Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT, Bakersfield CA relocation.

I have found my current career path at a dead end because of the company I
work for. I have gained the skills they need but they outsource the work
and don't have a position open for what they need.

Anyway, I'm open to relocation now and have been contacted by a recruiter
for a position in Bakersfield CA. at Chevron. I told the recruiter that I
wouldn't' be interested unless the position paid an outrageous amount of
money. He asked how much I have in mind, and hence this post. This is a 28
hour drive from my current location and where my family lives. To consider
this position, I need an estimate of the cost of living in the Bakersfield
area. What I want would be enough money to equal what I make now plus the
additional cost of living in Bakersfield (a place to live plus utilities)
plus enough to fly my family home multiple times per year.

I've found some positions I'm trying for within 5 or 6 hour drive that pay
in the $120k range, I'm thinking I'd want $150K to relocate to Bakersfield,
but I don't know the cost of living there.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RogerN wrote:

I've found some positions I'm trying for within 5 or 6 hour drive that pay
in the $120k range, I'm thinking I'd want $150K to relocate to Bakersfield,
but I don't know the cost of living there.

You are likely to find Bakersfield CA an attractively inexpensive place
to live. Other attractions might be harder to identify.

bob prohaska

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 19:13:58 -0500, "RogerN"
wrote:

[...]

http://www.centralvalleybusinesstime.../001/?ID=26109
http://www.erieri.com/RelocationAsse...FSwS7AodqG0AiQ
http://www.apartments.com/California/Bakersfield/?frontdoor=google&cmp=GMSA&O_PK=apartment%20in%20b akersfield%20ca#xkLmAsrrDwgP%2f5ZvW2jPQnGOUp9mGVIz x5L2ja-|fB8rvhGEXfk8sbLW36beZKFJYRrbEN-|QLlMz9QkCEz%2fK1N1W2w88PDtQQH%2f8iAcYHlZ04fheBJ0Y %2fZuLO4weGHnTTInehoXHGa7ejt%2fmgFLi9J-|IvtQq-|MNRuIVFJvdO8LFkXj89J6y9nSAx7xTKvmstLNfKz0gCrp09fz 2CGqf-|NtQqU2Z3-|r%2fwu
http://www.bakersfieldnow.com/news/l...263517601.html
http://www.citywatchla.com/8br-hidde...elves-to-blame
snip
And, of course, you can’t beat our air quality where we are
totally dominant, according to the American Lung
Association. Los Angeles, Bakersfield, Visalia, Fresno,
Sacramento Hanford and San Diego hold the top seven places
for ozone and six of the top 10 spots for year-round
particle pollution.
/snip
--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-06-20, User Bp wrote:
RogerN wrote:

I've found some positions I'm trying for within 5 or 6 hour drive that pay
in the $120k range, I'm thinking I'd want $150K to relocate to Bakersfield,
but I don't know the cost of living there.

You are likely to find Bakersfield CA an attractively inexpensive
place to live. Other attractions might be harder to identify.

There is a certain wilderness attraction in Bakersfield, where rusting
forklift hulks are nicely combined with rusting everything else, on a
disputed piece of private land. Like a wildlife safari, you may enjoy
that.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RogerN" on Thu, 19 Jun 2014 19:13:58 -0500 typed
I have found my current career path at a dead end because of the company I
work for. I have gained the skills they need but they outsource the work
and don't have a position open for what they need.

Anyway, I'm open to relocation now and have been contacted by a recruiter
for a position in Bakersfield CA. at Chevron. I told the recruiter that I
wouldn't' be interested unless the position paid an outrageous amount of
money. He asked how much I have in mind, and hence this post. This is a 28
hour drive from my current location and where my family lives.

Is that 28 hours "on the road"?

To consider
this position, I need an estimate of the cost of living in the Bakersfield
area. What I want would be enough money to equal what I make now plus the
additional cost of living in Bakersfield (a place to live plus utilities)
plus enough to fly my family home multiple times per year.

