush.

I am trying to come up with the most practical, meaning quick and
involving minimum of tools, way to clean that brush around the rails.

I cannot use fire for sure.

My best idea so far is a bush trimmer. Any other ideas? I do not think
that a lawnmower will do.

I'm reading your post one way, and others are reading it differently.

Is it a rail line that you're disassembling, or a pile of rails?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

snip

Hit the pawn shops...look for Shindawa, Sthil, Tanaka, Husky, Echo
at the top of the list..but its gonna need to be at least 25 CI
engine.

25 CI - wow ! That'll be a handful and a half!!

snip

ROFLMAO!!...sorry..that should have been 25 CC

Sorry.

Gunner, on the road at 2:13am for So. Cal

See yall Friday

--
"Living in the United States now is like being a Tampon.
We're in a great place, just at a bad time."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Worst case..Wally World etc etc

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Snapper-St...r-Red/29677322

As for a blade...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grass-Gator-...-/301232259002

You didnt say how big the property was, or how often you need to clear
it.

If you have a larger area, I'd go with this style and a different type
cutter, in case you have some small trees.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/29558097?w...779952&veh=sem

http://www.drpower.com/power-equipme...FSMV7AodVFYAJQ

Mikek

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus31981" wrote in
message ...
I purchased a length of unused, since long ago, railroad track, for
scrap metal. This track, on a private property of course, is
overgrown
with full size weeds and some brush.

I am trying to come up with the most practical, meaning quick and
involving minimum of tools, way to clean that brush around the
rails.

I cannot use fire for sure.

My best idea so far is a bush trimmer. Any other ideas? I do not
think
that a lawnmower will do.

Yesterday I ran my riding mower across a patch of goldenrod and mostly
pushed it down flat without cutting the stems.

I have a curved-shaft JD string trimmer whose manual says to use brush
blades only on the straight-shaft models.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, August 19, 2014 1:58:36 AM UTC, Ignoramus31981 wrote:

I am trying to come up with the most practical, meaning quick and

involving minimum of tools, way to clean that brush around the rails.

One summer when I was a teenager, I worked on a survey crew. Most of the time was spent clearing lines of sight. We used Machete's. As purchased they are not sharp enough. We kept a file in the scaboard and kept the machete nearly razer sharp. On brush you slice at an angle and ought to be able to cut a branch about an inch in dia. in a single stroke.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, August 18, 2014 9:58:36 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus31981 wrote:
I purchased a length of unused, since long ago, railroad track, for

scrap metal. This track, on a private property of course, is overgrown

with full size weeds and some brush.

I am trying to come up with the most practical, meaning quick and

involving minimum of tools, way to clean that brush around the rails.

I remember seeing diesel fuel being sprayed around wooden trim dividers between slabs of cement sidewalk overgrown with brush before. It was difficult not to notice, because it really wreaked for about two days!!

I don't know if that's allowed where your property is. I'd check with the local environmental regulations, first.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I purchased a length of unused, since long ago, railroad track, for
scrap metal. This track, on a private property of course, is overgrown
with full size weeds and some brush.

I am trying to come up with the most practical, meaning quick and
involving minimum of tools, way to clean that brush around the rails.

I cannot use fire for sure.

My best idea so far is a bush trimmer. Any other ideas? I do not think
that a lawnmower will do.

weed wacker of course. Never heard of them?

Everybody makes brush blades for em these days. $20 at Home Despot.

I have a small electric weed wacker. Would it work with a brush blade,
I do not care if it works slower than an engine powered one?

Late 60's I had a rotary lawn mower with the front skirt broken off
the deck such that about one inch of blade was exposed - greatest rig
for cutting back spreading lillac bushes I ever used, Dangerous as
hell though!
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

On Monday, August 18, 2014 9:58:36 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus31981 wrote:

I purchased a length of unused, since long ago, railroad track, for

scrap metal. This track, on a private property of course, is overgrown

with full size weeds and some brush.

I am trying to come up with the most practical, meaning quick and

involving minimum of tools, way to clean that brush around the rails.

Last time I had a chore like that, I wound up using a hedge trimmer. It's amazing what you can do with a cheap hedge trimmer against dense, woody weeds.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Worst case..Wally World etc etc

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Snapper-St...r-Red/29677322

As for a blade...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grass-Gator-...-/301232259002

You didnt say how big the property was, or how often you need to clear
it.

If you have a larger area, I'd go with this style and a different type
cutter, in case you have some small trees.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/29558097?w...779952&veh=sem

http://www.drpower.com/power-equipme...FSMV7AodVFYAJQ

Mikek

The problem with anything with wheels..is the railroad ties that the
track is bolted to.

Kinda hard to wheel that Remington trimmer over the tracks..and that
means one will have to manuver it between each individual tie. Gonna
take forever that way.

Spraying weeds robgraham UK diy 21 September 20th 12 09:24 AM
Case of the overgrown insert? krw[_5_] Woodworking 45 November 3rd 09 03:20 AM
Herbicides, Get rid of all of your weeds herbicidesdirect Home Repair 4 March 7th 08 09:48 PM
Weeds on tarmac EricP UK diy 4 April 13th 07 06:06 PM
Weeds on driveway Slugsie UK diy 10 July 13th 03 09:11 PM