Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Removal of overgrown weeds

On Mon, 18 Aug 2014 22:19:53 -0500, Ignoramus31981

On 2014-08-19, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 18 Aug 2014 20:58:36 -0500, Ignoramus31981
wrote:

I purchased a length of unused, since long ago, railroad track, for
scrap metal. This track, on a private property of course, is overgrown
with full size weeds and some brush.

I am trying to come up with the most practical, meaning quick and
involving minimum of tools, way to clean that brush around the rails.

I cannot use fire for sure.

My best idea so far is a bush trimmer. Any other ideas? I do not think
that a lawnmower will do.

weed wacker of course. Never heard of them?

Everybody makes brush blades for em these days. $20 at Home Despot.

I have a small electric weed wacker. Would it work with a brush blade,
I do not care if it works slower than an engine powered one?

Define "small"

Most of them require a gas engine. It should be noted that they can
be had at places like Harbor Freight for $60 or so. Add a gas can, a
bottle of two stroke oil and gas..and you might be up to $85 for
something that will wack it flat in short order. They arent
commercial machines..but for light commercial work a couple times a
year they work ok. Not a lot of power for running a brush blade...but
they will get by.

If I were you..Id head down to the pawn shops and buy a nice beefy one
that runs and has a brush blade with it.

Worst case..Wally World etc etc

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Snapper-St...r-Red/29677322

As for a blade...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grass-Gator-...-/301232259002

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MTD-Replacem...-/321488708202

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BROGIO-BRUSH...-/300668802237

Hit the pawn shops...look for Shindawa, Sthil, Tanaka, Husky, Echo
at the top of the list..but its gonna need to be at least 25 CI
engine.

Something like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tanaka-30-8c...-/281376591345

You didnt say how big the property was, or how often you need to clear
it.

Also!! Hit the small engine repair shops and look for a good used
one. Many shops will have good weed eaters..commercial machines that
came in, were repaired and the owners never bothered to pick em
up..so you may be able to get a commerical machine for very little
money.

Next factory you close up..check the Utility/landscaping store rooms.
Having a Good chainsaw and a Good weedeater hanging from the walls is
far far better than having to hunt for one later.

Oh... when you are done running the machine..at the end of the
job..drain the tank Unless you can buy booze free gasoline. Pure gas
without alcohol is what you MUST use if you are going to store any
small engine. Having alcohol fuel will crap out in about 3-5
months..and come spring..the carby will need a rebuild.

Marina gas is often alcohol free. Same with Aviation gas.

And remember...better to be a bit rich in 2 stroke oil than too thin.

Ryobi makes 4 cycle engines now..maybe the others do too. Shrug.
Ive got 3 gas weed eaters..a Shindawa, a Tanaka, and a Weedeater and
a couple ****y assed electric ones for the wife. All are 2 cycle and
the newest one is 5-6 yrs old.

Just a heads up.,

Gunner

--
"Living in the United States now is like being a Tampon.
We're in a great place, just at a bad time."