Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Weeds on tarmac

On 13 Apr 2007 06:06:15 -0700, Eddy Young
wrote:

Hi,

A recent arrival to this country (5 years) and a first-time homeowner, I let
myself be scammed by the tarmac cowboys (as later told by neighbours!) Now, one
month after having it laid down, I can see weeds are starting to grow through.

Should I have it re-tarmac'ed? Or, will I be better off trying to control the
weeds? There are no stems yet, but I suspect these won't take too long.

The driveway is about 25 sq. metres. If I have it redone, how much should I
expect to be quoted?

Incidentally, the weeds don't p*** me off as much as the realisation of having
been had :-(

Eddy

If weeds are coming through this early, the stuff must be total
rubbish. You will therefore be spending the rest of your life waiting
for the inevitable weed to break through.

Take it as a lesson learnt and replace it with a reputable company.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Apr 2007 06:45:09 -0700, Eddy Young
wrote:

In article , EricP says...

If weeds are coming through this early, the stuff must be total
rubbish. You will therefore be spending the rest of your life waiting
for the inevitable weed to break through.

I doubt I will be in this house for the rest of my life, but yeah, I get the
point ;-)

Take it as a lesson learnt and replace it with a reputable company.

I'm trying to convince myself that for the price (ie £400), at least the
driveway looks better than before when it turned muddy whenever it rained and
weeds grew all over the place, except that judging from the state of things, it
may not be too long before things get as bad.

My SO is convinced that with regular weedkiller spraying, we will have the upper
hand, but I seriously doubt that.

Eddy

Sounds like it's only about a couple of inches thick at most. A
dandelion will make short work of that in the warmer weather.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sounds like it's only about a couple of inches thick at most.

That's more than my local council puts down when it does roads and
pavements.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Eddy Young" wrote in message
In article , EricP says...

Sounds like it's only about a couple of inches thick at most. A
dandelion will make short work of that in the warmer weather.

Sounds like replacing the whole thing is the only solution. What would be

a fair
quote for 25 sq. metres of [tarmac] driveway in North Hampshire? Anyone

can
recommend a reliable company?

Cheers,

Eddy

--
http://priscimon.com/blog

You know the drill for private e-mails.

See here http://www.hants.gov.uk/scrmxn/m03813.html
for list of contractors that Hampshire council use.

I thoroughly recommend Bill Bromley (now run by son Richard). they are
based in southern hampshire and I don't know how far north they stray.
We've used then through work and I drive daily over their work years after
it was done with no problems at all. Mention Roke Manor which is where I
work, if you talk to Richard.

Good Luck

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"adder1969" wrote in message
oups.com...

Sounds like it's only about a couple of inches thick at most.

That's more than my local council puts down when it does roads and
pavements.

They will usually only be replacing the wearing layer. There will be a
sub-base, several inches thick, below that, which is almost certainly
missing on the drive in question.

Colin Bignell

Where to buy bags of RED patching tarmac? nafuk UK diy 6 April 9th 18 11:33 AM
Red patching tarmac - where to buy nafuk UK diy 0 February 14th 07 10:38 AM
Marking boundary in Tarmac. Dave Fawthrop UK diy 25 October 16th 06 03:35 PM
Repairs to tarmac drive Crewood UK diy 5 August 7th 06 11:38 PM
How to repair depression in tarmac driveway keith UK diy 7 October 23rd 05 11:19 PM