I've found some positions I'm trying for within 5 or 6 hour drive that pay
in the $120k range, I'm thinking I'd want $150K to relocate to Bakersfield,
but I don't know the cost of living there.

Try the following for general data. You can make a comparison
between two cities. Just keep in mind "YMMV", in terms of "less pay
but less cost of living" - "Same pay, lower COLA", or even "Am I
willing to take a pay cut to get into 'the field'?"

http://www.bestplaces.net/city/california/bakersfield

--------------------
Compared to the rest of the country, Bakersfield's cost of living is
4.00% Higher than the U.S. average.

The unemployment rate in Bakersfield is 7.90 percent(U.S. avg. is
6.30%). Recent job growth is Negative. Bakersfield jobs have Decreased
by 0.24 percent.

Ranked #73 High Gas Prices - Which Cities are Hit the Hardest?

Average Commute time is 23 minutes. The National Average is 25
minutes.
--------------------

OF course, it also depends on what your local cost of living is.
Moving from Seattle would be a great improvement:
" Compared to the rest of the country, Seattle (zip 98105)'s cost of
living is 68.20% Higher than the U.S. average." And it is about to go
higher.
"San Francisco's cost of living is 142.60% Higher than the U.S.
average."

All that is before you get to the details that California is a one
party state, and if you are not in one of the elite communities, so
what?
Bakersfield is inland desert - meaning hot and dry in the summer.
and Dry the rest of the year. Lots of sun, but ...
--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 20 Jun 2014 14:41:35 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[...]

The good news: You'd be living near Gunner.
The bad news: You'd be living in Fort StinkinDesert, near Gunner.

--
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message

"RogerN" on Thu, 19 Jun 2014 19:13:58 -0500 typed
I have found my current career path at a dead end because of the company I
work for. I have gained the skills they need but they outsource the work
and don't have a position open for what they need.

Anyway, I'm open to relocation now and have been contacted by a recruiter
for a position in Bakersfield CA. at Chevron. I told the recruiter that I
wouldn't' be interested unless the position paid an outrageous amount of
money. He asked how much I have in mind, and hence this post. This is a
28
hour drive from my current location and where my family lives.

Is that 28 hours "on the road"?

Yes, the map says 27 hours, 28 hours counting traffic.

I've found some positions I'm trying for within 5 or 6 hour drive that pay
in the $120k range, I'm thinking I'd want $150K to relocate to
Bakersfield,
but I don't know the cost of living there.

Try the following for general data. You can make a comparison
between two cities. Just keep in mind "YMMV", in terms of "less pay
but less cost of living" - "Same pay, lower COLA", or even "Am I
willing to take a pay cut to get into 'the field'?"

I agree, this makes it difficult when recruiters want to know how much pay
you're looking for. If it's a job I want bad enough and as close or closer
to home, I'd go for the same pay or perhaps a small pay cut. If I would
have to relocate, it depends on the cost of living at the new location and
the distance I'd be moving away from my family. Also the benefits are a
consideration. Bottom line is that I don't want to be worse off such as
equally adjusted pay with less benefits, longer drive, etc. I'd want the
position to cover the increase in my expenses for taking the job.

RogerN

snip
--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, June 19, 2014 8:13:58 PM UTC-4, RogerN wrote:
I have found my current career path at a dead end because of the company I

work for. I have gained the skills they need but they outsource the work

and don't have a position open for what they need.

Anyway, I'm open to relocation now and have been contacted by a recruiter

for a position in Bakersfield CA. at Chevron. I told the recruiter that I

wouldn't' be interested unless the position paid an outrageous amount of

money. He asked how much I have in mind, and hence this post. This is a 28

hour drive from my current location and where my family lives. To consider

this position, I need an estimate of the cost of living in the Bakersfield

area. What I want would be enough money to equal what I make now plus the

additional cost of living in Bakersfield.

Would all be for not? Because credit rating agencies would see that you live in Bakersfield, as opposed to a place of less notoriety. Money isn't just cash, its also debit, credit, etc...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , RogerN
wrote:

I have found my current career path at a dead end because of the company I
work for. I have gained the skills they need but they outsource the work
and don't have a position open for what they need.

Where do you currently live?

Anyway, I'm open to relocation now and have been contacted by a recruiter
for a position in Bakersfield CA. at Chevron. I told the recruiter that I
wouldn't' be interested unless the position paid an outrageous amount of
money. He asked how much I have in mind, and hence this post.

Recruiters always ask this question in some form, and it's a sucker's
bet to answer with a number.

The fact is that they are not going to pay more than the rates that
their competitors would pay, so if you are too high you don't get the
job, and if you are too low you just left money on the table.

My answer always was some form of the "market will decide so I'll be
comparing offers".

An added factor to be consider: If you are in an isolated location,
and the dream job ends (business downturn, need to get costs under
control, boss don't like your haircut, and so on), where else can one
get a job, and will it be in any sense comparable? Said another way,
one is generally better off in places with complicated economies, as
the various sub-economies usually vary independently of one another.

But Petroleum does pay well, and is pretty stable.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques on Fri, 20 Jun 2014
21:43:04 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
wrote:

[...]

You win some, you lose some, some are rained out. But it will be
easier to pick up deals on machine tools. B-)
--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RogerN" on Sat, 21 Jun 2014 05:18:28 -0500 typed
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

As I told the recruiter - this job is about at my limit for a
commute. But that is a flexible limit, depending on how much the pay
is, etc - and I need the job, so I'm a lot less picky.

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe Gwinn on Sat, 21 Jun 2014 13:18:46 -0400
In article , RogerN
wrote:

[...]

There is a saying that Yakima is a nice place, but almost
impossible to move away from.

But Petroleum does pay well, and is pretty stable.

Joe Gwinn

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Cost of living in Bakersfield...is quite inexpensive. So is housing
Bakersfield is well laid out and very easy to get around in. Crime is
low.

However..some things to consider.

Its California. Bakersfield is in the middle of a nice Red zone. CCW
is easy to get. Fishing is good with a lot of lakes within a 2 hour
drive.

Housing is inexpensive..though gettting higher as the housing bubble
inflates again. No "assault rifles" allowed..(see link below)

If you want a cheaper place than IN Bakersfield..there are many rural
properties that can be had very reasonably. $80 will get you a nice
home, with a big shop, on an acre.
Travel time is about 1 minute a mile..so if you decide you want to
live 15 minutes away..thats about 15 miles.

Bakersfield temps in the winter time run from mid 30s-70F
Summer time temps run from 90-107F, with humidity around 12-30%.. so
swamp coolers work nicely. We are in the middle of an Ag area..so
there are a gazillion miles of farms around us.

Call me if you want any further info or to chat about the area
805-732-5308

If you can get a job with Chevron..JUMP on it. Its a lifetime career
and they offer very..very good retirement.

I live 30 miles outside of Bakersfield, in Taft, which is also
surrounded by Chevron etc etc..

And it should be mentioned again..its California. A very nice Red
part..but its California.

I would suggest either picking up an RV and putting it in an RV park
and flying home every other weekend, or simply renting a small
house/apartment until you decide THIS is your path and start looking
for a home..and there are loads available within 20 miles of
Bakersfield for well under $150k on big rural lots.

Schools here in Kern Co are quite good, they are well paid for by oil
company taxes and they are not as Leftwing as many other places.
But..it IS California. Ive lived here for 30+ yrs and have had many
opportunities to move. Shrug..I like it here. And Im as rednecked as
they come.

Gunner

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, June 21, 2014 11:59:39 AM UTC-7, Mark Wieber lied again:

Schools here in Kern Co are quite good, they are well paid for by oil

company taxes and they are not as Leftwing as many other places.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakersfield,_California

"Bakersfield has consistently ranked as one of the least educated metropolitan areas in the United States. A study by the Brookings Institution using 2008 data found that the proportion of Bakersfield metro adults age 25 and over with a bachelor's degree was the lowest (14.7%) of the 100 largest metropolitan areas in the United States; that 100th place finish was down from being ranked 95th in 1990."